Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my bike serviced today (6,000km's).

Only consumables were;
- Motul Oil
- Oil Filter

Assuming that everything else got the once over.

The question i have is; How much is too much for a service like that?

ps in Sydney

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Running the Motul could be expensive if it's the top shelf one?
Which type?

I know Charlie is charging about $90 for the Mobil 4T and $120 for the Swiss race oil (last time I checked).
K&N filter - prob $25.
Labour $70+ per hour - 2 hrs??

Looks like $250 - $300.

Do your own oil and filter. The K&N has a bolt head on the end so it's easy to remove and fit. Don't forget the new crush washer. You should be able to pour oil... A drain pan is about $5. Look up the "how to" on here for advice. And check which dipstick you have to get your level right. Also a rear stand will help drain the old black stuff and for the initial fill but don't do the top up on it as it needs to be standing on both wheels.
If you run the Caltex stuff they sell at StupidCheap Auto ($60ish) and get a K&N somewhere, you should be able to do it for under $100. If you're changing oil more frequently than recomended (10k) then you won't need the super expensive race oil.

While you've got the side fairings off do a whip around with a torque wrench and check you engine bolts are 8Nm. Tighten water hoses, check your water, lube the chain... Give yourself the arvo to do it and maybe a bevvy or two. Quiet time in the shed away from the screaming 2yo and wife is priceless... plus you'll save a bit too!!

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Running the Motul could be expensive if it's the top shelf one?
Which type?

I know Charlie is charging about $90 for the Mobil 4T and $120 for the Swiss race oil (last time I checked).
K&N filter - prob $25.
Labour $70+ per hour - 2 hrs??

Looks like $250 - $300.

Do your own oil and filter. The K&N has a bolt head on the end so it's easy to remove and fit. Don't forget the new crush washer. You should be able to pour oil... A drain pan is about $5. Look up the "how to" on here for advice. And check which dipstick you have to get your level right. Also a rear stand will help drain the old black stuff and for the initial fill but don't do the top up on it as it needs to be standing on both wheels.
If you run the Caltex stuff they sell at StupidCheap Auto ($60ish) and get a K&N somewhere, you should be able to do it for under $100. If you're changing oil more frequently than recomended (10k) then you won't need the super expensive race oil.

While you've got the side fairings off do a whip around with a torque wrench and check you engine bolts are 8Nm. Tighten water hoses, check your water, lube the chain... Give yourself the arvo to do it and maybe a bevvy or two. Quiet time in the shed away from the screaming 2yo and wife is priceless... plus you'll save a bit too!!
+1. All of this is very easy.

Because I don't trust PS as far as I can kick them, I communicate with them and get an agreement sorted out about how much I can do myself and still score a stamp in my book. I do the brakes (fluid, bleed, pads) and I also do the cooling system (drain, refill, bleed) and the oil (change oil and filter, new crush washer.)

I try hard to engineer it so that all they have to do is walk around the bike and check that nothing is falling off. Then I pay them for that. It's still too much, especially considering that they have virtually nothing to do, but it gets me my stamp and means I'm not paying hundreds and hundreds of dollars for them to do a sub standard job on my pride and joy.

Example - my first service cost $80.

O.B

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I'd give your air filter a clean or if you have a race filter, replace it. In the service book it doesn't get checked/cleaned/replaced every service but after 5,000 or 10,000 it will probably be dirty or have a heap of bugs on it.

I just got my bike serviced at 5,000kms as I wanted fresh oil etc before Phillip Island. Peter Stevens wanted something like $250 to do a basic service which was just oil, filter and a check over. Ended up going to a place in Adelaide called Competition Conversions who I'd heard good things about (they tuned the power commander on my cousins R6). They did a more comprehensive service including air filter for $250. They adjusted the chain tension, lubed the chain, checked absolutely everything and mentioned that the air filter was quite dirty after just 5000kms. Would recommend them if you don't have the time the do it yourself as the lads have mentioned above. The guy I spoke to when I dropped the bike off also mentioned his son was racing a 675 in England this year.

I'd much rather take my bike to these guys than PS. I've been pretty unimpressed with their service department when it comes to their attitude regarding warranty issues, length of time it takes to get booked in for a service and price. My mate bought a new gixxer 600 from them just after I bought my bike there and he's had exactly the same problems. He had an oil leak at less than 3000kms. The oil was actually dripping onto the rear wheel so he gave it a could clean and rode it down to PS for a warranty repair/first service. When picking up the bike he asked, so you fixed the oil leak right? Yeah mate, she's all done was the reply. So he rode home only to find oil all over the rear tyre when he got there. If he has of ridden into the hills instead of straight home he probably would have had a major off....

Just my 2 cents. I'm sure others may have had positive experiences with the PS service department but I'll be going to comp conversions in future.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks all.

Maybe im just being a tight a$$. They charged me $380 for the service.

Bluedaytona02 - Motul 10W40 Synthetic charged at $55.92. Oil Filter was $27.59.

I am just finding hard to come to grips with $296 or so worth of labour on such a small service.

I hear lots of bad things about Team Moto (especially in Bris where i am from) but now i have experienced it first hand here in Sydney.... Im not into bag out individuals, so i wont say which Team Moto it was.

Has anyone got a "Charlie" equivelent here in Sydney?

·
Banned
365 Posts
I was gonna comment on this yesterday but i saw you were in Sydney.
Didn't even know there was a PS outside of Melbourne, but in melbourne, im guessing Sydney too; the majority of them are cunts, who work on commision like matress salesman
Im lucky enough have a fair mechanic closeby who has been exceedingly good to me, and my bike reflects it.

For A Oil change/OIL Filter. I would expect about 100 for materials, 50 for labor.

For $250-300! (aussie Dollars)
I would expect an Oil change with new Filter. Air filter Oil Clean, Coolant drain and replace, clutch/throttle cables lubed tightened, all the basic checks.

This is just a service, which they should have a set price for, so I would just ask for that next time.

Once the bike is in their hands, if it takes them an extra hour to remove something, it's their fucking problem, not yours, period.

I'm too far away to use Turn one anymore, but I'm sure Dorzun and those Sydney blokes know a good Triumph mechanic up that way

·
Banned
365 Posts
I was gonna comment on this yesterday but i saw you were in Sydney.
Didn't even know there was a PS outside of Melbourne, but in melbourne, im guessing Sydney too; the majority of them are cunts, who work on commision like matress salesman
Im lucky enough have a fair mechanic closeby who has been exceedingly good to me, and my bike reflects it.

For A Oil change/OIL Filter. I would expect about 100 for materials, 50 for labor.

For $250-300! (aussie Dollars)
I would expect an Oil change with new Filter. Air filter Oil Clean, Coolant drain and replace, clutch/throttle cables lubed tightened, all the basic checks.

This is just a service, which they should have a set price for, so I would just ask for that next time.

Once the bike is in their hands, if it takes them an extra hour to remove something, it's their fucking problem, not yours, period.

I'm too far away to goto Turn one anymore, but I'm sure Dorzun and those Sydney blokes know a good Triumph mechanic up that way

·
Registered
618 Posts
Charlie did a full lube service ,valve adjustment and "Charlie tweeks" for $400 including engine cover gaskets and spring shims... seriously , oil changes and filter cleaning should be done at home, too easy.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Without having even the remotest chances to ever have to get a service done in Australia, I already know not to get it done at PS :coolgleamA:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts