Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,901 Posts
In the USA the warranty can't be voided for modifications unless you have a failure that was directly caused by the modification. Even with that it would only prevent warranty coverage of that failure but the bike would still be under warranty if something not related to the modification were to fail.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Those mods are likely to void the warranty on the engine, as Triumph will say that they affect the fuelling.

It isn't up to the dealer. While they can be flexible over minor matters, warranty repair needs to be pre-authorised by the manufacturer, who supplies the parts and pays a fixed price for the labour.

Authorisation can be assumed in a lot of cases, and special pre-authorisation for even 'out of warranty' bikes can be given for known issues, like the R/R, but if you blow an engne after a non-approved exhaust mod you might find that you've got no warranty on that engine.

Rob

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
i've always lucked out on warranty repairs but if you are worried about it I would suggest waiting until the warranty is up before you modify.

·
Super Moderator
2,122 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Kind of worried about the same thing...

I have a brand new 675R bought in August '11 and I've put about 1,200 miles on it. I've had the EXUP seize twice already and since it's under warranty I've had the dealer fix it, which I assume means a squirt of lube and wiggling it around a bit.

There are some great threads that show how to remove the motor/cables and get rid of the corresponding CEL with TuneECU. I don't want to screw myself so early in the warranty on a brand new bike. I might just ask the dealer to remove/disable it... they were willing to remove the evap canister on my previous bike.

I really want to get rid of this thing so it doesn't ruin another ride.

-Mark

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
I have a brand new 675R bought in August '11 and I've put about 1,200 miles on it. I've had the EXUP seize twice already and since it's under warranty I've had the dealer fix it, which I assume means a squirt of lube and wiggling it around a bit.

There are some great threads that show how to remove the motor/cables and get rid of the corresponding CEL with TuneECU. I don't want to screw myself so early in the warranty on a brand new bike. I might just ask the dealer to remove/disable it... they were willing to remove the evap canister on my previous bike.

I really want to get rid of this thing so it doesn't ruin another ride.

-Mark
The new cables tend to stretch at first. Mine played up as well and my dealership just adjusted the cable back into spec. It took a couple of goes to get it right but 5,000km's later it's still going strong.

·
Noob Hazer
12,385 Posts
Just disable it, it will not void warranty and if it you have a bad feeling when taking it just turn it back on by reflashing the ECU with TuneECU. Mine was doing the samething and I got tired of it so I just disabled it and it runs just fine.

·
Noob Hazer
12,385 Posts
No you do not lose any power that is noticeable if any, so no I do not know it all, I just point out when someone does not know what they are talking about. Search around you will find a thread all about it and how it shows you do not lose anything. The EXUP is for noise and that is it, so you sir are full of it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The new cables tend to stretch at first. Mine played up as well and my dealership just adjusted the cable back into spec. It took a couple of goes to get it right but 5,000km's later it's still going strong.
Thanks Far. I was convinced this was going to be a reoccurring issue due to the number of forum members this affects. If you've had luck with it working now that the cables are stretched/broken in and dealer adjusted... I might hold off on taking matters into my own hands. Unless, of course, it happens again.

I won't be racing the bike. I'll be riding it on street and at track days. I would rather keep the EXUP since it probably does have some impact on low end power.

Honestly though, the EXUP increasing power (at any rpm) does seem counterintuitive to me, but I'm not fluid dynamics physicist. I've always assumed that freer flowing = better. So the full aftermarket systems that get rid of the this entirely assume you're likely racing and therefore not worried about the low rpm power loss?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts