Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears that I have joined scores of others out there who have experienced the R/R failure (at least that's my suspicion) ... and the bike only had ~65 miles on the ticker!

After more weekends than I care to count where the weather was total crap or we were too busy with other stuff, my wife and I had planned to get out and ride some this past Saturday. While she was showering I decided to make a short loop on some roads near the house. Only a few miles from home I looked down and noticed the gauge cluster was off, though the bike was still under power. Thinking it was likely just a poor connection to the cluster I began looking for a safe place to pull over and check it. Well, I made it about a 1/4 mile and the bike died. My roadside examination revealed some strangeness. When I cut the ignition on, the fuel pump would usually kick on, though not always. The gauge cluster would also usually come on, but would always cut off within 8 or 10 seconds, and the start button resulted in nothing more than a 'click'.

Luckily my wife was able to get the trailer hooked up to the truck and come get me. After we got home I hooked some jumper cables up (from the truck). With the cables attached the voltage was good and the bike would fire up immediately. As soon as I disconnected the cables, the voltage dropped to below 11 volts and continued to drop as the bike ran. When it got to around 8 volts, the gauge cluster cut off. When it got to about 6.8 volts, the engine died.

So the charging system was definitely not working. Since it is most definitely under warranty, I didn't bother with any further tests. We brought her to the local dealership yesterday so we'll see what they find. Fingers crossed they have the part(s) necessary to get it done quickly and I can finally put some miles on it!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I can't understand why Triumph don't do a recall for the R/R, they bloody well know exactly which bikes have the shunt R/R's by the VIN number. This hassle puts pressure on the dealers to pick up the bike (which they don't get reinbursed for) and fix the R/R or a pissed off client who has to take the bike back to the dealer themselves when it is an already widely known issue.
I was lucky enough to get mine fixed before it failed but I had to pursue it and it had to be approved by Triumph first.
They just need to recall them and make life easier for everyone.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rob, I couldn't agree more. If the dealer calls and says they've found the issue to be something other than the R/R I plan to push for a replacement R/R (MOSFET part of course) anyway. While I haven't done anything more than piddle within a few miles from home so far, we often travel several hundred miles from home on our 2-wheeled trips (trip to the mountains coming soon!) and I do NOT want to get half-way there only to have the part fail when I already have it in the shop. I think they'll find it's the source of the problem after all, but if they don't I sure hope they'll replace it anyway!

·
Registered
999 Posts
you all couldn't be more right, i called triumph to see if they would replace my R/R
i told them I already diagnosed it... and to change it... they said they must diagnose it 95$/hr and if its the R/R 249$ or if its the stator 399$, i told them to piss off and that it was horse shit triumph isn't dealing with this. went on ebay paid 85$ for an 07 CBR1000 R/R mosfet part # FH0008 methinks cannabalized the connectors(likely a bad idea however my friend already soldered them before i told him about the metripak connectors. anyway look up this part its a quick fix and runs 14~ish volts everywhere and with a bit of modding mounts up in stock location

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good news! The shop confirmed it was indeed the R/R that bit the dust. The warranty claim was filed and the new part (which will be the updated MOSFET R/R) is on it's way. Barring any shipping delays, I should have her back on Friday!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Is there any way for us to tell by our VIN which R/R is in there, or would we have to contact the dealer?
The dealer was the one that told me they can tell by the VIN which R/R it is, it's easy to see anyway, have a look at this thread (Brand New Triple....Broken - Triumph675.Net Forums) and the first pick on page 2 is the crappy shunt type and the second pick on the same page is what it looks like when you get the new R/R.

·
Banned
941 Posts
Luckily my wife was able to get the trailer hooked up to the truck and come get me.
Wow....you are one lucky man. I've had many girlfriends and not a single one could have hooked up a trailer to a truck (much less change a bulb in a car). Again, you are one lucky man and I hope you don't lose her.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow....you are one lucky man. I've had many girlfriends and not a single one could have hooked up a trailer to a truck (much less change a bulb in a car). Again, you are one lucky man and I hope you don't lose her.
Haha, why thank you! I certainly don't plan on letting her get away! Did I mention she rides (her own bike ... '05 GSX-R 750 right now) too? :whistle:

The bike had 65 miles on the ticker when the R/R failed. Riding it home from the shop last Friday I put another 70 or so on it. So the new one (which is indeed the MOSFET type) has already out-lived the original! :rofl2:

·
Registered
249 Posts
:cheers:Here's to you Jarod! My wife rides a Hypermotard and she bought our trailer and brought it home to surprise me :inlove:
She doesn't ride with the other gals to much because they only want to ride 20-30 mii and have lunch. She wants to ride 120-130 mi , and then have lunch:laugh:.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts