Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The questions I have are regarding refinishing CF pieces for another bike ('01 Yamaha FZ1)

I have to work with the present bike b/c I can't get a Daytona until I finish with the FZ.....

That being said, I've got front fender/upper fairing inserts/airbox covers/side covers/heel guards and chain cover that have failed, factory finish.

The finish has all but been removed from peeling with finger or use of a pressure washer, and all the remains of the finish is in the hard to reach spaces that are not readily visible.

• How would one go about prepping the pieces since you are dealing with a fibrous material instead of a plastic mold?
  • Can one sand, w/o exposing fibers, and what grit should be used?
  • What type of coating to re-apply should be used?
I'm trying to gather information b/c I would like to breathe new life into an old bike.

Any information is greatly appreciated (plus feel free to add additional if you have others thoughts on the matter)

Thanks,
BroHay

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mate to be honest you are a bit stuck with what you've got.

It is possible to refinish it but the pieces would need to be put back into a mould which is the same and re-coated.

Otherwise it is not going to look nice if you tried to do it without the mould.

Sorry!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've bitten the bullet and taken the first steps, started yesterday, to sand of the remaining finish in preparation for clearcoat. I'll post up some pictures when I get to that stage.....

Got any suggestions as to the clear/gel coat and any other recommendations?

BroHay

·
Grand Poobah!
3,030 Posts
I would say you can sand the the clear epoxy with something 300 or better, then use scotch bright pad, then re-apply some epoxy to layer it up again.

Then sand using ultra fine, like 500+, to remove defects then repeat to polish to your likeing

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mate to be honest you are a bit stuck with what you've got.

It is possible to refinish it but the pieces would need to be put back into a mould which is the same and re-coated.

Otherwise it is not going to look nice if you tried to do it without the mould.

Sorry!
I'm not trying to rebuild, I'm just wanting to put a new clearcoat/epoxy coat on it....could you elaborate a bit as to why one would need the mold to be able to do this??

Thanks,
BroHay

1 - 6 of 6 Posts