Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

As many of you probably know by now through my trolling I am in the market for a D675, 2009+. Getting very close to actually making the purchase and I am trying to get an idea on how much I should be paying vs advertised price.

My options are as follows:

1. 2010, ex-demo, ~200km on the clock. Advertised price is $14k
2. 2010, ex-demo, ~800km on the clock. Advertised price is $13800
3. 2009, one owner, ~5000km on the clock. Advertised price is $13k.

My end goal is to have a D675, 2009+, low km with an Arrow slip on exhaust, hopefully all for around the 13k mark.

All above bikes are for sale from dealers. From my limited research, I think the first two options should be able to be purchased for around the 13k mark, and the third around the 12.5k or lower mark. Are my assumptions reasonable?

Any tips regarding dealer advertised price vs. lowest actual price they will part with the bikes?

Any tips for dealing with dealers to get the best price?

None of the bikes are fitted with an Arrow exhaust and I understand they are for sale in Aus from dealerships for around $900 or can be had shipped from overseas for around $750. Am I better off asking a dealer to do me a good price on one or just buy from OS?

Regards,
Ty

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
The ex demo pricing looks like it's in line with what I paid for my first Daytona in 08, which was Ex-Demo from a dealer.
I ended up buying second hand privately when i needed a new bike, and ended up paying less for a daytona that was better cared for.

Frasers are asking $12,990 for an Ex-Demo '09 on bikesales
http://www.bikesales.com.au/all-bik...&__Nne=15&trecs=1&__D=2009&__sid=122BC6141A1B

Seems like a good deal considering how ridiculously expensive they are new these days, I swear they're a few grand more expensive than they were when I was looking back in 08.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
I'd much rather have a well taken care of used bike than a demo that customers beat to shit. I certainly don't treat demos well.

As far as price goes, used bikes are hard to judge because it really depends what the dealer paid for it. It could be they're into the 09 for $6k, could be they're into it for $12.5, you never know. Try to find comparable private party bikes and show your sales guy what they're going for, see if they'll match it. Whether you know it or not, claim they're lower mileage, all service records etc etc.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The ex demo pricing looks like it's in line with what I paid for my first Daytona in 08, which was Ex-Demo from a dealer.
I ended up buying second hand privately when i needed a new bike, and ended up paying less for a daytona that was better cared for.

http://www.bikesales.com.au/all-bik...&__Nne=15&trecs=1&__D=2009&__sid=122BC6141A1B
Seems like a good deal considering how ridiculously expensive they are new these days, I swear they're a few grand more expensive than they were when I was looking back in 08.
The Frasers bike is bike #3 that I was talking about :) Its had one owner but has 4000+ more k's than the dealer ex-demos and is a year older. I've seen a second hand 2010 model with same number of k's for same price - not interested as it is not a colour I like.

In regards to the prices, I understand they went up to something like $16500+ on the road in '09/early '10 as the ass dropped out of the AUD. Now that the AUD is at parity, the price brand new on the road is about $14800 I believe.

if your interested in an 08 model I'm contemplating selling mine.
Sorry mate, looking for '09+

I'd much rather have a well taken care of used bike than a demo that customers beat to shit. I certainly don't treat demos well.

As far as price goes, used bikes are hard to judge because it really depends what the dealer paid for it. It could be they're into the 09 for $6k, could be they're into it for $12.5, you never know. Try to find comparable private party bikes and show your sales guy what they're going for, see if they'll match it. Whether you know it or not, claim they're lower mileage, all service records etc etc.
Agreed... i'd prefer a used bike to an ex-demo, problem is there is only one in NSW that meets my criteria that is a used bike, and that is bike #3, the one at Frasers mentioned above. It was only listed yesterday. I think it is a tad overpriced.

How much of a difference in price should there be between a '09 and an '10 model bike with the exact same history and number of kms?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Give Kerrod at Prosticles in Hornsby a call, tell him your a mate of mine and I said to call him and screw him down a a decent deal.

I hate the stealership (I used to work there but have many more reasons than just that) but if a mate can get me a good price who cares where it's bought from.

I'm not sure if anyone else I know are still in the game or working for triumph. And I'll need my head ofdfice contacts for when I buy a new one :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
601 Posts
Any tips for dealing with dealers to get the best price?
Yes.

Go slowly.

Look at bike.

Chat to salesperson.

Go away.

Return, and repeat, one week later.

Keep on doing that until they sell you what you want at the price you want to pay.

At the moment, motorcycles aren't shifting real quick in Oz, especially reasonably high value, recent bikes, so just take it easy.

Anyhow, it's far too hot to ride a Daytona at the moment!

regards,CrazyCam

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Now that the AUD is at parity, the price brand new on the road is about $14800 I believe.
If you can get one brand new for $14,800 ride away no more to pay then why would you even look at a demo thats probably been given a hard time for $13.5-14k. Just get the extra cash by whatever means necessary and wheelstand out of the dealer on a brand new 675. Who knows, you might even be able to push the dealer to an even better deal if they haven't sold many bikes that month.

edit: second hand prices don't normally dont include stamp duty so once you add that in the price of a brand new bike and a year old demo are probably closer than you think.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
wait for the 675r to be on the floor. they will drop the price on a standard one then and i heard from a guy at the local dealer that it may be as much as $800 off rrp

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Yes.

Go slowly.

Look at bike.

Chat to salesperson.

Go away.

Return, and repeat, one week later.

Keep on doing that until they sell you what you want at the price you want to pay.

At the moment, motorcycles aren't shifting real quick in Oz, especially reasonably high value, recent bikes, so just take it easy.

Anyhow, it's far too hot to ride a Daytona at the moment!

regards,CrazyCam
yeh but you came in week after wewek after week after ........ :raspberry:

But is true, and be honest from the start, it'll get you a long way, tell em who your speaking with, what it will take to get the deal and dont be an ass about it. At some stage it'll be back for some warranty work and that's when you'll be in need of their help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Its a buyers market right now, you can really squeeze any salesperson on any product or service. As for worrying about warranty work later down the track most auto service centers make there money out of the repair and service of vehicles/bikes so they will want your business long term no matter what.
Take a friend with you when you go to buy to be a voice of reason and a little resistance. When I did sales work if the potential customer had a friend with them we called them " the wall " You got to climb over them to get to the buyer and It makes sales people work harder and keeps them honest.
As another said here be prepared to walk. There might be another good deal in a week or so. Print out all the deals you can find to do a comparison and to show all sellers whats out there and what can they do for you.
Above all remember YOU are doing them a favor not the other way around.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I think there is some pretty good advice in this thread.

wait for the 675r to be on the floor. they will drop the price on a standard one then and i heard from a guy at the local dealer that it may be as much as $800 off rrp
Really? That didnt happen when the SE's came in did it? Anywhere ive enquired has deposits on more than their allocation on R's. So unless they are feeling kind enough to pass on some of the exchange rate saving i would have thought they would have just retailed the R's above the normal 675 and left it alone? Well thats what id do anyway lol

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you can get one brand new for $14,800 ride away no more to pay then why would you even look at a demo thats probably been given a hard time for $13.5-14k. Just get the extra cash by whatever means necessary and wheelstand out of the dealer on a brand new 675. Who knows, you might even be able to push the dealer to an even better deal if they haven't sold many bikes that month.

edit: second hand prices don't normally dont include stamp duty so once you add that in the price of a brand new bike and a year old demo are probably closer than you think.
I reckon the ex-demos should be had for around the 13k mark. If I can save $1800 by buying a bike with a few hundred km on it, it will be within my budget of (absolute maximum, no negotiation) 13k. Unless it was ridden around in first and cold the whole time, I can't see how a modern sportsbike engine could be destroyed in 200km. Plus there is the added benefit of the warranty I will get buying from a dealer as opposed to private.

I was initially against buying ex-demo but now I am thinking it really can't be that bad.

·
Registered
474 Posts

MATTY! How are ya :)

TO OP:
I bought a 2009 demo bike from Bikebiz last year for $13,400.
Just make sure it includes 12 mths registration!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
aprillia, beema or blade are on the list i dont go down the other path that was planned to be a project for the next year (very very custom bonnie)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.