Triumph 675 Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Hello All! A bit of update on the track bike project. So I followed the the Snip --> Start, Snip ----> start process over and over again with the wiring harness and everything but then BAMM didn't start so I spent 2 hours back tracking where i went wrong and finally figured it out and after that i was like "ok we are done with this..." I was able to zip tie the rest of the harness under the ram air assembly which solved my problem of having to deal with it every time I took off my upper fairing.

Below you will see the work I did before my first track days on 5/31 and 6/1. I couldn't be more excited to get out there......Spoiler alert.....The day went HORRIBLE! The front brakes were sticky and cause a horrible shutter when I was braking and the battery i installed from my previous track bike was obviously on its last leg and didn't start In the morning so I had to charge it after every sessions. On top of that I did a shit job of bleeding the coolant (water) system and had overheating problems in addition to the brake and battery problems.

I was pretty much ready to quit the sport and roll my bike into the pacific, but I had some Green Label whiskey, regrouped and bought new seals for the R6 calipers, a new Yuasa Battery and Galfer Rotors. Once those arrive I'll drop them in and hopefully have a better day.

Thanks for looking!

******* massive wiring harness that I attempted to cut down

Superbike Tail

The extra wiring i took off the wood craft ignition eliminator

Why Triumph....why

Zip Tied to the ram air. Zip Ties are always the solution!

Next was a custom AIM Solo 2 mount.

Mocking it up -
[

Test Fit

Unfortunately once I got it put together it rattled a bunch so I put some supports together to give it some strength. Thanks JB Weld!
[/url]

Painted

Next was a custom mount for the Pit Bull TRS system for a Kendon Trailer

Couple pictures at the ridge May 31/June 1st

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Update Time!

I rebuild the R6 brakes with brand new seals and got new to me Galfer Rotors. New Yuasa battery and refilled the cooling system and bleed the absolute piss out of it. Did a track day on the 8th and it went 2000 times better. No issues with braking or overheating and with the bike running well I was able to drop 6-8 seconds off my lap times. I am doing Yamaha Champions Race School on the 16th and then I will be putting some slicks on. Tire warmers and generator are already in the garage.

No pictures of the repairs but someone took one sessions worth

·
Registered
632 Posts
6 - 8 seconds? How big is this track? That's a huge difference.

·
Super Moderator
11,899 Posts
6 - 8 seconds? How big is this track? That's a huge difference.
That's normal for a beginner to make extreme jumps at any track either session to session or day to day. First time I was at this track I turned 2:20. Then each time there I went to 2:08 then 2:02 then 1:59 and now 1:54.

When you're learning it's mostly about confidence along with learning technique. They go hand and hand so you can make huge leaps before you find the bike limits.

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
Ugh, I miss those days. I am so f'ing stoked now about 1/2 a second improvement. So much more work for so little gain.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Update - Time to change the title from Track Bike to Race Bike

No real repair items of notes. Bike has been running perfect so no reason to mess with it. Been doing track days a bunch this summer. The Ridge Motorsports Park got a chicane this summer and that added 7-9 seconds to lap times. A New Racer School track day came up and so I decided it was time to send it and go racing. Signed up, pass the on track session and finished up the classroom session this past weekend. Next time you see the bike it will have black and yellow novice numbers

Picture from the NRS

First race for me will be Aug 16 so I went out with @MGFChapin this last Monday (8-10) to get some final laps in before it gets real. Few 2:01s and a bunch of 2:02/2:03 so I'm feeling pretty good going into the race. I know it will be WAY different than track days and I'm excited!

Pitting with Paul - Track pictures incoming

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Time for a quick update. What started out as a street bike turned into a track bike and after August 16th it was officially a race bike. No changes to the bike in between the track day and the race day just some fresh rubber.

I did my first race on August 16th at the Ridge Motorsports Park. I wasn't able to make the Saturday qualifying so I was stuck at the back of the grid for the race on Sunday. There was a big group doing 2:00 laps and another big group doing 2:10 laps. I was hoping with a good start there was a chance I could stick with the 2:00 group. Unfortunately i didn't get the start I wanted and was slotted behind most the group. I was able to get past the slower riders into 7th position at the start of lap 3 of 6, and set off chasing down 6th. After 2 laps I wasn't gaining on him and so I decided to back off the pace and just finish the race which i did in 7th. Overall a pretty boring first race but I popped my cherry and was excited for the next round

Video -

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
My 2nd race was September 5th at Pacific Raceways. I was able to make qualifying this round and after a couple of strong laps I was able to qualify 5th. Didn't get a dream start but it wasn't bad and slotted into 6th place. I was able to hang onto 5th place and reel him in but he was much better at getting past the slower 1000cc riders (we do wave starts with 1000cc novice riders). No enough laps to catch 5th so I ended up finishing 6th.

This will be the final update to the thread as I have decided to sell the bike and have bought a 2014 Daytona 675r for the upcoming race season.

Thanks for watching and looking!

Videos:

21 - 34 of 34 Posts