Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These pictures really don't need much of an introduction or explanation. My first lowside all caught on camera, lucky me.

It all happened so fast that I'm not quite sure what happened, that camera guy didn't get the start of the crash on camera so I'll never know for sure. Basically I think I just flicked it into the corner a little to quickly and gravity took over from there.

My bike is pretty effed up (cosmetically) so I'll be starting another post sometime soon to try and round up some parts. All in all the only that got hurt is my confidence. So listen up kids! ALL THE GEAR ALL THE TIME. Then you can walk away laughing like an idiot just like me. :laugh:

BTW: any comments or laughs are welcome, that's what the forum is here for.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ouch! Least you're okay, the bike is rideable and you were sensible enough to have the correct protective clothing.

Plus you can have a laugh at some cool pics of a wipeout, the pics are well taken!

·
Banned
365 Posts
The first pic kinda looks like you have it at a crazy angle, frame that one and call it a day. Glad the bike is insured *cough*

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The first pic kinda looks like you have it at a crazy angle, frame that one and call it a day. Glad the bike is insured *cough*
It was already over with by the time the first picture got snapped. I was already in "hold onto your ass" mode. LoL

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Suck! But it looks like you went down "soft", so that's good. It's nice when you can walk away and learn from your mistakes. The bike can be fixed, that's why we have insurance. Glad you're ok. :thumbup:

·
Registered
616 Posts
Looks like you grabbed a little front brake to me. Either way, your front tucked from what I can tell.

Isn't that spot infamous? I'm positive I've seen videos of that corner taking one person out after another. Basically, there was a reason a photographer just happened to catch you going down. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
hard to say what happened, but seeing the pics reminds me of my lowside, especially the last one..
I remember sliding on the ground watching the bike bounce along the track.

On a side note, I have never seen a professional photographer taking pics on a public road like that.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Glad to see that you're okay! :thumbup:

Sometimes I hate when photographers set up in the canyons. And they are always strategically in the same locations. Paul is up at the Rock Store every weekend and many accidents on the Snake happen when riders try to push it a little bit harder for the cameras so that they can get that epic money shot (especially on the upper sweeper right before the overlook) and get out of their comfort zone and just lose it.

Hard to see what happened as the photos were taken while you were already on your way down. I don't think we can blame the riding conditions for this one. The weather was perfect and there were a lot of folks that negotiated that same turn with no issues.

Again, glad you walked away laughing, but I wouldn't call yourself an idiot though. Looks like your gear saved your butt... literally!

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
Main thing is you are good to go :thumbup: and nobody will ever have to remind you about wearing gear, lol. Those photos will make for great conversation items on the wall, good luck with the rebuild.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks like you grabbed a little front brake to me. Either way, your front tucked from what I can tell.

Isn't that spot infamous? I'm positive I've seen videos of that corner taking one person out after another. Basically, there was a reason a photographer just happened to catch you going down. :laugh:
Nope no front brake, that's one thing I can be certain of.

No it's not any kind of infamous or corner or anything, it's actually pretty tame. There are just some good spots to take pics from, that's why the photo guy is pretty much always there.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Glad to see that you're okay! :thumbup:

Sometimes I hate when photographers set up in the canyons. And they are always strategically in the same locations. Paul is up at the Rock Store every weekend and many accidents on the Snake happen when riders try to push it a little bit harder for the cameras so that they can get that epic money shot (especially on the upper sweeper right before the overlook) and get out of their comfort zone and just lose it.

Hard to see what happened as the photos were taken while you were already on your way down. I don't think we can blame the riding conditions for this one. The weather was perfect and there were a lot of folks that negotiated that same turn with no issues.

Again, glad you walked away laughing, but I wouldn't call yourself an idiot though. Looks like your gear saved your butt... literally!
HAHAHA yeah I've all seen all the crash videos from the snake in Malibu, usually a bunch of dumbasses target fixating right into the guard rail.

I always thought "yeah that'll never be me":whistle:

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
Definitely tucked the front, sorry to hear it Corey. You're f'ing lucky you didn't get plowed by oncoming traffic on a Sunday!

·
Registered
84 Posts
if the guy has a banner posted at a turn you might think it would be a good idea to slow down as a million people have went down there. right? That's the only reason they are there. They don't care how good your body position is or how much lean you have. They want crashes to post on you tube/

your lucky somebody else wasn't coming in the other direction.

:rant2:

glad you ok.

maybe I should slow down myself

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
hard to say what happened, but seeing the pics reminds me of my lowside, especially the last one..
I remember sliding on the ground watching the bike bounce along the track.

On a side note, I have never seen a professional photographer taking pics on a public road like that.
FWIW Killboy at Deals Gap is the most famous one and seems like he was one of the first to set up and take pics of riders & cars.

http://www.killboy.com/

·
Registered
490 Posts
That would just make me feel worse knowing that someone caught my moment of folly on camera. Glad you're ok, but sorry about the bike. Like others have said, the last picture reminds me of my first lowside, watching (in agony) my bike spin away from me.

·
Registered
832 Posts
if the guy has a banner posted at a turn you might think it would be a good idea to slow down as a million people have went down there. right? That's the only reason they are there. They don't care how good your body position is or how much lean you have. They want crashes to post on you tube/
Disagree. The locations where you'll find the photographers are not typical crash spots. They are ideal locations to capture riders from both directions with optimal lighting and camera angles. They turn into crash spots because many crashes happen when riders try to serve up a side order of fries with their hotdoggin' and flat out just don't cut the mustard. Photographers actually don't care about your body position or how much lean you have... they are there to take pictures and sell them, not hoping someone flies off the side of the mountain and dies for the sake of youtube video views. I think it's a good idea to review your photos and your body position so that you can correct mistakes and make adjustments. If this particular photographer would have caught this incident a few seconds earlier, we might be able to see what went wrong.

·
Premium Member
9,297 Posts
Definitely tucked the front, sorry to hear it Corey. You're f'ing lucky you didn't get plowed by oncoming traffic on a Sunday!
A big plus 1. And look at picture 1, look at the front wheel.. usually a pretty good indication that you lost the front.

Be careful out there, glad you came out in one piece.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts