Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watching a WRC video about how the Countryman is being made into a rally car. :nod: Glad to see another manufacturer jumping back in to WRC. :thumbup:

·
Registered
78 Posts
They had one in the Dakar. Okay, it was based on the BMW X3, but it looked like a big mini and didn't crash out quite as bad as the Hummer!

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it sounds as if it takes about 2 years of research and development to get a WRC car ready for competition. Sadly, the odds are slim that they will be super-competitive right away. Even after all that research they will still break shit early and often when actually in competition.

·
Registered
90 Posts
They had one in the Dakar. Okay, it was based on the BMW X3, but it looked like a big mini and didn't crash out quite as bad as the Hummer!
Yeah, the Dakar Mini really wasn't a Mini at all. Pretty much no relation to the WRC efforts. But it is good to see the name out there!

Too bad the guy rolled the Dakar Mini on the rest day.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
eh... FIA is ruining shit new 2011 rule NO TURBOS!!!! NO Subie and no Mitsu.......only Ford / Citroen / and now I guess Mini....... Blah I love Ford but fuck man Im gonna start keeping up with IRC rather than WRC-FIA.

and FUck that NASCAR crap bring back WRC to SPEED

·
Registered
350 Posts
eh... FIA is ruining shit new 2011 rule NO TURBOS!!!! NO Subie and no Mitsu.......only Ford / Citroen / and now I guess Mini....... Blah I love Ford but fuck man Im gonna start keeping up with IRC rather than WRC-FIA.

+1 n/a is gay.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I agree, I can understand limiting weight, engine size and overall hp. But there is already a n/a class, S2000. Why not keep WRC as the daddy of them all like it used to be? They still have the best drivers, but with only 3 manufacturers in there now it just doesn't make sense to me to limit them so strictly. What was wrong with the way WRC used to be? Huh? Lately it's been all Citroen and fuckin' Loeb. He's getting as difficult to beat as Schumacher. haha

·
Premium Member
9,297 Posts
I agree, I can understand limiting weight, engine size and overall hp. But there is already a n/a class, S2000. Why not keep WRC as the daddy of them all like it used to be? They still have the best drivers, but with only 3 manufacturers in there now it just doesn't make sense to me to limit them so strictly. What was wrong with the way WRC used to be? Huh? Lately it's been all Citroen and fuckin' Loeb. He's getting as difficult to beat as Schumacher. haha
+1 Loeb is a freaking monster. I mean he is damn good, but I don't think his competition is quite as worthy.. We need some more drivers on his level to make it exciting.

And it will be interesting seeing the Mini out there.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Screw this new WRC, lets bring back group B!!! :bowdown:

But anyways, the contryman looks pretty cool in WRC guise.

·
Registered
402 Posts
no turbo's!??!?!?!?! WTF!

I wish someone pulled this rock off of me earlier :laugh:

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of turbo's but I thought that was the only way to get super quick cars out of stupidily small engines. I may try and catch a round or two to see if it's still entertaining. Hard to get it on Free-to-air telly over here so it's been a while since I've watch the WRC.

Screw this new WRC, lets bring back group B!!! :bowdown:

But anyways, the contryman looks pretty cool in WRC guise.
Hoohaa bring back the beasts! haha. Next thing they'll bring back the 500 GP bikes from the 80's. Carnage all round. haha.

Gotta agree, the mini does look cool in race spec. Pity it won't run the spotties all the time.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no turbo's!??!?!?!?! WTF!

I wish someone pulled this rock off of me earlier :laugh:

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of turbo's but I thought that was the only way to get super quick cars out of stupidily small engines. I may try and catch a round or two to see if it's still entertaining. Hard to get it on Free-to-air telly over here so it's been a while since I've watch the WRC.

Hoohaa bring back the beasts! haha. Next thing they'll bring back the 500 GP bikes from the 80's. Carnage all round. haha.

Gotta agree, the mini does look cool in race spec. Pity it won't run the spotties all the time.
Oh yeah, those N/A engines are putting out serious power. They can live without the turbo's, but I don't get why they have to. I've been catching up on WRC with my new membership to the racing-underground. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Check it, I think that IRC will become what WRC used to be:thumbup:

http://www.ircseries.com/html/Manufacturers.asp
I agree, I just wish they'd bring some races to North America. We've got some pretty good races and drivers here, but nothing near the caliber the European circuits and WRC has. Rally just hasn't caught on in the States, it's a shame really since it has to be the most exciting racing event there is. (Isle of Man TT is pretty wicked too) :thumbup:

I can't say I've ever seen one of these Honda Rally cars. :hmm:
http://www.jasmotorsport.com/en/RaceA.aspx?Aut=90&Id=51

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I agree, I just wish they'd bring some races to North America. We've got some pretty good races and drivers here, but nothing near the caliber the European circuits and WRC has. Rally just hasn't caught on in the States, it's a shame really since it has to be the most exciting racing event there is. (Isle of Man TT is pretty wicked too) :thumbup:

I can't say I've ever seen one of these Honda Rally cars. :hmm:
http://www.jasmotorsport.com/en/RaceA.aspx?Aut=90&Id=51
I think the reason is liability for death of onlookers.... I wish they would bring more here aswell, hey that's a chance you take...If you want to be that close to the action.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8lrmQP3NeU"]YouTube - Almost Hit, Close Calls, - Dead Experience Rally Compilation[/nomedia]

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think the reason is liability for death of onlookers.... I wish they would bring more here aswell, hey that's a chance you take...If you want to be that close to the action.

YouTube - Almost Hit, Close Calls, - Dead Experience Rally Compilation
Probably, buncha chicken shit American's. Afraid of getting hit by a little bitty car. :laugh:

I can't believe how close the spectators get at Rally events. What's more amazing is how it doesn't seem to phase the drivers. That's pure concentration right there. :nod:

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
They have pedestrian-resistant bodywork, so they don't care :coolgleamA:

As soon as minimum weights were enforced to get Lotus/Caterhams and Minis out there was no point anymore.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I can't believe how close the spectators get at Rally events. What's more amazing is how it doesn't seem to phase the drivers. That's pure concentration right there. :nod:
haha funny you mention that. A bit of a god down here was the late Possum Bourne. There was some in car footage of him going nuts down a straight and someone distracted him in the the large crowd (can't remember what they did). He then says "what the fuck" as he tumbles through the air after clipping and bank.

Some more footage of him was similar but a girl pulled her top up :smile: Again he said "what the fuck?" but him and his co-driver had a chuckle about it. They interviewed him after the stage and he said he wanted to finish quicker so he could get back. haha

I wish I could find the clips. Bloody entertaining driver. He took sideways to a whole new meaning.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
haha funny you mention that. A bit of a god down here was the late Possum Bourne. There was some in car footage of him going nuts down a straight and someone distracted him in the the large crowd (can't remember what they did). He then says "what the fuck" as he tumbles through the air after clipping and bank.

Some more footage of him was similar but a girl pulled her top up :smile: Again he said "what the fuck?" but him and his co-driver had a chuckle about it. They interviewed him after the stage and he said he wanted to finish quicker so he could get back. haha

I wish I could find the clips. Bloody entertaining driver. He took sideways to a whole new meaning.
Nice, I'll look him up. What racing circuits did he compete in?

I have been keeping a close eye on Ken Block lately, he's got the talent and just needs a bit more practice (Especially in the snow as he got his ass handed to him by those Scurvy Scandinavians in the Sweden WRC the other day) He's got a flamboyant style that WRC needs. He knew he didn't have a chance to beat the more experienced drivers in Sweden so he set his sights on jumping the furthest over the big ones. :nod: Of course I like him because he is the only American in the WRC, we don't get very many at that level. He's just one of those guys that makes the sport even more fun to watch.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
More the merrier I say.
I love WRC, best form of Car Racing there is. Lets hope by trying to keep the cost down and going to smaller cars there will be more manufacturers entering.
Seb Loeb is what is called an Alien in motor GP he is in a class of his own. Put him in any of those WRC cars an he would win. Thats the great thing about WRC its all about the driver and not so much the car.(except reliability) Look a Pete Solberg finishing third last year in a private C3 and he so funny

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
More the merrier I say.
I love WRC, best form of Car Racing there is. Lets hope by trying to keep the cost down and going to smaller cars there will be more manufacturers entering.
Seb Loeb is what is called an Alien in motor GP he is in a class of his own. Put him in any of those WRC cars an he would win. Thats the great thing about WRC its all about the driver and not so much the car.(except reliability) Look a Pete Solberg finishing third last year in a private C3 and he so funny
Did you watch the Sweden race? He was having some trouble with the new Citroen for 2011. That and being the first on the track there was some fresh snow that was causing him to have serious traction issues. Poor bastard, but it gave Mikko Hirvonen the opportunity to kick some ass. Glad to see Ford get a win right out of the gate. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts