Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:huh:

So a month or so ago I laid down my bike. No body’s fault but mine. Cold road + cold tires + aggressive cornering = low side. Lost the front in an turn. I was fine. I always ride in good rear and fortunately I didn’t hit anything. The bike was not too bad. Typical damage. Broken peg, cracked stator cover, broken clip-on, and road rash. The rash is not bad on the side faring but the tail is pretty cracked up.

Except for the tail the farings aren’t in bad shape. Sanding (maybe some filling) and painting are needed. The tank has a little dent but I’m gonna cover that with some carbon fiber tank sliders. I’m gonna order an Optimal Race Tail and modify it to accept my tail light (to get that monoposto look). Since I’m going to at least have to have the tail painted I’m thinking I could make the best of this situation and give the entire bike a custom paint job.

I’m a pretty hardcore do-it-yourselfer but I think painting might be something I should leave to the pros. I LOVE my bike and don’t want it to look ghetto-fab with a crappy paint job. “IF” I do attempt to paint it myself I’m not gonna skimp. It’s not going to be a spray can job. I’m gonna buy a good paint spray gun and high quality sandable primer, paint and clear top coat. I haven’t decided on color or design yet (I’m open to design suggestions) but I’m leaning towards something simple and clean. Solid color, maybe a strip, OEM triumph decals and maybe a few custom decals under the clear coat.

How hard is this to do? Have any of you painted your bikes yourself? Tips. Suggestions. Should I not even attempt this and leave it to the professionals? Any professionals you would recommend in the MD/DC/VA area? How much would a professional job cost? A buddy of my got some pretty darn good paint jobs on his track bikes (R6, ninja 650 & 250) by a guy in VA who apparently paints AMA bikes. He charged around $700 a bike but those are pretty intricate jobs. 3 or 4 colors, stripes, pin stripes, checkered flag patters etc. Whenever we do track days people compliment how good his bikes look. I’ve been trying to contact that guy but without success.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
149 Posts
i think your post is about a bazillion words too long and if you want to paint your bike you should make a thread called, How do i paint my bike? after you do that wait for someone to refer you to a thread thats already been posted on how to paint your bike.

Whats the worst that could happen? try and paint it, if it looks like trash and you dont like it.. get it done by a professional after. or just buy some new fairings?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah...it did get kind of long there didnt it? But yeah, you basically summed up how I felt when I woke up this morning. If it looks like crap I'll just take it to a pro.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
i would say just buy a new fairing, and when you get the race tail, get paint color matched to your current fairings. probably cost you less.

if your desperate for exact color match you can go to colorrite.com and get the oem paint. but your local paint shop should be able to easily match.

·
Registered
149 Posts
i say fuck plastics bro.. the 675 looks bad ass whether or not you have scratched up fairings or not. if you ride hard youll know that your gna fuck ur fairings up again anyways.. why wast money on looks when you can take that 600 bucks and buy something useful.. put it towards new suspension or some rearsets, tires, exhaust i dunno there's so much crap you can get that will matter so much more than how pretty ur girl is.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
^^^^ very true^^^^^

ickis i like you more and more everytime you throw a post on here :laugh:

just straight to the point, fuck everything else. lol

·
Registered
149 Posts
i have this buddy with a gsxr and he's so obsessed with his fairings being perfect.. he dropped his bike a couple times and then went out and bought some new fairings.. he has the new fairings on not longer than a week and he drops it again.. immediatly after he says he wants to find somewhere to get the scratches painted.. i was like man, youve got to be kidding me youre fighting an endless battle. my bikes been dropped more times then id like to talk about, not just by me, but i like to think of my scratched up stock fairings as my new race fairings.. cause theyre already scrathed ! hah.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts