Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got an 02 TT600 off a mate at a good price with low kms (1500); he had it sitting in a shed for 5 years after fixing it from a low speed drop. I took it to Peter Stevens and they did a light service and a check over and said it was all good.

I am not convinced. From what I have read, Triumphs have a noisy engine, but every time i am over 4500rpm, it sounds like a tappet it about to bounce from the top end; they dismissed it saying the noise is evident throughout the rev range and of no concern. I suspect the other noise on idle is the clutch clapping away.

I am used to Jap bikes which havent had these noises, and am a little concerned, but dont want to pull the bike apart to check the tappets if it is a 'normal' noise for them.
I am hoping someone else in Adelaide is on this forum and has a TT so I can hear it run and either dismiss my concern, or convince me to do a full service. Any other input is welcome.

That being said, really enjoying riding the TT, comfortable, agile, and pulls like a rocket once it gets into the high revs.

Cheers,
Steve

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
G'Day Steve ,
as far as jap bikes not having the noise ????. my old ZZR600 had a shocking tappet noise , so i thought. the local dealer dismissed it. i sent it in for a valve check and they said it was ok (the rocker cover .i suspected was never removed). after trawling metro dealers i got onto a guy in the know. removed the cam chain tensioner , measured the distance from the flat surface of the mounting area to the chain and refitted the tensioner 1 tooth further out on the ratchet and the noise was gone. He then gave me a revised part no. for a tensioner , when i gave it to my dealer they were red faced and ordered it in for me .$90 well spent.

i am assuming this may be the noise of the TT , someone should jump in here soon to help , someone who has owned one :whistle:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hi Steve, I had a TT for a few years, sold it about 6 months ago, so I am not much help.
But mine was'nt any noisier than a jap 600 so you may have to get the spanners out.
Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers, hopefully I just got a good contact for advice, will take the bike down and see what he says.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts