Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And the thread creator banned?

Triumph675.Net Forums

I don't see anything particularly offensive or spammy in content...

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update:

I checked his IP and the location checks out, I also cross referenced it with http://www.stopforumspam.com/ and it came back clean.

When I undeleted the thread I noticed the spammy looking link in his sig line and I assume that's why the thread got nuked in the first place. I checked out the link, and it's a business out of PA which also checks out with his location. I went ahead and lifted his ban because I don't really see what the harm is in it.

Unless somebody objects?

·
(RIP) Wiser than you I was
5,852 Posts
I nuked it at 2:00 AM. Guess it looked a little spammy to me being half awake. I don't care one way or the other if its back up.

·
Premium Member
9,297 Posts
I nuked it at 2:00 AM. Guess it looked a little spammy to me being half awake. I don't care one way or the other if its back up.
Funny, I "unapproved" it like 10mins ago. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
9,297 Posts
Funny, I "unapproved" it like 10mins ago. :laugh:
OOPS! Just read Budo's post.. Thats why I only unapproved it. Ill fix it.

·
Premium Member
2,977 Posts
On the other site, we completely forbid the posting of links to businesses in signatures, unless that person is a site sponsor.

Not sure why we would allow someone to post their link to their business when they don't sponsor the site.

JMHO

·
5,852 Posts
Got to agree with Jeff on this one. That's why I dumped it in the first place.
Although, my bike would look cool with a Triumph, Miami Dolphins, U of M, and maybe a Budweiser flag streaming of the back. :laugh:

·
5,852 Posts
OK, I just dumped a guy who added a lame comment to an old thread with a link to kitchen cabinets at the bottom. Whats the difference? A spammer is a spammer. Only one had motorcycle related products. :hmm:

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Scott, I just figured it seemed (at the time) that this guy is an actual person rather than a spam bot that randomly generates replies in threads.

Honestly, I don't care if a company comes in and starts advertising on the forum. We've repeatedly asked Stew and Yung about the issue and have not received a definite answer.

There's quite a few people on the forum that has their business/workplace (motorcycle sales related) linked in their sig. SiW for one, Brancart another, and I've seen more but I can't remember their usernames at the moment.

Jeff, I understand that RAT.net has stricter rules than 675.net regarding advertising. But that forum has stricter rules regarding everything. To be honest, if this forum turns into the over-bureaucratized forum that RAT.net is I'd probably not visit it as often. However, that's simply my opinion from an observer's perspective.

P.s. If anybody has been back to that thread you'll see that "Flag Guy" is actually looking at getting a 675. If you feel that strongly about the sig line, PM the guy and let him know that it's against the rules and ask him to remove it ;)

·
Premium Member
2,977 Posts
I think we need a position stated from the owners, because if we start picking and choosing who we allow to have links to their companies we'll end up with a mess.

I really could care less either way, but it seems a bit inconsistent for one site, owned by the same company, to have one position regarding revenue related issues from the other.

rat.net started out being owned by an individual who pledged to keep the site family friendly in all aspects, and in that regard it is very different from this one. However, when you begin allowing signatures to include links to businesses and those same people market their wares in the forums, why would someone make the decision to become a site sponsor and pay for their own subforum and ad banner?

Those people help pay the bills to keep this place up and running and if you allow a whole bunch of freeloaders to swoop in and steal away business from the people paying the bills, they will eventually say, screw it and will stop paying, but will still market their products here.

I'm not referring to the posting of NSFW content or anything else that makes trat.net significantly different than this site, I could really care less about that. I'm talking about revenue related issues. It's a business and unless they establish a policy on this type of stuff, that revenue will go away and this place will implode.

Jeff

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think we need a position stated from the owners, because if we start picking and choosing who we allow to have links to their companies we'll end up with a mess.
That ^ is what I've been trying to get from the beginning.

If we have a definite rule then we can enforce it. I hate having to tell someone that they can't have a certain item in their sig line because I "think" it's not allowed, especially when I would rather leave it there in the first place. I'm also not about to lie and tell them it's not allowed when the site owner doesn't really give a crap (or has given that impression so far).

So... we're back where we started.

Put it up to a vote? :laugh:

·
Premium Member
9,297 Posts
Vote.. Kinda leaning towards leaving business "links" out of signatures.

·
5,852 Posts
Vote.. Kinda leaning towards leaving business "links" out of signatures.
In rethinking my position on this matter I would let someone link there goods if its something that none of our sponsors sell. I don't think any of them are selling flag mounts? That and, I don't think hes gonna sell any here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts