Triumph 675 Forums banner

RIM OPTION

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok I already have on order some nice CF rims but want to do something with my OEM ones as well, so I have two options that I am looking at.

option A: powder coat OEM rim GOLD/SY type

or

option B: trade/sell OEM rims and find som SE gold rims.......

I am leaning more toward A because the purchase of the CF rims and I already have the rims off the bike and stripped down, due to the rebuild. I am also about to send round two off to the powder coater and could easily add em in the boxes.

so what to do ???

·
Registered
123 Posts
From my experience i would trade unless you can find a powder coater that would strip the wheels. Stripping the wheels was the biggest PITA of my whole project, it was worth it but I got burned out real quick when i got to the stuff in the corners that needed to be stripped. It may have been a little easier to use a detail sandblaster with plastic media but I wanted the outsides polished so i sanded them instead.

Thats my 2 cents, someone may have a better way to strip them then I used but it was a pain I wouldnt do it again thats for sure.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what method did you use to strip em?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I used an angle die grinder with the blue pads, the red cut in too far, but if you were going to powdercoat I imagine you could use the red to strip and the blue to finish off a little. Powder coating may not take as much time, i spent probably about 15 hours on both but that was taking them all the way to the metal then polishing up the lips and taping them. The primer/sealer they used on them does not come off easy.

these are the pads I was talking about there are usually three colors, brown red and blue. Brown is course then red then blue is the finest.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=65715 I didnt get them from HF but this was the easiest spot to find them.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I would PC if you allready ordered some nice rims. a local guy around here quoted me at $140 to do both wheels gold. this included stripping, blasting, masking, and powdercoating. It was $30 more to add a clear coat on both rims.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I love the look of the gold SE rims, but how easy is it to get a pair second-hand? I have never never seen a pair for sale over here.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Powder coating will probably be your best bet. SE rims usually go for a grip when they are for sale on here. I wanted gold and the SE ones were just a shade too light for my liking, which was why I ended up getting mine powder coated and went a bit darker. They did all the prep work for me. Most places that do good work will also do their own prep work. They would rather do it themselves and make sure it looks good in the end, as opposed to someone bringing in parts that are not properly prepped and have them turn out half ass. Mine were a little over 200 for everything.

·
Premium Member
9,300 Posts
I voted "other comment."

Give the rims to me. :whistle:

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The rims I have ordered are from BST but are custom with a hint of gold in the rim, platescarriers, and hubs all gold.

the gold is slightly darker then the SY of my bike

once I add these on my CF to SY ratio will be 2:1

·
Registered
516 Posts
ok I already have on order some nice CF rims but want to do something with my OEM ones as well, so I have two options that I am looking at.

option A: powder coat OEM rim GOLD/SY type

or

option B: trade/sell OEM rims and find som SE gold rims.......

I am leaning more toward A because the purchase of the CF rims and I already have the rims off the bike and stripped down, due to the rebuild. I am also about to send round two off to the powder coater and could easily add em in the boxes.

so what to do ???
I would throw a set of slicks on the CF's and use em on the track only. That is the best way to get your moneys worth. Put a sweet custom paint job on the oem's and run them on the street. Why risk messing up a $$$ CF's due to pore road conditions or even worse by some old lady that is always waiting to pull out in front of you plus the rest of the idiots.... "I swear I never saw him"

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the M's are too nice for my wallet after haveing a lil workout my wallet is too light as it is

most likely gonna pc stockers gold and add a black two line stripe to em

·
Registered
51 Posts
To strip paint off of other things I would submerge the parts in dran-o for a couple hours. They'll come out looking freshly polished. Beats the hell out of sanding, sand blasting, or any other physically laborious act.

So, if you go the powdercoating route, you might try that.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I got mine powdercoated and the coater did all the prep. I just carried the parts and they took care of the rest, and it was cheap. I couldn't be happier with the results.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
its gotta be brutal to keep the white, white though!

Im gonna pc em sy/gold and add a strip on both sides of rim

·
Registered
278 Posts
hey, do you have to do anything else for those wheels? Do you have to re gear and or remap? I was thinking about getting them as well. I can't find any kind of good deal on them, carbon fiber seems to be like that.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The rims I have ordered are from BST but are custom with a hint of gold in the rim, platescarriers, and hubs all gold.

the gold is slightly darker then the SY of my bike

once I add these on my CF to SY ratio will be 2:1
very envious of your bsts'.:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts