Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

So I opened up my gift from under the tree and what did I find? I've never heard of this but my wife and kids would hear my speak about track days and my desire to get on my first. So for Christmas, they got me this club membership to ride on all the tracks along the New England seaboard?

A Team Pro-Motion Sport Bike Club Membership.

www.teampromotion.com

Actually, when I saw the membership, I told my lovely wife. You didn't realize what you just did right? With this blessing now, I am justified in getting:

1. awesome race leathers and loads of talcum powder to slide in/out - been eyeing RS Taichi's for awhile
  2. gauntlet gloves with full protection - open
  3. new helmet...I can't risk my road helmet Shoei - probably a Suomy or another Shoei
  4. calf high raceboots - SIDI

and the only reasonable thing.....drum roll

a Track Daytona...did you honestly think I would risk dropping my street bike?

I don't think my wife knew what she got herself into...but I love her and the gift was great.

Anyone a member to this? Any insight or suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Let's keep it civilize folks, my wife and kids and have no idea about sports bike racing etc... all they heard was that I wanted to do track days and poof...license to race? I think we're gonna do a family day and trailer my bike down. :nod:

Good times...

·
Premium Member
9,297 Posts
Congratulations man. I am signed up with Team Pro Motion's Full Throttle Membership for the 2011 season (also a Christmas present from my gf). I have done many track days with them, they always put on a good show.. have yet to be disappointed.

And the membership that you have there is a track day membership, there is no racing unless you complete their "racing school" and obtain a "race license" through either CCS or WERA.

Also, no need to grab a track bike just yet.. maybe do 1 or 2 track days with your street bike and see how you like it. Novice group tends to ride at a pace where it is hard to outride yourself. If you find yourself addicted to the track within that first day.. then yes, go pick up a track bike. :laugh:

·
Registered
499 Posts
All,

So I opened up my gift from under the tree and what did I find? I've never heard of this but my wife and kids would hear my speak about track days and my desire to get on my first. So for Christmas, they got me this club membership to ride on all the tracks along the New England seaboard?

A Team Pro-Motion Sport Bike Club Membership.

www.teampromotion.com

Actually, when I saw the membership, I told my lovely wife. You didn't realize what you just did right? With this blessing now, I am justified in getting:

1. awesome race leathers and loads of talcum powder to slide in/out - been eyeing RS Taichi's for awhile
  2. gauntlet gloves with full protection - open
  3. new helmet...I can't risk my road helmet Shoei - probably a Suomy or another Shoei
  4. calf high raceboots - SIDI
and the only reasonable thing.....drum roll

a Track Daytona...did you honestly think I would risk dropping my street bike?

I don't think my wife knew what she got herself into...but I love her and the gift was great.

Anyone a member to this? Any insight or suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Let's keep it civilize folks, my wife and kids and have no idea about sports bike racing etc... all they heard was that I wanted to do track days and poof...license to race? I think we're gonna do a family day and trailer my bike down. :nod:

Good times...
Excellent gift :thumbup:

Boots - i would suggest the Supertech R's instead of the Sidi's.
Instead of talcum powder - get the Alpinestars 1pc "tech race" undersuit. It makes getting in and out of your suit easy and actually keeps you cooler.

Hit up the RidersDiscount forum for good deals on that stuff (and another helmet).

Track bike - your street bike is fine, especially in the Novice group. No sense in baby-ing it and worring about laying it down. It was meant for the track.

Your TPM membership has nothing to do with racing. That is simply a membership to attend their track days. If you want to race, you will need to take a race school and earn your race license. But i would suggest doing several track weekend first. :thumbup:

Good luck.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Im looking forward to the 675 track day with STT; i missed it last year but hope to make this one and meet some of you guys.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Woo - TPM! I love riding with this organization. Their coaches care about helping you ride, faster, smoother and easier.

And listen to what everyone else said. No need to drop a ton of money...yet.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all, some really good feedback.

I'm so excited to do a track day. I looked TPM's events and saw a few. The Pocono's is the closest one to me, so I thought I'd try that one. However, I've heard from some of my friends that race cars that the track is a bit "rough". Oh well, I'll try it out and see what its all about.

As for the gear, I think I want to try the least expensive and safest route for now as most have suggested. Maybe those two words might not sound correct in the same sentence?

I'll use my street helmet, and bike for now. However, I really do want to buy some boots. I've been eyeing street/race boots for over 8 months now. I know, it takes me forever to "research"? I have sport touring pants but they're made for the rain/touring world, would they work for the track? I don't want to invest in leather pants that zip to my Teknic leather top and find out I don't want to stick with track days? For gloves, I have some shorties now and gauntlet cold weathers but I think I'm gonna get some gauntlet race types.

What do you guys suggest?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Pocono is "ok". At white group pace you'll be fine. Think of it as the college basement keg party. Seems great till you start going to "real" parties (but you'll always look back on it fondly).

There a lots of guys who make the trek from LI to go to NJMP - as the season gets closer post here and on the TPM board. You can probably catch a ride.

As for boots, there are lots of nice ones out there - Sidi, Astars, etc. Personally, i like my Arlen Ness boots. Decent price and great protection. TPM also rents equipment.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I'm really surprised anyone is still riding at Pocono. Haven't touched that place in over 4 years.

Since you're going to stay overnight before your first day, make the effort to NJMP. Real facilities, real hotels, real food, real poddock, better weather, and a management staff that welcomes riders.

I must have done 50+ track days at Pocono. Despite the nostalgia, I don't miss it one bit.

Besides the location, everyone here is giving good advice. Take it easy, listen to instructors, and don't worry about the bike. Do your best to relax, take what ever new rider's school you can, leave your ego at home, and trust your tires!

Oh, and thank your wife :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
awesome Christmas gift! if you're looking for a great pair of gauntlets at a reasonable price, check out the group buy umicheng is running for Heroic SP-R Pros. It's open until Jan. 15. Looking forward to seeing you and the others at some of the TPM trackdays this season :thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts