Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just dropped my bike off at Turn One Motorcycles (Charlie) to get a RWC. Now it has the TOR midpipe and exhasut tip attached. Would this pass the Vicroads Inspection? Whats the actual law about noise?

What do people think? Charlie asked said it would need it.

ALthough I have the feeling if i took it to Ultra Tune they wouldnt have a clue, RW it then take it to Vic Roads who also wouldnt have a clue!

What do people think?

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
I seem to remember that TOR stands for 'Triumph Off Road', hence the parts are designed for circuit use only.

Which, of course, doesn't stop 99% of people using them on the road.

Unless your TOR can has a giant, clearly visible flashing red neon sticker on it that screams "not for highway use! race use only!" you'll probably get away with it. Most inspectors wouldn't know one end of a bike from the other, so hey ... you can only give it a go and hope the inspection doesn't involve a DB test.

Years ago when I was having a bike inspected while living in Sydney, the ape at the workshop walked around my old shitter of a CB400, scratched his head, squeezed some levers, poked at some things and said "yeah, it's okay ... but you'll need to adjust that brake lever."

To which I replied "that's the clutch lever ..."

O.B

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To which I replied "that's the clutch lever ..."
Very amusing,

I have also been told that at vic roads they check your numbers for about 30sec and thats it.

I think the only problem Ill have is that my mechanic wants to cover his ass 100%... Although it may also be bacause he wants to charge me for .5 hrs labour ($50) to swap the stock and TOR ones around... Which I could do myself although its already in his shop.

Although Ill see how I go.
I also have to swap the rearsets back to stock for this vicroads visit.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
When I got defected for having swingarm mounted number plate I swapped the turn signals back to standard, put the fender back on and bolted the dB killer into the Micron.

It was lukcy I did, he read the numbers written on the turn signals that signify they comply with standards which aren't on the Proton's or the Comp Werkes rear signals. He also asked me about the LED marker lights but I was adamant that it came with them (it didn't) so he let them through presumably because the bike was less than 9 months old. He then tested it for noise level but let me do the throttle. He told me to rev it to X rpm (can't remember what that was exactly) which I did minus around 1000rpm. He tried to look at the tacho whileI was doing it but I deliberatly stood in between his computer and the bike to make it hard for him.

It got through but I was surprised at how thorough they were, especially on a bike that was pretty much brand new. That was at Regency here in SA. They might be a bit easier intersate or maybe I just got a painful inspector.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ahh maybe I should just put the stocky back on. Dont want the hassle of having to do it twice.
Lucky I kept the spare from my 1st daytona as I purchased my current one with the TOR already installed without the stock exhaust.

Maybe its because you got defected they checked for anything and everything, where as Im just registering it for the 1st time since buying from interstate where I didnt carry the rego across.

·
Banned
365 Posts
It's probly not best to drop names on mechanics unless u got %100 positive things to say :whistle:

Does the pipe not have a dB killer? You can make them up pretty easy

·
Banned
365 Posts
me neither, but I dont even know who he is, so n/m.
I take (book) my bike in to City Triumph to get fucked in the ass every few thousand k's :)

*On a cynical tip today, dont judge me harshly.

·
Registered
429 Posts
If you have a look on the bottom of the TOR muffler it actually has stamped on it "Not for road Use".

But i'm not sure if the noise level for Australia is the same as for Europe/UK. If vic roads were to look at that I would think they might have issue with it.

·
Registered
601 Posts
If you have a look on the bottom of the TOR muffler it actually has stamped on it "Not for road Use".

But i'm not sure if the noise level for Australia is the same as for Europe/UK. If vic roads were to look at that I would think they might have issue with it.
AFAIK, the ADR's relating to noise were changed some time ago to make them the same as whatever the current Euro standard is.

ADRs, are nation wide, each individual state may have regulations as to the exhaust systems after a motorcycle has been registered.

In NSW, the regulations are very restrictive indeed, but, so far, don't seem to be enforced with any great amount of vigor, but they can come into play if a bike rider is pulled over for some other thing and then fails the attitude test.

As a general comment, if you are going to have any non-standard exhaust system, it's a safe move to have the standard setup tucked away in a garage somewhere, just in case.

regards,CrazyCam

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.