Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to take mine off and need to buy a socket for it, but I'd like to buy the correct size the first time around. bikebandit says it's an M25, but the Lowes has a 24MM and a 26MM....someone with experience taking their's off for a damper install or anything else care to chime and and let me know what the socket size is? Vielen Dank!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers, guys. Now finding one will be a hard part. I'm still a bit unfamiliar in my surroundings having recently moved here!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a small conclusion. Don't try to get by with SAE when metric is called for. Went on a trek to pick up the tools, $55 dollars later all it did was round the nut over. Didn't even loosen it. Rubber didn't help either. Feck. Guess I'm gonna have to go looking for an open end wrench or something.

·
Super Moderator
2,821 Posts
Possible the tool was bad? Or maybe your nut happens to be different size?

1 1/2 inch is with in like hundreths on an inch of the 38mm. I know lots of people on here have used 1 1/2 inch.

Sorry you had that happen though :(

I know some people needed to use A LOT of force to loosen theirs.

Best of Luck!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Balls. I'm not sure what the problem is, because I know you're all right. There seems to be a bit too much play when I put the socket over the nut. It can move a few degrees left and right, hmm. I trust the quality of it, it's a craftsman. I'm not sure, but either way it's frustrating! I hate hitting a road block. Guess I'll just have to move onto a different part of the process for the time being.

·
Registered
712 Posts
yea i use the craftsman 1 1/2 on mine and never had a problem. i could only come the the conclusion you may have a different size nut. mine works fine with the min about of torque it requires.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yeah it should be a 38mm i used an 1 1/2 on mine i would also not recommend it, didn't destroy it like you said yours did but it made it alittle ugly. Any large enough cresent wrench should do the trick, just dont smash your tank:thumbup:

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
here's your solution..and everyone should carry this in their toolbox

get a set of calipers (digital or analog) and measure the nut. That way there is no second guessing:

It could be that you have a different size nut on there. Maybe from a different bike with the same thread pitch? Maybe it came from a GPR steering damper? Because I know the OEM one and the one from GPR are different sizes. The GPR one is smaller because it needs clearance for the bracket for the steering damper.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
here's your solution..and everyone should carry this in their toolbox

get a set of calipers (digital or analog) and measure the nut. That way there is no second guessing:

It could be that you have a different size nut on there. Maybe from a different bike with the same thread pitch? Maybe it came from a GPR steering damper? Because I know the OEM one and the one from GPR are different sizes. The GPR one is smaller because it needs clearance for the bracket for the steering damper.
Bingo. Let the four letter words ensue. :1banghead:

Oh well, luckily it's really not that bad, I'm just more frustrated that I can't get it off than anything else. Only one corner of it is pretty marred, which you can't see under the dampener anyhow! Going to have to buy a different tool.

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
Bingo. Let the four letter words ensue. :1banghead:

Oh well, luckily it's really not that bad, I'm just more frustrated that I can't get it off than anything else. Only one corner of it is pretty marred, which you can't see under the dampener anyhow! Going to have to buy a different tool.
Having the right socket size definately is important for this since its torque down to 90 Nm. If you can get it off with a standard socket because the corners are too marred maybe try some vise grips to them.

Another technique you can try (ive never done it but heard it works) is using an open endd wrench and have another person using a punch hammer counter clockwise while you twist. The motion has to be in unison.

Something like this action: http://mototuneusa.com/allen_bolt_nightmare.htm

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Yea, I'm going to have to measure it with my caliper and see if it is a 38 or not. Weird.
So let me get this straight. You came on the forum asking for the nut size. Bought a socket based on the information received, which turned out to be the wrong size and you damage the nut. THEN you decide to measure the size of the nut with your caliper. It's a 30 second job to measure the nut size with your caliper, how come you didn't do that first? :whawhat::hmm:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So let me get this straight. You came on the forum asking for the nut size. Bought a socket based on the information received, which turned out to be the wrong size and you damage the nut. THEN you decide to measure the size of the nut with your caliper. It's a 30 second job to measure the nut size with your caliper, how come you didn't do that first? :whawhat::hmm:
Well, in my defense I...I....I have no defense. Rub it in!

There is a lesson to be learned here; never waste a good mistake.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Well, in my defense I...I....I have no defense. Rub it in!

There is a lesson to be learned here; never waste a good mistake.
:biggrinjester: :biggrinjester: :biggrinjester: :biggrinjester: :biggrinjester: :biggrinjester:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts