Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Unfortunately not this weekend, no. I have been looking at heading over there for one of their car and bike practice days though. A couple good mates have cars they track often (Mitsubishi evo 9-modified, Lotus elise- modified, Lotus exige-modified) so I might head over in a group with them. I can put the daytona in my SS ute (big brakes, coilovers and 400hp) to get it over there then track them both!

What's Winton like to ride? I've never been there.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like it to race on, in the club racing they use the short track which is around 1min- 1.12 depending on ability, it doesn't give you any time to rest, as the straight is pretty short.
The Vic Titles and Open meeting use the long track which has two long straights (not great on a 675 against an 1198) but is still good, lap times from 1.25s (really fast superbike) to what ever you can do.
It's bumpy in places and some of the ripple strips are as high a road gutters with a cambered edge, so they can be challenging if you run wide.
It is an absolute bastard in the wet, it would have to be the slipperiest track in OZ, they have fixed some cracks etc in the track with the hot tar that you pour onto them and in the wet they have no grip

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
No, not this time, but thanks for the heads up.

As I swing my focus away from road riding and more towards the track I reckon I'll start heading further afield eventually ... I can't ride Mallala the rest of my life, and the only other track I have any real experience on is Eastern Creek ... back in the day.

Considering selling the Daytona to put more effort into the track thing. So I always appreciate posts like this giving notice of whatever track days/races are on ... I'll get there eventually.

Still haven't completely written off Mac Park, either. We'll see how that goes. Working wife and little kids can make juggling the time very tricky.

O.B

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I like it to race on, in the club racing they use the short track which is around 1min- 1.12 depending on ability, it doesn't give you any time to rest, as the straight is pretty short.
The Vic Titles and Open meeting use the long track which has two long straights (not great on a 675 against an 1198) but is still good, lap times from 1.25s (really fast superbike) to what ever you can do.
It's bumpy in places and some of the ripple strips are as high a road gutters with a cambered edge, so they can be challenging if you run wide.
It is an absolute bastard in the wet, it would have to be the slipperiest track in OZ, they have fixed some cracks etc in the track with the hot tar that you pour onto them and in the wet they have no grip
Sounds like it's a bit of a challenge. Don't like the sound of the gutter like ripple strips or tar repairs (have encountered these on the road- not good) but I'll still try to get out there this summer.

They never do the long circuit for trackdays?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Sounds like it's a bit of a challenge. Don't like the sound of the gutter like ripple strips or tar repairs (have encountered these on the road- not good) but I'll still try to get out there this summer.

They never do the long circuit for trackdays?
They use the long circuit for track days, and they have a Test/Setup day for people with Racing licence on Friday's.

I like Winton. A fun track to ride.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Good luck in the most wonderous weather that we're having....

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Nine MSN is reporting the same.

Condolences...

Feel for you. Weren't you racing at the Island when the fatality happened last year?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.