Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 2016 street triple 675 r. Bike has about 4500 miles on it. Got caught in a pretty big rainstorm on the way home, ride in the rain for probably 80 miles.

next day (today) I go to take the bike out, abs light is flashing, speed is showing 0, check engine is on.

fuel gauge is showing no fuel even though the tank is full.

went for a 20 minute ride and had varying combinations of the above. Sometimes the check engine was off, sometimes speed was reading, etc.

any thoughts?

I am trying to arrange the dealer picking the bike up to diagnose, but has anyone seen anything like this?

my vehicles are garage kept, so it did dry out some in the garage Overnight

·
Registered
428 Posts
The first things I would check are the multi-connector between the ignition lock barrel and the main wiring harness and the same for the instrument cluster. IIRC the cluster just pops out. And as I type this I'm leaning towards the cluster.

Good luck, this sort of thing is hard to diagnose because the problem is not likely to be apparent to the eye. I suppose you could spray each connection with a hose but...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, well, I'm taking it back to the dealer to diagnose the issue. I'll update when I know more. Trying to get it out there today.

Outside of this issue though, this bike is phenomenal. pulls really hard in every gear and feels so light.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Keep us posted. If they can't figure it out we will help you. The wheel speed sensors are loop circuits that come out of the ABS Module plug, and if one isn't reading right it can trigger an ABS fault. Also, the ground for the ABS is common to the fuel level sensor, but so are many other things so let us know if anything else comes up.

Also, something like DealerTool is an amazing thing to have - you can read and reset fault codes, bleed brakes, balance throttle bodies, etc. It's a great product with great service.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Keep us posted. If they can't figure it out we will help you. The wheel speed sensors are loop circuits that come out of the ABS Module plug, and if one isn't reading right it can trigger an ABS fault. Also, the ground for the ABS is common to the fuel level sensor, but so are many other things so let us know if anything else comes up.

Also, something like DealerTool is an amazing thing to have - you can read and reset fault codes, bleed brakes, balance throttle bodies, etc. It's a great product with great service.

thank you, I appreciate it. I’ll be sure to update when I know more.

So, I’ve been reading about tuneecu and dealertool, is one more useful than the other? Seems like the both have some overlap in what they’re capable of.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you think you’ll want to change fuel maps you would need TuneECU. If you just want dealer and maintenance features I think DealerTool can do a little more in that regard. I forget what functions it has over TuneECU, it might be the brake bleed and/or throttle body balance functions but I’m not 100% sure. Oh maybe it’s the ability to change the maintenance schedule (when the wrench light comes on.)

There Might be some connectivity differences too -depending if you plan on using pc, Mac, or tablet. DealerTool met my needs of wanting full dealer maintenance features and use of a PC so that’s what I got, then I forgot everything else regarding the differences, haha.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you think you’ll want to change fuel maps you would need TuneECU. If you just want dealer and maintenance features I think DealerTool can do a little more in that regard. I forget what functions it has over TuneECU, it might be the brake bleed and/or throttle body balance functions but I’m not 100% sure. Oh maybe it’s the ability to change the maintenance schedule (when the wrench light comes on.)

There Might be some connectivity differences too -depending if you plan on using pc, Mac, or tablet. DealerTool met my needs of wanting full dealer maintenance features and use of a PC so that’s what I got, then I forgot everything else regarding the differences, haha.
ha alright.

I’ve got spare windows computers and android devices so platform doesn’t much matter to me.

1 Posts
The first things I would check are the multi-connector between the ignition lock barrel and the main wiring harness and the same for the instrument cluster. IIRC the cluster just pops out. And as I type this I'm leaning towards the cluster.

Good luck, this sort of thing is hard to diagnose because the problem is not likely to be apparent to the eye. I suppose you could spray each connection with a hose but...
Hey bro, any idea how I can check the multiconnector? My 2013 street triple was having the same issue last night. Now it can’t even be turned on. The screen turned blank with Only abs light showing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey bro, any idea how I can check the multiconnector? My 2013 street triple was having the same issue last night. Now it can’t even be turned on. The screen turned blank with Only abs light showing.
I'm trying to figure this out myself, I'll post if I figure it out

An update for everyone, I have the bike back. Dealer was unable to reproduce the issue, even soaking the bike with a hose.

There WAS a damaged wheel-speed sensor which was replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm trying to figure this out myself, I'll post if I figure it out

An update for everyone, I have the bike back. Dealer was unable to reproduce the issue, even soaking the bike with a hose.

There WAS a damaged wheel-speed sensor which was replaced under warranty.
I think that's good news, that bad wheel speed sensor could obviously been causing most of these issues. Keep us posted if anything resolves or the fuel level issue keeps popping up or whatever.

I imagine you know this, but just in case, always reset your trip odometer when you fill up and know how many miles you can ride before needing to refuel.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think that's good news, that bad wheel speed sensor could obviously been causing most of these issues. Keep us posted if anything resolves or the fuel level issue keeps popping up or whatever.

I imagine you know this, but just in case, always reset your trip odometer when you fill up and know how many miles you can ride before needing to refuel.
Will do!

And yes, I've been using the trip meter like that since my first car. best trick ever.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts