Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I bought my 2012 street triple last year with 2,986 miles on it. It is now over 7000 miles and I have done 4 track days with it already. The bike is mechanically stock other than the TORS exhaust and the matching triumph tune. I was wondering if you guys have noticed a shortened life span on these bikes with heavy track use. Being that they are not all that powerful my bike spends a lot of time WOT and in the 9-12k rpm range.

Being that it gets ridden hard on and off the track is there anything extra I should be doing? I change the oil at 2,000 mile intervals. I also run engine ice coolant. Should the valves be checked more often ? I just want to keep it alive as long as possible. Any insight or experience would be appreciated. This is my first triumph and I love it compared to the jap bikes I have had.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Triumphs are pretty tough. My 2000 Speed Triple has around 50000 miles on it. Just road it today. It was my first track bike. Used it for many years, even racing in CMRA. Your oil change interval is good, or every two track days. Check valves every year before track season.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Triumphs are pretty tough. My 2000 Speed Triple has around 50000 miles on it. Just road it today. It was my first track bike. Used it for many years, even racing in CMRA. Your oil change interval is good, or every two track days. Check valves every year before track season.
Wow that is impressive man, I wondered if track days would wear it out faster but it doesn’t seem to be hurting your speed triple haha.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Most modern bikes are pretty robust at stock-ish power levels and will live for years of track abuse with no issues with proper maintenance. Unless it's an Aprilia, then you're on borrowed time leaving the showroom!

I've got an 07 SV650 that has unknown miles (odo doesn't work), but has only ever been used as a race / trackday bike (never titled, it was bought new and turned into a track bike)
My buddies 07 CBR1000RR needs valve seals... but he likes blowing smoke in my face occasion instead!

Don't bounce it off the rev limiter constantly, change your oil every few events, annual coolant flush (and by that I mean water+engine ice ... please leave glycol at home, away from the track) and valve checks will go a long ways!

BUT, you have to be willing to accept that every now and then crap happens when you are punishing your engine. I threw a rod earlier this year, 20k mi and looks like a stress riser finally fatigued enough!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most modern bikes are pretty robust at stock-ish power levels and will live for years of track abuse with no issues with proper maintenance. Unless it's an Aprilia, then you're on borrowed time leaving the showroom!

I've got an 07 SV650 that has unknown miles (odo doesn't work), but has only ever been used as a race / trackday bike (never titled, it was bought new and turned into a track bike)
My buddies 07 CBR1000RR needs valve seals... but he likes blowing smoke in my face occasion instead!

Don't bounce it off the rev limiter constantly, change your oil every few events, annual coolant flush (and by that I mean water+engine ice ... please leave glycol at home, away from the track) and valve checks will go a long ways!

BUT, you have to be willing to accept that every now and then crap happens when you are punishing your engine. I threw a rod earlier this year, 20k mi and looks like a stress riser finally fatigued enough!
Oh yeah man, I fully accept that if it blows it doesn’t owe me anything haha. 20k miles is still quite a few when you consider the power per liter these engines create and the insane rpm that they turn. Coming from the motocross world it amazes me how long these street bike engines can last. A 450mx machine is generally considered ready for a rebuild after 100hrs of hard use. These street bikes seem to easily last hundreds of hours of being pushed hard.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't want to sound rude, seriously, but if your experience is only track days, you are nowhere close to pushing the limits of the engine. You aren't riding that hard, either.

Stock engines are incredibly robust and are designed for longevity over performance. Striples are "detuned" Daytona engines. That means that they are mapped for street use more than a Daytona.... but stock Daytonas are STILL mapped more for street use than track. Striples are WELL tuned below their theoretical limits for both HP and service life. Two members of my race club have street Daytonas with over 50 000 km that they mill-around with on track days and no issues because they maintain their machines.

Follow the maintenance schedule in the manual and you will have hundreds of track days of use. The rev limiter is protection against over-use.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts