Triumph 675 Forums banner
9341 - 9360 of 9387 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yikes. Still not sure why anyone would dump a hydro tensioner for a manual...

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
Because the chances of a manual tensioner taking a crap, then BOOM!!! is a lot less likely than having an automatic tensioner

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bit of a coolant 'splash' onto the frame right next to wear the shift rod meets the engine..little bit of research leads me to believe its either the elbow hose, coolant reservoir cap, or the radiator cap. Probably gonna tear that left fairing off tonight and take a look

·
Registered
218 Posts
I took the wheels off and got new tires put on about 2 weeks ago. I think today is the day I finally reinstall the wheels. Been too cold to ride anyway...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Because the chances of a manual tensioner taking a crap, then BOOM!!! is a lot less likely than having an automatic tensioner
Both require routine maintenance and checkups... At least with a hydro unit it adjusts and keeps relatively consistent pressure. Many folks with manual units don't bother adjusting for wear. To each their own.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Both require routine maintenance and checkups... At least with a hydro unit it adjusts and keeps relatively consistent pressure. Many folks with manual units don't bother adjusting for wear. To each their own.

Well I have to disagree.
IDEALLY they keep tension constant.
But in reality they are known to err on the loose side. Especially on startups while the oil pressure builds up.

I had that disgusting startup rattle when my bike was only 4000km old. I hated worrying about that loose chain not to mention the shame factor of a rattling engine every time my friends heard it.

That was followed by the chain buzz signifying the chain was loose when it was no where near old enough to have any significant wear.

Replaced it with OEM tensioner. Lo and behold 3-4 rides later the same happened.

Got the APE manual tensioner for cheaper and it's been running aces ever since. 38,000 km on the clock!

Just adjust ever so slightly every 20,000 km.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Good stuff. The rattle you hear is normal after a certain time period without oil pressure, I find about a week or so. Do realize that they are a ratcheting mechanism, they can't back off to cause enough slack to cause an engine. Again, to each their own. But the hydro units don't fail anywhere near as often as people elude to.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Good stuff. The rattle you hear is normal after a certain time period without oil pressure, I find about a week or so. Do realize that they are a ratcheting mechanism, they can't back off to cause enough slack to cause an engine. Again, to each their own. But the hydro units don't fail anywhere near as often as people elude to.

Yes I know they don't fail that's not what I was worried about. I was worried about my camchain banging around the case which is not supposed to happen under any circumstance.
Also that rattle cam in EVERYTIME I started the bike.
Cold, warm, stop and go situations. All the time.
Not only after a long sitting period.
It had to go.

Of course some people have better experiences with them. I'm just saying I had a horrible one even after replacing it with a brand new OEM one.
Manual one solved it instantly and indefinitely.

Cheers!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had my 9 yr old carbon fibre track wheels refurbished. A red tint was added to the clear coat and the hubs were painted satin black.
Those are sexy and it’s promising to know after that much time that refurbishing them to that state is possible. Very nice!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Booootiful!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I rode mine to work today. Was pleasant.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Nice.

9341 - 9360 of 9387 Posts