Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to take the bike out for a ride today and couldn't get it started. When I hit the starter button it was like the bike completely reset and didn't turn over at all. The last time I went for a ride I noticed that it turned over slowly when I restarted it after getting gas, but it restarted normally when I got home. I checked the voltage from the battery and it seemed fine, so I figured things were okay. Here's a video of me trying to start the bike a couple of times this afternoon. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

http://gallery.me.com/guynn#100743/IMG_0182&bgcolor=black

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
What exactly do you mean by the voltage seemed fine? What did you do to verify this? My money is on a dead battery.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked it with a multi-meter and it was reading 12 volts with the bike off and 14 with it on.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I checked it with a multi-meter and it was reading 12 volts with the bike off and 14 with it on.
Was this the last time it ran? How much time has gone by since those readings? Not sure where you're from but a combination of cold weather and bike sitting even for just a few weeks can drain your battery.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked it after I noticed that it seemed to be turning over slowly after I stopped to get gas. When I got home, I stopped the bike and started it again and it seemed fine. That was when I checked it with the multi-meter. That was about three weeks ago.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Your fuel lines more then likely froze if you kept it outside. I was riding my bike to work 2 weeks ago for a week because the gf had my car. One day was around 20 degrees with a strong wind. Left it outside for 8 hours, went to leave and it wouldnt start. There where times it would turn over and start and die right away. I had to bring it into the loading area to warm up for an hour with a heater under it. Started right up after that.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Oh it probably was fine when you started it when you got home because once you started the bike and it warmed up, any ice in the fuel lines melted.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I live in LA. I doubt the fuel lines froze up. Is anybody even watching the video before they respond?

·
Registered
656 Posts
We have been seeing lots of battery and RR problems due to defective regulators not recharging the battery.

Put your battery on a tender and let it charge overnight. The RR units tend to fail when the bike has been warmed up and running for a while. My old unit was running at 220 degrees and was failing. The new MOSFET unit mounted facing the rear wheel has been great.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Video won't play but sounds like your battery. The stock ones are shit, as is RR. I put in a replacement battery 3 months after buying my bike.

You also have some great high school photos in your album. :rofl:

·
Registered
425 Posts
I live in LA. I doubt the fuel lines froze up. Is anybody even watching the video before they respond?
Being that i was on a phone and couldnt see a video posted nor did you give any sort of details that would indicate it was not cold related, and now on my pc see that all you posted was a pic i dont think it would be possible to tell where you live. And being that most of the country is forzen over this time of year its a logical step to check. If you ask for help dont be a dick when people try to help you.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Last time this SAME thing happened to me...the cables were not securely tightened to the battery. I am sure you have checked them but maybe unattach and reattach them?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Last time this SAME thing happened to me...the cables were not securely tightened to the battery. I am sure you have checked them but maybe unattach and reattach them?
+1 on this response. The starter pulls a LOT more juice than the gauges and fuel pump priming. If the connections between the cables and battery are weak, it'll just click or pop but never turn over. Also, it doesn't have to be due to loose cables either, could also be due to corrosion blocking part of the contact between the cable and battery terminal. I suspect you would have noticed a build-up of corrosion when you checked the voltage, but worth a check.

If it is the battery (and not just the connection), are the headlights dim or any other indication of a low battery besides it just not starting? And I'm not sure how you checked the voltage (ignition On or Off), but I'm fairly certain that even a bad battery - or at least one going bad but not dead yet - will potentially show normal voltage under NO LOAD. However, as soon as the battery is put under load (I'd think simply switching on the ignition so the headlights, fuel pump, and gauges are pulling current) you'll see a voltage drop. If you didn't check it under load before, I'd recommend that ... after checking for clean and secure connections between the cables and terminals of course. Good luck with it and let us know what ya find!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts