Triumph 675 Forums banner
101 - 120 of 136 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Congrats on your success at RA dragon Slayer! Those battles are really fun races. Sorry you hear about your crash after. Heal up fast.
Thanks! Im new to Racing as of this year, just started track days last year...cant wait to start winning some races!

I was hit by another rider at a local track day so that messed me up pretty bad, it looks like itll be the end of August until at the earliest before I can get back on the bike.

What org do you race with? Your not too far from me!

· Registered
200 Posts
Thanks! Im new to Racing as of this year, just started track days last year...cant wait to start winning some races!

I was hit by another rider at a local track day so that messed me up pretty bad, it looks like itll be the end of August until at the earliest before I can get back on the bike.

What org do you race with? Your not too far from me!
That's a bummer dude.

I race with the Championship Cup Series (CCS) and ASRA events in the Midwest.

· Registered
200 Posts
Road America proved to be amazing again! There was some fierce competition from around the country. It was pretty incredible!

Friday I ran ASRA Team Challenge with a buddy on his r6. This was a 2 hour, 50 lap race. I had one 15 minute practice session on his bike which also ran GP shift, I run standard. Then it was race time. My buddy started and ran 17 laps, I ran the next 17 laps, about 45 min, he finished the race. What a blast that was, but I was truly cashed after it. My legs were shaking so bad I could barely climb over the pit wall after my session. We took 6th place.

The highlight for me was having my first ever podium finish placing 3rd in the AMA Grand Champions SS race. I had 4 top 5 finishes overall and a 7th place in GTU.

· Registered
303 Posts
Okay, technically this was a track day, not at a race, but on Tuesday I hit a time that slaughtered my goals for this bike....I had some drills I was working on throughout the day on Monday that Ken Hill was giving me, and then Tuesday I think I finally had those kind of in my mind, plus had my suspension sorted out (was on the phone with my suspension guy no less than 3X Monday).

In the afternoon I picked a session to be my "fast" session for the day (I tend to pick one of the slightly lighter sessions in mid afternoon to be my one session where I will try to put down as close to 'race pace' as I can with trackday traffic - the rest of the time I'll back off a couple seconds just for that little extra margin - it is just a track day afterall).

I paired up with a couple of their instructors, and there ended up being like 4 or 5 of us all chasing each other around. My big focus for these days was braking (that's what Ken had me working on) - got a little spooked (but no feeling of being out of control) when the bike started to back into turn 14 - never done that before! Floating the front wheel ALLLLL the way down the hill off of turn 9 was a blast - never done that, either :grin2:

Came into the pits and checked out my laptimer - I had put down a 1:57.66. On a track day. With track day traffic - granted, a light-ish session, but there were still other bikes out there. Couple 1:58s to go with that, and a couple where I clearly was help up by traffic - but OMG - that took 2 1/2 seconds off my PB from just a couple weeks ago!!

Huge, huge difference! Can't way to apply the new stuff to the other tracks :grin2:

On my way to that 1:57...

· Registered
1,219 Posts
Raced Ultralight Thunderbike and 500SS on my 300 Ninja at Road America. I didn't place very well but I had fun anyway. RA is a horsepower track - basically 3 drag strips connected by a few turns. :whawhat:

500SS got red flagged and when the race was restarted, it was set to only 2 laps. Went into turn 5 with a group of racers and ended up out in the grass. I saw the entire grid disappear into turn 6 while I was off roading and that was that, last place. :eek:hno:

Then in ULTB, the same thing happened in turn 5. But the race wasn't red flagged so I had a little more time to work and got a meager 7th place. In ULTB on my 300 I spent the entire race right on the ass of a 250 Ninja and the scary thing is that he was walking me on the straights. All the other 250's were left behind but this guy had a serious engine build. ULTB rules are a lot more open than supersport, and there's lost of options to make hp on a bike.

Anyway, tough races. All the ultralight races are combined, meaning amateur yellow plates like me are mixed in with expert white plates. I got my work cut out for me, hahah.

Pictures courtesy of RyHNoFoto on facebook - nice work.

· Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Glad to hear of everyone's progress lately! Two big moves for me during this summer racing break: 1) I got picked up by Woodcraft for sponsorship, which is nice because 2) I just acquired my dream bike for a price I couldn't believe -- a 2016 Aprilia RSV4 RR. So I'll be building that in the next 6 weeks into my race bike. And with that, I won't be finishing this season on the Daytona. In fact, I'm going to list it for sale here shortly.

I still plan to check in here at least for the rest of the season though! At the end of the day, I knew I was going to move up to 1000s by the end of the year anyways, and I got a good deal on a demo model. Plus, considering I'm 3rd overall amateur right now in ASMA behind two guys on 1000s that I can't beat in the Formula race, I'm going to be able to give these guys a run for their money here very soon! I can't wait for September!

· Registered
303 Posts
Glad to hear of everyone's progress lately! Two big moves for me during this summer racing break: 1) I got picked up by Woodcraft for sponsorship, which is nice because 2) I just acquired my dream bike for a price I couldn't believe -- a 2016 Aprilia RSV4 RR. So I'll be building that in the next 6 weeks into my race bike. And with that, I won't be finishing this season on the Daytona. In fact, I'm going to list it for sale here shortly.

I still plan to check in here at least for the rest of the season though! At the end of the day, I knew I was going to move up to 1000s by the end of the year anyways, and I got a good deal on a demo model. Plus, considering I'm 3rd overall amateur right now in ASMA behind two guys on 1000s that I can't beat in the Formula race, I'm going to be able to give these guys a run for their money here very soon! I can't wait for September!
Congrats!

I'm actually planning to move up to a heavy next year (and to Expert), either the new ZX10R or the BMW, haven't decided yet, possible sponsorship or race program may swing that pendulum for either - I will probably hang onto the Daytona and race both just to try to rack up Expert points (time to really work on that fitness....lol)...in a couple years I'd like to try to dip my toes into the local-ish MotoAmerica rounds, but AFM is so damn competitive that I'll need many races to get points - because top 3 in any of those classes are guys who can be competitive at MA.

My goal on this bike was sub-2 minutes at THill, ideally I wanted to see 1:58s. Well, just blew that out of the water, so the winter plan is moving forward!

· Registered
1,456 Posts
I too am happy to hear about everyone's race experiences whether you're on a Daytona or not!

Congrats on the podium @Schwags13! It's a great accomplishment!

Super jealous of the new pickup @aftriathlete! After riding a '14 RSV4 at Buttonwillow, I'm convinced the v4 will be the best bike to transition from the 675. Definitely keep us updated on the build!

@HoneyBadger congrats on the PR! That is a lot of time you dropped during a trackday and expect that to work in your favor as you chase down those pesky R6's. I always look forward to reading your well-written race reports.

I'm hoping to get off my butt and get back into the CVMA and AFM (Buttonwillow) this upcoming season. Cheers all!

· Registered
730 Posts
Have been following this thread for a while and was looking forward to adding my contribution to it. Had my first race weekend at my "home" track at Pittsburgh International Raceway. After three years of trackdays, I felt like I was as ready as I'd ever be to dip my toes into the waters.

WERA and N2 did a combined weekend together with a trackday Friday, four hour endurance race Saturday, and sprint races on Sunday.

I ran Friday and felt really good. This was my second weekend on the SBK Pros, and I was getting more comfortable with how they feel. Previous PR was 2:05, and I brought it down to a 2:03. Nothing really notable on the day other than taking the race school through N2. They cover the bases pretty well to get you prepared, and then you have a mock race at lunch time. Although it doesn't techinically matter, I came in second out of four riders taking the school.

Saturday I joined up with a team through the WERA forums to help out in the pits for the endurance race. Helped out team DLNQNT doing everything from holding a fire extinguisher, timing, fueling, etc. Very excited to get 2nd in class and 5th overall out of 28 or so teams. Incredible event, and I'm hoping to have my own team together for it next year.

Sunday was finally time to put everything together and start racing! First practice session of the day I felt relaxed and wasn't pushing too hard. Ended up increasing my PR to a 2:02. I felt I had my head in the right place to stay within myself and not get carried away with the red mist (usually being too cautious is a trademark for me on the track).

I talked to the Pirelli rep (Colin from Shagmoto) there and he recommended that at the least I switch to an actual race front, but both would be better. I thought I was taking the "tires are cheaper than hospital bills approach" by swapping out the front, since you can usually manage the rear end. Everything was mounted and set and I went out for my first race. My goal was to finish all the races and hopefully not be in last. Unfortunately, the next thing I can remember was waking up in the hospital a couple hours later...

Second crash I've ever had, and really the first that was due to a riding error. Crashed on the second lap of my first ever race...I'm pretty embarrassed and very frustrated at the result. Fortunately, I had a GoPro running so I could at least see what I did. Crashed in a corner I've taken literally hundreds of times without a single incident. Problem was I was a bit sloppy that whole lap missing apexes and I added some throttle while adding lean angle in the corner of the crash. Obviously a big no-no. Some other people who have seen the video think that an SC1 or SC2 on the rear would have "covered" that mistake at my pace, but obviously I still just messed up.

I'm itching to get back out there as soon as I can to have a mulligan on my first race experience. Bike is in pretty good shape with mostly just consumables needing to be replaced. I had a bit more damage than the bike - mild concussion, whiplash, swollen knee, and left wrist broken in two places.

Video of the crash:

· Registered
303 Posts
Hope you heal up quickly!!

Ya, you did what you described, but watching the video, as long as your BP isn't working against you, I wouldn't have seen that being an issue on an actual race tire, especially not on a Daytona. The Superbike Pros are a great C and B group track day tire, but they really aren't up to A or race pace, especially when probably most everyone you're up against is on a race tire of some variety.

There are things I do on my race bike (with race tires) - even "getting worn out race tires" that I won't even THINK about doing on my coaching/street bike with my street tires (which are decently grippy street tires, but there is a HUGE difference). The Superbikes are similar - just can't get away with the same things!

· Registered
730 Posts
Hope you heal up quickly!!

Ya, you did what you described, but watching the video, as long as your BP isn't working against you, I wouldn't have seen that being an issue on an actual race tire, especially not on a Daytona. The Superbike Pros are a great C and B group track day tire, but they really aren't up to A or race pace, especially when probably most everyone you're up against is on a race tire of some variety.

There are things I do on my race bike (with race tires) - even "getting worn out race tires" that I won't even THINK about doing on my coaching/street bike with my street tires (which are decently grippy street tires, but there is a HUGE difference). The Superbikes are similar - just can't get away with the same things!
Thanks for the encouragement :)

It was a lesson I already thought I knew, but apparently still had to learn the hard way... Will be out on the appropriate tires next time.

Now I'm just trying to will my body into healing faster, ha-ha.

· Registered
200 Posts
Sorry about your crash. Once you heal up get back out there. Don't let that discourage you. I think you're on the right track and honey badger had some great advice about race tires!!! I'd also double check your suspension set up. You lost traction with minimal throttle input.

· Registered
200 Posts
I had a blast racing this weekend. We had some carnage for the first race as it started raining. People seem to forget that race tires don't work at pace in wet conditions. I also forgot to turn on my gopro to capture their forgetfulness. 8 bikes went down that race...

I finished the weekend with 4 top 5 placements. I burnt up my clutch saturday. Luckily another Triumph racer had a used one he gave me. I literally had to pry out the first 4 plates it was so fried!

Sunday I crashed in my first race GTU. I had a decent start and was battling for 3rd when the guy hit a false neutral coming out of the corner and I ran in to him. Bike and I were fine, relatively. I broke my pinky, but meh.... Worst part of it was, I didn't realize I hit my kill switch and couldn't restart my bike in time to get back in the race...(I KNOW!!!!)

Here's the crash video...

The carousel...oh how I love the carousel...

I can't wait for the ASRA rounds in two weeks to continue pushing to see what I'm able to accomplish.

Happy racing...:grin2:

· Registered
200 Posts
I'm really behind on race reports....

Autobahn Country Club was the national ASRA race as well as CCS. We had rain Saturday for practice and plenty of hospital rides. This was a new track for me to learn, but I poked around and kept the shiny side up. Sunday was dry so I began trying to pick up the pace. The first two ccs races were rough as I finished 7th, and 5th. Finally I put things together and I picked up 2nd place for thr ASRA Sportbike class.

The following weekend at Blackhawk I struggled a bit and finished 5th, 5th, and 6th but still had fun battling for position with a few guys.

This past weekend was Gingerman Raceway. What an awesome track!! Saturday was race practice and my first time on this track. As I began picking up the pace throughout the day, I noticed I was lacking braking power. I had taken my Vesrah RJL XX pads to their limit and finally burned them up. I've been using the same set the entire season. These pads are incredible! Unfortunately, I didn't have a spare set with me. The only pads available were a set of Brembo street pads. It was super sketchy racing with them. In GTU I started off strong fighting for 3rd, but lost two positions almost going off track in turn 11. I was able to fight back for a 4th place finish. In MWSS and HWSS I had some good battles and did the best I could with the pads. I managed another 4th place in each race. The Michelin tires I was running stuck like glue!

Photos thanks to Ryhnofoto:

Video action from MWSS.

· Registered
1,274 Posts
show off'

HAHAH

glad to hear you were really focused on racing a new track and thinking about your set up! Make sure that you double up on almost everything prior to next season, so when you get there and your brakes are done, you already got another set ready!
I would even say check the entire bike again after each race to make sure not only you are physically ready to race, but the machine is too

as far as the burnt clutch..... stop going so fast...? :whistle:

Really looking forward to riding with you again (fingers crossed this year) and i hope this next weekend goes well, and that your future races are awesome!
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

· Registered
200 Posts
show off'

HAHAH

glad to hear you were really focused on racing a new track and thinking about your set up! Make sure that you double up on almost everything prior to next season, so when you get there and your brakes are done, you already got another set ready!
I would even say check the entire bike again after each race to make sure not only you are physically ready to race, but the machine is too

as far as the burnt clutch..... stop going so fast...? :whistle:

Really looking forward to riding with you again (fingers crossed this year) and i hope this next weekend goes well, and that your future races are awesome!
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Words of wisdom right there. Have a back up of everything you might need...or just get a B bike....haha.

Thanks buddy!

· Registered
303 Posts
This past weekend we were finally back to racing to begin the last half of our season. This round was at Sonoma Raceway, definitely one of my worst tracks that we run - it's a very technical track, and the laptime differences between the front and the back get significantly smaller than they do at the other tracks.

While I didn't reach my ultimate goal as far as laptimes went, I DID still shave a few seconds off, and I was consistently down in the new times, and finished the weekend as fast as I started it (which, on such a physically demanding track, is saying something - means my off-track training is paying off!).

I still had a couple highlights from the weekend, including my first WIN! Woohoo! I never did manage to win the girl's class when I ran it, so getting my first win against "the boys" makes it feel a little more "legit."

The thing that produced the biggest smile(s) though was the compliment from the guy who's been my track mentor since I was starting out in C group. He stopped me as I was heading past after picking up my trophy, basically complimenting me on becoming a legitimate racer (we had ended up around each other for a bit on one of the races since my start had put me running withe the experts that race).

Full race report and photos in my blog, link in my sig!

· Registered
200 Posts
@HoneyBadger Congratulations on your first race win!!! That's a milestone I'm still hunting for as well! Off track training is so vital for endurance. I've been training non stop so I can never say, I lost because I was tired. Just lack of ability :grin2:

· Registered
303 Posts
@HoneyBadger Congratulations on your first race win!!! That's a milestone I'm still hunting for as well! Off track training is so vital for endurance. I've been training non stop so I can never say, I lost because I was tired. Just lack of ability :grin2:
Ya, at Sonoma that can be a real issue - in fact, my teammate ended up skipping/missing his last race because he was just "too gassed" to pull another one out....and at our round there earlier this year, I was really struggling towards the end, and really struggling with turning the bike in the higher speed quick-change corners.

WAY less of an issue this time, but next year I'll be on a bigger bike, so still have a lot of work in front of me over the winter!

101 - 120 of 136 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.