Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am getting one because I can see my self working using it..lol

I work on my STi a lot so I am finding that it is going to be better and faster if I have one, rather than me trying to use an electric impact gun.. or this or that..

My main question is the following I have see a lot of different size fittings via 3/8, 1/4..etc I plan on getting a 30-60 gallon air compressor but what size hose and fittings. I can't seem to located what fittings are standard on air tools?

Is it 1/4 male fitting or is it 3/8 male fitting? I figure the bigger diameter hose is better.. I don't plan on using a little nailer or things like that where a 1/4 hose would be ideal right? I've also see letters next to the fittings and have no clue what that means, IE: M, or T..etc.

I guess you could say the main reason for the air compressor and use is going to be for automotive garage duty...everything else is a bonus if I use it for other stuff.. Main stuff, air ratchets, impact gun, etc..

Thanks,
-Nigel

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm torn now between these two... both appear to be very good reviews...

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hard...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

http://www.lowes.com/pd_221495-14989-LLA1683066_0__?productId=3115861&Ntt=kobalt+30&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dkobalt%2B30

The kobalt is actually the same price as the husky in the store.. so price doesn't matter at this point because they are both the same price..
I can actually get 10% off of the Lowes brand so take 10% off the 379... it's like 40bucks almost making it around $330... to me that's pretty good.

I measure and only have enough room for the 30 gallon... 60/80 gallon isn't an option until we get a bigger house.

Thanks,
-Nigel

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
I have two of them, have had for years. Wouldn't be without them.

The little one - I don't even know the size - lives in the garage and does duty inflating car and bike tyres and kids' toys.

The 'big' one is a 17cfm, 3hp job that lives in my shed. It runs my air tools - die grinder, drill, sand blaster - and does a million jobs because it has a big tank and will just keep going all day without losing much pressure.

I arsed around for ages trying to work out what was the 'standard' fitting for air comps .... then I just bought a couple of each fitting in male and female and made up some adaptors. Now I can borrow my brother's air tools any time I want!

Seriously though ... once you have an air compressor, you'll wonder how you ever did without it. Just make sure it has the motor size and tank capacity to feed the highest consumption tool you plan to use. In my case, that tends to be the sand blaster.

Now ... once you have a sand blaster, you'll wonder how you ever did without one ... etc ...

O.B

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have two of them, have had for years. Wouldn't be without them.

The little one - I don't even know the size - lives in the garage and does duty inflating car and bike tyres and kids' toys.

The 'big' one is a 17cfm, 3hp job that lives in my shed. It runs my air tools - die grinder, drill, sand blaster - and does a million jobs because it has a big tank and will just keep going all day without losing much pressure.

I arsed around for ages trying to work out what was the 'standard' fitting for air comps .... then I just bought a couple of each fitting in male and female and made up some adaptors. Now I can borrow my brother's air tools any time I want!

Seriously though ... once you have an air compressor, you'll wonder how you ever did without it. Just make sure it has the motor size and tank capacity to feed the highest consumption tool you plan to use. In my case, that tends to be the sand blaster.

Now ... once you have a sand blaster, you'll wonder how you ever did without one ... etc ...

O.B
that's what I'm thinking as well, out of those two above which do you think is good?

I am leading more towards the lowes one simply because it's 2 mins from the house, and I can get 10% off the 379 price...

-Nigel

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
that's what I'm thinking as well, out of those two above which do you think is good?

I am leading more towards the lowes one simply because it's 2 mins from the house, and I can get 10% off the 379 price...

-Nigel
Nigel -

I'm no expert but I'd be leaning towards the Lowes, too ... because it's slightly higher spec'd, it seems, and also because it's a V-twin ... and for some reason I simply can't remember right now (I think it may have been lower revs, hence less wear?) the vees are meant to be better.

How unscientific is that?

I reckon you'll probably be very happy with either - trust me, once you're pumpin' your own air, you'll never look back!

O.B

·
Registered
928 Posts
Just so you know, Husky and Kobalt are the same Chinese brand with different paint to be sold at rival stores. Home Depot gets Husky and Lowes get Kobalt. If the specs are the same, they'll probably act the same.

sassafras

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nigel -

I'm no expert but I'd be leaning towards the Lowes, too ... because it's slightly higher spec'd, it seems, and also because it's a V-twin ... and for some reason I simply can't remember right now (I think it may have been lower revs, hence less wear?) the vees are meant to be better.

How unscientific is that?

I reckon you'll probably be very happy with either - trust me, once you're pumpin' your own air, you'll never look back!

O.B
That's what I figured, so f it guess I'll get the lowes..lol I cant' wait honsetly.. mainly for workin gon my car, I am just tired of trying to get shit loose when an air gun will do it no problems...

Just so you know, Husky and Kobalt are the same Chinese brand with different paint to be sold at rival stores. Home Depot gets Husky and Lowes get Kobalt. If the specs are the same, they'll probably act the same.

sassafras
That's what I thought too however the Husky ones are made by Campbell Hausfeld and from research I think the kobalt ones are either that or coleman... People keep saying that the newer one posted above is also made by Campbell Hausfeld...

Shit for 300 I'm not gonna complain I guess...

Just gotta figure out the fittings now.

Anyone can answer this, but what is the fittings normally on air tools? Is it 1/4" or 3/8"? Can they be changed.. IE: If I run 3/8" hose I woudl obviously want a 3/8" fitting for the tool... I think I read soemwhere most tools standard are 1/4?

-Nigel

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welp I go to lowes to pick up the compressor today and it was listed at 429... I said I was here two days ago and it was 379. The dude was like let me check... and then came back and said it was 429... I was like fuck this then. I'll go to home depot and get the other one.

Shit pisses me off, Guess I should have gotten it two days ago or maybe it was a glitch in their system...arg.

-Nigel

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
When I fisrt came to the the States 3 years ago I needed a comprssor so went and bought a Husky thinking it would be good quality American made etc.
After a year the motor burned out and tried to get a new one. They would only sell me a complete unit with the compressor for $140, so screw them and went and bought a cheap Harbour Freight one for $80 its better cheaper and if you buy the $19 2 year warranty they will exchange it after 2 years no charge even if its not broken!!!and you can just keep on re-newing the warranty every 2 years. So 10 bucks a year for a copressor seems like a good deal to me!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Not sure if you still need the info but here it is anyways. 1/4" fittings usually go with 3/8" hose. That is the standard hose and fittings for most tools. A sand blaster might need more cfm so a 3/8" fitting and 1/2" hose is usually used. Try and stay away from the pvc hose as they are very stiff and difficult to work with. Get rubber it might not be as durable but its worth it over the headache of trying mess with the pvc hose.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Not sure if you still need the info but here it is anyways. 1/4" fittings usually go with 3/8" hose. That is the standard hose and fittings for most tools. A sand blaster might need more cfm so a 3/8" fitting and 1/2" hose is usually used. Try and stay away from the pvc hose as they are very stiff and difficult to work with. Get rubber it might not be as durable but its worth it over the headache of trying mess with the pvc hose.
I agree.:thumbup:

·
Registered
832 Posts
I've had several compressors....and the one I've had the best luck with is an Ingersoll Rand. I've had a Crapsman, or Craftsman....didn't last long. Then I bought one at Home Depot....it was before the Husky brand became their house brand...forget the model name. Then my most recent purchase was an Ingersoll Rand. Bought it at Tractor Supply Company. By far the best I've had.

Here's one at TSC that would be a bit more than the Lowes, and HD units....but would last you a loooooong time. Awesome quality!

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tools/...gersoll-rand-60-gallon-air-compressor-3496111

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've had several compressors....and the one I've had the best luck with is an Ingersoll Rand. I've had a Crapsman, or Craftsman....didn't last long. Then I bought one at Home Depot....it was before the Husky brand became their house brand...forget the model name. Then my most recent purchase was an Ingersoll Rand. Bought it at Tractor Supply Company. By far the best I've had.

Here's one at TSC that would be a bit more than the Lowes, and HD units....but would last you a loooooong time. Awesome quality!

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tools/...gersoll-rand-60-gallon-air-compressor-3496111
that one looks freaking awesome. I just don't have room for a 60/80 gallon air compressor.. sucks ass because I would without a doubt go withthat size...

I can only have room for a 30gallon in my current space setup and even then it's pushing it just a little but that's the lowest I'm willing to go.

Everything that I read the one husky brand is actually Campbell Hausfeld through and through so at least I'm happy about that...lol

Thanks all for the fittings sizes.. that makes sense now and helps out a lot!

-Nigel

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One quick question with quick disconnects..

When I am using tools and want to switch between air ratchet and impact gun cna I simply just disconnect the one tool and connect the new one while the tank is pressureized and on? Or do I have to have an on/off ball valve after teh compressor and shut it off, bleed the air hose then switch tools then turn the on/off back on?

Thanks,
-Nigel

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
One quick question with quick disconnects..

When I am using tools and want to switch between air ratchet and impact gun cna I simply just disconnect the one tool and connect the new one while the tank is pressureized and on? Or do I have to have an on/off ball valve after teh compressor and shut it off, bleed the air hose then switch tools then turn the on/off back on?

Thanks,
-Nigel
Normally just unplug the one and plug in the next, thats why they are called quick discontects :)

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Normally just unplug the one and plug in the next, thats why they are called quick discontects :)
Sweet. I wasn't sure if by doing so would cause the hose to start whipping or soemthing to go haywire...

I'm used to paintball systems that are 4500psi.. doing so will not be so good..lol

Thanks!

-Nigel

·
Registered
187 Posts
If you have a harbor freight nearby go and get the red, green, or blue colored quick disconnects. They are made by the same company and are a lot cheaper there. By doing so you can separate your dry lines from the lubricated ones if necessary. Or look for Milton fittings. Pricey but will last forever.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I've heard the Harbor Freight air compressors are actually pretty good. Haven't done much research on them though.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
I've heard the Harbor Freight air compressors are actually pretty good. Haven't done much research on them though.
I have had no problems with mine in the past two years and will be paying my $19 swapping it out soon for a new one :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts