2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Good:

1. Dragging knee for the first time
2. Purchasing my '10 Daytona 675 SE
3. Purchasing my '07 R1

The Bad:

1. Highsiding on T10 at Beaverun
2. Watching my beautiful '10 Daytona 675 SE flip after lowsiding at T7 at Lighitning
3. Crashing on the street after only 1K miles on my first bike with basically no gear on.

·
Premium Member
9,300 Posts
The Good:

1. Dragging knee for the first time
2. Purchasing my '10 Daytona 675 SE
3. Purchasing my '07 R1

The Bad:

1. Highsiding on T10 at Beaverun
2. Watching my beautiful '10 Daytona 675 SE flip after lowsiding at T7 at Lighitning
3. Crashing on the street after only 1K miles on my first bike with basically no gear on.
The Good:

1) The first time I pulled out of Pit Lane at Mid Ohio on my very first track day. 2) The first time I dragged knee, (later that day)
3) Riding my 2008 SE (my first 675) home for the very first time.

The Bad:

1) Lowsiding my 2008 SE at only 1 month old with cold tires
2) Lowsiding my 2007 track bike at NJMP, (first track crash).
3) Being passed by a 12 year old on a 125cc bike, making me feel old and slow.

·
Mod & "Resident Baller"...
7,797 Posts
The good:

1. My first race, January, 2008
2. My first podium, April, 2008
3. My first Win, January 2011

The bad:

1. My first big crash, August 2008 (lowside in Turn 5 at Willow Springs... 4 wrist operations and off the bike for 7 months)
2. Waitng for my next race... Not reall on my bike, but still....
3. I don't really have any other memorably bad moments with my bike... Every moment is good when I'm on my bike.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Good
1) my first trip to deals gap
2) My second track day getting bumped to advanced with TTD
3) Lowside during the 2nd session of my 3rd track day. Turn 5 NJMP Thunderbolt.

Bad
1) 50 mph lowside into a guard rail
2) Almost went off a 60 ft cliff dirt bike riding in WV.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Good
1) my first trip to deals gap
2) My second track day getting bumped to advanced with TTD

Bad
1) 50 mph lowside into a guard rail
2) Almost went off a 60 ft cliff dirt bike riding in WV.
Really? under good? :whistle:

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
To put a long story short (well as short as i can :)), I was getting too cocky for my own good. And I was making pretty aggressive passes and I guess more of a risk to other riders then I needed to be for a track day. That crash put me straight. I'm much more easy going now and more interested in trying to develop skill safely.

The reason I put it under the bad too was because that crash severly slowed me down. 12 months and 6 track days later (2 in the rain) and I'm just now starting to match my old lap times and confidence on the brakes. I suspect I'll be able to triple my track time this year so I'm sure I'll get my mojo back in no time.

So ya, IMO the crash had more positives then negatives.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Good:
1. First track day and getting hooked on riding the track.
2. Waking up the morning of the day I bought my first brand new sportbike (2006 Honda CBR600RR)
3. Getting bumped up a group at my last track day validating my progress.
4. The feeling of accomplishment and enjoyment from my ride from Phila, PA to Raleigh Durham, NC and back in 2007. I know it's supposed to be only 3 but there was sort of a tie situation so I just added one.

Bad:
1. crashing my 2006 Honda CBR600RR in 2006 almost dying and being out of commission for 9 months.
2. crashing my 2006 Honda CBR600RR in 2006 almost dying and being out of commission for 9 months.
3. low siding trying to avoid getting T-boned by an SUV in Rahway, NJ in 2008 leading to a torn ACL, surgery and PT which kept me off my bike for a while.

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
Are you kidding??? I can do a list like this for each year I have been riding!!! But to keep in the spirit of it all:

The good:
1. Buying a Bonneville
2. Trackdays
3. Dragging knee the first time

The bad:
1. Crashing my first trackday
2. Credit Card debt skyrocketting in 2008 as a result of getting into TDs
3. The amount of times Ive crashed riding.

·
Registered
830 Posts
The good:
1. Buying my first bike ('98 Daytona t-595) right before graduating from college.
2. Flying $50 standby from NYC to ATL to pickup the bike and getting free bump to first class by the beautiful agent at the gate
3. picking up the 2nd bike in 2009 ('08 Street Triple) and picking up the 3rd bike in 2010 ('09 R6).

The bad (all related to the first bike, within 24 hours of the purchase):
1. riding back from Atlanta to NYC after purchasing the first bike, and within the first hour, getting caught in torrential downpour. 0 visibility, no rain gear, fully drenched.
2. 1 hour after the downpour had passed, got back on the highway and BOOOM, the rear tire blew and I was fish-tailing like crazy while trying to get off the road (this was in the middle of the night about 1am, in the middle of nowhere). Later found out I was in Greensboro, NC.
3. somehow I managed to get off the road, and parked the bike on the shoulder. While I tried to waive down the few cars that were passing by for help, the bike tipped over. The dzus bolt on the fairing punched a hole through the magnesium engine cover.

·
Registered
313 Posts
The Good:
1) First Track Day @ Summit Point
2) 2nd Track Day & School @ VIR w/Cornerspeed, and then dragging a knee for the first time!
3) Every time I put my knee on the deck and grab a handfull of throttle...it never get's old!!

The Bad:
1) First crash on the street, blind 90 degree turn on my SV1000, and into the ditch.
2) First crash on the track with the 675 @VIR, ran wide in T3, tucked the front and slid into the tire wall, and only braking my wrist.
3) Trying to find the time and money to support my habit :thumbup:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Good:
1. Buying my first motorcycle.
2. Buying my first Triumph.
3. Working for a Triumph dealer because of my bike.

Bad:

1. Blowing a base gasket on my ninja 250.
2. Dropping my Katana 750 5 times in one day because of the side stand.
3. Motorcycle accident in 2008 which left me in a wheel chair for 4 months and a couple of screws. lol

·
Race Team Sponsor
282 Posts
The good:
1) Buying my first street bike after wanting one since I was a kid
2) My first track day
3) Every time I'm on a bike

The bad:
1) Not getting to do as many TD's as I'd like (need more $$$$)
2) The feeling you get driving home from the track knowing you'll be at work the next day rather than on the track
3) Missing out on TD time because Motocross injuries

·
BOTM Marshall
3,511 Posts
The good:
1. buying my first bike, 05 Yam FZ6 with CASH. It was mine when I left the dealer
2. Riding my Daytona for the first time.
One of the local deputies was happy to let me test out the upper range of his radar gun.
Kinda went like this
Me: So what's the highest you've ever clocked anyone?
him: about 110 MPH
me: wanna change that? :biggrinjester:
The bad
1. Totalling the FZ6, breaking my arm in the process
2. watching a recliner fall out of the bed of a passing truck and come flipping and bouncing toward me like a giant fuzzy dice
3. Damn deer dogs running out in the road while me and a buddy were on a spirited backroad dash. So hard on the brakes my rear tire came off the ground at 100+....serious pucker moment

·
Registered
294 Posts
The good:
1) Getting the chance to ride at Losail in Qatar (and watching Kenny Noyes pass me like I was a braking marker).
2) Buying a crappy old Honda CB360T with my summer job money at age 18 and shortly thereafter coming to the realization that my life's course had been changed.
3) Just about any sunny fall day riding in West Virginia.

The bad:
1) Crashing on a crowded highway in Puerto Rico with my wife on the back (fortunately, low speed and no real injuries, but nothing made me feel lower than seeing her sitting in the median with her hand swelling and asking me, "What happened?").
2) See #1.
3) Dropping an expensive borrowed bike at the track. At 25 mph. On pit lane. Can you say embarrassing? Landing on my knee and tearing my ACL in the process. Surgery, PT, etc.

Shameless plug: You can read all about these in my book. See my sig. And #3 under the "bad" category is on my website: http://www.theridesofar.com/sample.html

·
Registered
294 Posts
The bad (all related to the first bike, within 24 hours of the purchase):
1. riding back from Atlanta to NYC after purchasing the first bike, and within the first hour, getting caught in torrential downpour. 0 visibility, no rain gear, fully drenched.
2. 1 hour after the downpour had passed, got back on the highway and BOOOM, the rear tire blew and I was fish-tailing like crazy while trying to get off the road (this was in the middle of the night about 1am, in the middle of nowhere). Later found out I was in Greensboro, NC.
3. somehow I managed to get off the road, and parked the bike on the shoulder. While I tried to waive down the few cars that were passing by for help, the bike tipped over. The dzus bolt on the fairing punched a hole through the magnesium engine cover.
That's one hell of a first day of bike ownership!:eek:

I have a soft spot for those first-gen fuel-injected Daytonas/Speed Triples, however.

·
Registered
294 Posts
One more thing.

The more I read about you guys who have suffered multiple surgeries, time in wheelchairs, months off the bike, etc., the luckier I feel. The measly amount of PT I had to do is nothing in comparison. Kudos to all of you who have earned the scars, done the hard work of recovery, and have gotten back on the bike.

·
Premium Member
2,977 Posts
The Good:

Learning to ride - 8 years old
Purchasing my 2006 Daytona 675 (in Graphite) New from the dealership
Getting bumped to the Advanced Class with NESBA after my 11th track day on Father's day while my wife and daughters were watching.

The Bad:

Losing good people to this sport
Crashing at the track twice (both my fault - learned a lot from each)
Seeing Bill (williams 155) get taken out in front of me at Barber at a 675 track day by another 675 for no reason...

·
Registered
531 Posts
The Good:
1. The first weekend I was ever on a bike. Took the MSF class, bought a bike the first day of class. Finished the class, went home and took my brand new bike out for a 100 mile ride.
2. My first multi state ride. CO and NM, 1600 miles in 3 days. Most of which I did alone.
3. My first track day and my first race... can't decide between these.

The bad:
1. The first time I dropped my bike.
2. My first wreck on the street.
3. My first wreck on the track.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
There really needs to be more than a few for each ... but here goes.

The good:
1) Wondering if I could cut it at my first track day, moving up a group in the morning and spending the afternoon carving up litre bikes.
2) Having my wife buy my black D675 brand new for me as a gift ... and realising on the ride home that both she and the bike were even better than what the brochure said.
3) Having my D675 criticised at the track as a 'toy' by the owner of a current model, full track Fireblade ... and responding by riding around the outside of him through Turn 2 with my knee on the deck.

The bad:
1) Seeing good friends badly hurt in senseless crashes.
2) Knowing that my wife quietly worries about me being next, but never says a word to discourage me.
3) The cost of track days, tyres, parts ...

Like someone else said ... we could do one of these for every year, possibly more often. It's a risky life, but a rich one.

Isn't that what life should be?

O.B

1 - 20 of 30 Posts