Triumph 675 Forums banner

What is your motorcycle tire wear profile?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to know if how everyone wears their tires. :whistle:

Does your tire wear out the front faster, the rear, or wear at about the same rate?

I typically replace 2 fronts for every rear. My co-worker on his BUSA's 2 rear for every front.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
roads here are crap, the backs have a tendency to disappear

·
Registered
538 Posts
Just wanted to know if how everyone wears their tires. :whistle:

Does your tire wear out the front faster, the rear, or wear at about the same rate?

I typically replace 2 fronts for every rear. My co-worker on his BUSA's 2 rear for every front.
how do you manage two fronts for every rear? you somehow have front wheel drive rigged up?

·
Registered
189 Posts
On the track, front and rear wear very evenly... Once on the street though, the rear gets destroyed in no time practicing victory lap antics.

Best way to get your full money out of a set of tires... :whistle:

·
Chiperator
5,539 Posts
I typically replace 2 fronts for.
Huh?? That's a new one....do you like doing stoppies? :grin:
Seriously, I have never heard of 2 fronts to one rear, sounds almost impossible unless you run a super soft front and a rock hard rear....even then.... :question::question::question:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
2 rears to 1 front usually, this bike,however, I might get 3 rears. I never use the front one:whistle:

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how do you manage two fronts for every rear? you somehow have front wheel drive rigged up?
Huh?? That's a new one....do you like doing stoppies? :grin:
Seriously, I have never heard of 2 fronts to one rear, sounds almost impossible unless you run a super soft front and a rock hard rear....even then.... :question::question::question:
Well that's been my wear pattern in the past. I don't do a lot of quick acceleration which may explain the lower wear rate in the rear. On this bike I'd been accelerating more liberally, just too much fun to ride. I do brake and tend to push the front more around corners. As 75% of breaking takes place in the front...perhaps that's why I wear out 2 front for every 1 rear. When the front's worn, there's usually more meat in the middle than the sides.

Wait a few months and I could tell if my wear pattern remains the same. I just put on a set of Dunlop RoadSmarts...(dual compound hard center) we'll see if they last longer as well.

·
Registered
301 Posts
2 rears to 1 front usually, this bike,however, I might get 3 rears. I never use the front one:whistle:
you bad boy hahahaha. i'm still on the factory front and will replace it when i replace the rear again. that'll be the third rear tire this thing has seen

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
2 to 1 for me, mind you I rreally went far to long in replacing the front.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I wear out the sides first.........:whistle:

·
Mod & "Resident Baller"...
7,797 Posts
^^^ Yep:thumbup: My tires last one month. I use the last Sunday's race tires for Saturday practice/track days throughout the month. And at Willow Springs, the right side wears out quicker. So I often flip the rear tires during practice so that they were more evenly. I go generally through about 10-12 sets a year. Tires are the biggest single expense (besides the bike) for racing.

·
Registered
753 Posts
^^^ Yep:thumbup: My tires last one month. I use the last Sunday's race tires for Saturday practice/track days throughout the month. And at Willow Springs, the right side wears out quicker. So I often flip the rear tires during practice so that they were more evenly. I go generally through about 10-12 sets a year. Tires are the biggest single expense (besides the bike) for racing.
Hey Al-

I could use some input on tires as it seems you are getting more mileage than me at twice the speed. I'm running the BT003s(26 rear, 28 front) and wore the rear past the wear bar in one day at Fontana. Seems I'm getting about 3 days on the front. Am I ok running them past the wear bar, and how far? I'm planning on keeping it to flip, but I sure would like to get more than a day out of a tire. Should I go with a different tire? Tige thinks its fine of course, but damn, $250 per day on tires is really not cool.

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
Hey Al-

I could use some input on tires as it seems you are getting more mileage than me at twice the speed. I'm running the BT003s(26 rear, 28 front) and wore the rear past the wear bar in one day at Fontana. Seems I'm getting about 3 days on the front. Am I ok running them past the wear bar, and how far? I'm planning on keeping it to flip, but I sure would like to get more than a day out of a tire. Should I go with a different tire? Tige thinks its fine of course, but damn, $250 per day on tires is really not cool.
Are you serious!!! Only 1 day!!! And the BT 003 was going to be my next tire choice to try. If that's the case, screw that, I better look elsewhere

But to answer to this thread...if its street. 2 rears to 1 front. Track, (though I haven't had the need to switch...but maybe after my upcoming track day) you switch em at the same time. Currenty on BT 002s...love them but too bad they no longer make them. Going to try next the Dunlop 209s w. a 190 rear.

·
Premium Member
2,977 Posts
It all depends on the compound and your riding style.

At the track, both wear evenly if you have selected the correct compound front and rear for the conditions.

On the street, it is typically two rears for every front as you shouldn't be pushing it hard enough on the street to invoke much wear on the front from braking or cornering forces.

If you are wearing the front significantly on the street, then you are breaking the law... and I know none of here would ever advocate or participate in such antics...:whistle:

TripleThreat

·
7,797 Posts
Hey Al-

That's odd! I can usually get two good track days out of a set of 003's (same with Pirelli's), and then an extra day or so at a less than 100% pace. By then, my front's are sometimes a little more toast than the rear, depending on the track. In the spring and winter, I use the medium compounds. Are you getting a tearing effect on the rear tire? Are you using the soft compound 003's? If so, Try going with a medium compound. In the middle of summer, I actually go for a hard rear and medium front.

In any event. since it seems you are getting a lot more life out of the front tire, my guess is that you may be slowing it down a bit more than you need to in the corners and then gassing it relatively hard coming out of the corners (I used to be pretty bad at this). This may actually cure itself a little bit as you start getting smoother and rolling on the trottle, instead of using it as more of an on-off device. That took me quite a bit of time to get semi-right, and I'm still not great at it. It's one of those things that Jason Pridmore talks about a lot at STAR school. Part of it is instead of rushing at full speed to the corner, then hitting the brakes hard, may try slowing down to comfortable speeds gradually as you are approaching the corner. then keep steady maintenance throttle through the corner (instead of off-on movements in the corner) and then gradually letting on the throttle as you are planning your exit.

Another suggestion is that maybe your suspension needs a little work? That could be the case in particular if there are uneven tearing patterns or tearing on the tire.

Me personally, I usually run the tires way beyond the bars till there is almost no tread at all left. They literally look almost like slicks on the sidewalls. By then, however, it's just on track days, and by then, for example, I might be cruising in the 1:42-1:44''s at California Speedway instead of pushing for 1:37-1:38's. It's a matter of comfort with your tires though. I just slow it down to where they are not moving too much under me. If they start moving and sliding too much, to the point that I am no longer feeling confident and no longer able to ride in a "fun" manner.. I swap them out. I use that as a gauge for me instead of the wear bars.

If I'm pushing for laptimes rather than fun, I generally swap out the tires when I feel them starting to slide a bit.. like sliding two or three times a lap.. then I figure it's time...rather than risk crashing. Sometimes it's the front that starts to give way, sometimes its the rear... At the Big Track, it's usually the rear. At Streets of Willow, I'm a lot harder on the front tire than the rear, so it usually starts going first.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Awesome points Al, thanks!

·
7,797 Posts
Oh, and by the way, I am just making a few assumptions.. turns out you may actually be twisting the throttle pretty good if your pace is Level III. I tend to see the wear lines as "suggested" wear on track tires:smile: Unless you are feeling them slide, I would say they are still good.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts