Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just moved the bike up north to my fathers garage for the winter, next to his harleys....haha

Anyways, what do you guys do for the winter? Drain the fuel? Do anything? Should only be sitting for about 4 months but we will start every week or two.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well for the winter I put the bike on stands and drain and change the oil, I put stable in a full gas tank and I use a fogging spray for the cylinders. Other then that She just sits and waits to be modded haha. No need to constantly start it...leave it alone if you arnt going to ride it.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
add stabilizer, run it for 10 minutes and top off the tank with fuel. Changed the oil and put a new filter in. Also pulled the battery and keep it in the house.

·
Super Moderator
11,896 Posts
For that short of period all you really need to do is top up the tank, remove the battery, and I recommend changing the oil. Oil becomes acidic as you run the bike so you don't want it sitting in the bike for long periods of time. If you're going to store for a year or more then fog the cylinders. If you're going to store for more then 6months put in a fuel stabilizer of some sort.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Winter SUCKS. Luckily It'll give me time to get some things powder/ceramic coated and hopefully I'm going to rent a trailer soon so I can get the Striple in to finally get the head bearings replaced.

You guys who still ride - I salute you. Way too much ice/snow/salt/shitty drivers on the roads here.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I took a ride today in my ski gear. I had to make sure it was good gear bc I'm going on a ski trip tomorrow :thumbup: plus it was 37 today, way to warm for the winter.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Just moved the bike up north to my fathers garage for the winter, next to his harleys....haha

Anyways, what do you guys do for the winter? Drain the fuel? Do anything? Should only be sitting for about 4 months but we will start every week or two.
Put clean oil in. Starting the bike creates a lot od acids from the cold start mix and you need to ride about 10 miles to bring the oil up to temperature and burn them off, so do not start the bike. If it's left with old oil, over time the acids contaminating it migrate into the bearing spaces and etch the surfaces, reducing engine life.

It's worth drying the fuel system by pulling the fuel line from the tank and running the engine until it stops. Fill the tank to prevent condensation inside it. Don't forget to put the fuel line back or you'll be scratching your head next Spring when you can't figure why it won't start.

Take the battery off. Give it a 6 hour trickle charge once a month to keep it in tip top condition.

If it's parked on concrete, put something like an old pice of carpet between the tyres and the concrete.

Best to clean the bike, wax the paint and lube the chain, cables and anything else that moves. Throw a dust sheet over it to protect the paint.

Personally I ride all Winter. The longest I haven't been able to get a decent ride in is about three weeks, so it isn't worth storing for that.

Rob

1 - 20 of 21 Posts