Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

I've been on the forum here for many years, but haven't been big on posting, and want to take this opportunity to try being a bit more active. I joined back in 2015 when I was initially daydreaming about owning a Daytona 675, and that dream was realized in August of that year, when I purchased a Tornado Red 2006 Daytona 675 that I affectionately named Emma. I had her for about 4 years, the last 6 months of which she was sitting without an engine. After ejecting large metal scraps through the sump, I purchased a used engine advertised as running from a seller on eBay, who sent me an engine with damage including a blown head gasket and internal rust, which I eventually resolved, but needless to say I was apprehensive to roll the dice on eBay again. You can read about her here if you'd like: My Experience with Emma, a 2006 Tornado Red Daytona 675

Anyways, in the time Emma was sitting without an engine, and after I had cleaned up the mess with the eBay seller, I decided the easiest way for me to get riding again was to shop for another bike, and I eventually stumbled upon this 2012 Daytona 675R that was a bit rough around the edges. She'd had a minor down on the left side and was repainted jet black after the accident, and still needed a good amount of love to be up to my standards (rashed stator cover and pegs, broken tail fairing mounting tab, leaking fork seal, tags back 2 years, and some other oddities). But, with a clean title, just 8K miles (only 500 from the then-owner), a solid test ride, and the lowest price I've heard of for a running 675R with a clean title, we made a deal. I had listened to the song, "Brandy (You're a Fine Girl)", by Looking Glass on the way to go pick her up, so upon signing the paperwork, I gave her that name. She has been a project, but having many spare parts from my old D675, I was able to get her roadworthy in about a month, and to where she currently sits in less than a year. ~4700 miles later, she's up to date on maintenance, been to Chuckwalla 3 times, and I'm still in love with her! :)

As she sits now:

In track mode:

How she's looked in the past:

And how she looked the day I rode her home:

Mods:

Zero Gravity Corsa windscreen
TOR slip-on exhaust
Attack Performance Rear Sets (GP shift)
GB Racing case covers
GB Racing frame sliders
R&G carbon fiber tank sliders
TechSpec Snakeskin tank grips
APE race CCT
Competition Werkes fender eliminator
Ohlins 10 N/mm fork springs
CL XBK5 front brake pads
Renthal medium-compound grips
OER Ducati 848 brake lever
Clutch lever
Clip-ons
Bar-end mirror
Brake lever guard
6000K HIDs
Integrated LED taillight and LED under tail signals
Flush mount front signals
Dunlop Q4s - 120/70/17 front, 180/60/17 rear
Suspension tuned by AJ at Paradigm Racing
Subframe painted Candy Apple Red
Tail fairing and seat cowl repainted to match the rest of the bike
Decals

Parts I recycled from my old Daytona:

Gold DID 525 chain and sprockets (OE specs, lightly used)
OEM front brake rotors
OEM carbon fiber exhaust shroud (The one that came on the bike has a little damage)
Tail fairing and seat cowl
Frame sliders
Rear sets (then replaced them with Attacks)
Drilled handlebar tubes

Reactions: Shamrock

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And here's a few photos from Chuckwalla last month. I went back in January for the first time in nearly 3 years and am starting to get comfortable again.

Reactions: NewYork

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So much for being more active on here, it's been nearly a year since I updated this thread.. 😅

So, Brandy is a full-time track bike now, and has been since September of last year. I've actually been prepping her to run in the upcoming CRA season at Buttonwillow Raceway that kicks off in June. Super excited for that!

As such, she's now dressed in the track fairings indefinitely, and I've made some other racetrack-oriented modifications:
  • Dunlop NTec slicks (KR448 front, KR451 rear)
  • Ferodo XRAC brake pads
  • Motul RBF 660 brake fluid
  • Kickstand delete
  • Safety wired per CRA requirements
  • Driven Racing fuel cap
  • Woodcraft keyswitch eliminator
I also set my all-time Buttonwillow Configuration 13 Clockwise PB of 1:59.85 last time out. For reference to my friends unfamiliar with the track, Buttonwillow's C13 is 2.68 miles in length.

Here are a few photos of how she stands today and how she's gotten around Buttonwillow over the past ~4 months -

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
As Brandy is now on full-time track duty, I've cycled through a couple Aprilia Tuono V4s over the past ~11 months for street riding, starting off with a 2017 RR which I replaced a few months ago with a 2017 Factory -

I couldn't help but bring her with me to the track a couple times as well.. :)

And here are a couple photos from last year at Chuckwalla on the Tuono RR -

·
Registered
63 Posts
Quality update, I wish there were more track photogs up in Ontario!

Can you talk about the differences you've found with the upgraded brake fluid? Does it change the feeling / properties much when braking?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! Gotta love the on-track photographers. My buddy took a few of those from the paddock area as well. All the high-def shots were CaliPhotography.

Honestly, I have noticed a small improvement after changing the fluid, but my brakes still fade pretty badly, which I'm confident is due to the master cylinder. I'm using the OEM Brembo master, and it honestly leaves a lot to be desired, especially compared to my Tuono's brakes (stock calipers, lines, and MC), which are incredible and running Motul's street-oriented fluid. The Daytona's brakes fade pretty bad after 4-5 flying laps, and fade a little extra in the third/fourth sector of the track, just after repeated hard braking. I had this issue before changing out the fluid as well, but it was more prevalent. I've been thinking about upgrading to the 19RCS Brembo master for a while now, but just haven't quite been ready to pull the trigger. We'll see how I'm feeling after my first race weekend!

Quality update, I wish there were more track photogs up in Ontario!

Can you talk about the differences you've found with the upgraded brake fluid? Does it change the feeling / properties much when braking?

·
Registered
39 Posts
WOW. Man I wish I had the cajones to do a track day. Just got my Daytona, my first super sport bike, she joins my street triple 765 in the shed now

·
Registered
632 Posts
WOW. Man I wish I had the cajones to do a track day. Just got my Daytona, my first super sport bike, she joins my street triple 765 in the shed now
It's not as intimidating as you're making it out to be in your head. The friendliest (generally speaking) people are at the track, you can push it to your or your bikes limits, there are no pedestrians or left hand turners, and there's no one there with a radar gun. You won't be the fastest guy out there, and no one cares. There's way more judgement and asshattery at coffee shops than the track. I have never in my life heard someone say they don't like the environment.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Stan, I agree with Renboy. It's only as intimidating as you make it. If you go out in C Group/Beginner with most track day organizers, you'll be with many people running a pace maybe 20% above casual street riding. So long as you respect your bike and your limits, and make sure you aren't overstepping one or the other, you'll have one of the best days of your life. :)

You'll also meet some of the highest-quality, friendly people out there as well. No one goes to the track that isn't dedicated to the sport of motorcycling at some level, and willing to learn or share any experience they might have.

It's not as intimidating as you're making it out to be in your head. The friendliest (generally speaking) people are at the track, you can push it to your or your bikes limits, there are no pedestrians or left hand turners, and there's no one there with a radar gun. You won't be the fastest guy out there, and no one cares. There's way more judgement and asshattery at coffee shops than the track. I have never in my life heard someone say they don't like the environment.

·
Registered
89 Posts
As Brandy is now on full-time track duty, I've cycled through a couple Aprilia Tuono V4s over the past ~11 months for street riding, starting off with a 2017 RR which I replaced a few months ago with a 2017 Factory -

View attachment 259912

View attachment 259913

I couldn't help but bring her with me to the track a couple times as well.. :)

View attachment 259904

View attachment 259905

And here are a couple photos from last year at Chuckwalla on the Tuono RR -

View attachment 259906

View attachment 259907 View attachment 259908

View attachment 259909

View attachment 259910
Very nice! You have good taste in bikes Chad. My next bike will definitely be a Tuono Factory... I absolutely love them!

I also have met the coolest people at the track. Most of my current roster of friends is from the track...best place to ride your sportbike for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why thank you! I'd say you have fine taste in bikes as well! 🙂

You'll absolutely love the Tuono when you get it. Such an incredible machine! I thought the triple was the best sounding motorcycle engine, until I heard the V4. 🤤

Totally agree! I've made some awesome friends at the track. Nothing like a common passion to unite people!

Very nice! You have good taste in bikes Chad. My next bike will definitely be a Tuono Factory... I absolutely love them!

I also have met the coolest people at the track. Most of my current roster of friends is from the track...best place to ride your sportbike for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Stan, I agree with Renboy. It's only as intimidating as you make it. If you go out in C Group/Beginner with most track day organizers, you'll be with many people running a pace maybe 20% above casual street riding. So long as you respect your bike and your limits, and make sure you aren't overstepping one or the other, you'll have one of the best days of your life. :)

You'll also meet some of the highest-quality, friendly people out there as well. No one goes to the track that isn't dedicated to the sport of motorcycling at some level, and willing to learn or share any experience they might have.

Thanks man, i really am looking forward to my first track day in September.

Side note, are you like 6'10"? That bike looks like a little tykes toy under you hahaha

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good! Im sure you'll enjoy it. Also, I'm 6'3".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts