Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just thought i'd post up my experience test riding these two bikes.
A bit of background: I've been riding every day for two years, commuting two and from work. Until now, i've only ridden bikes that are learner legal in Australia... a Kawasaki GPX250 and a Honda VTR250 (different from the one in the US).

Street Triple Impressions
I first test rode the Street Triple. The ergos on this bike are sweet. Within a few minutes of being on this bike, it felt like i'd owned it for months. It is very comfortable and has loads of power off the line. It felt somehow, familiar.
The test ride was mainly on a freeway. I quickly got to 6th gear on the bike and unexpectedly found myself looking for a higher gear. I was expecting to be blown away with the power of the 675 engine but it kinda left me wanting more... which I found odd considering it was the first time i'd been on a bike bigger than 250cc. I suspect I was not pushing the engine hard enough.

Daytona Impressions
Next I rode the Daytona - Caspian Blue 2010, all stock. First thought, wow... sportbike ergos really are aggressive! This was the first bike I have ridden with proper sportbike ergonomics and I quickly found I was feeling my wrists. I imagine this could be difficult on longer trips, but I plan to use my next purchase mainly as a commuter on under 30km trips so I guess I don't care too much. On the positive side, it felt like the bike had much more grunt that the street triple and a much better top end. It felt like I was going much faster on this bike too, even though I was doing the same speed limit as I was on the street triple. Another thing I quickly noticed was the heat coming from the underseat exhaust. It suprised me that even at 100km/h+ speeds I could feel the heat on the backs of my thighs (wearing jeans)... I expected to only notice it at a standstill. It isn't even a hot day (26C/80F). This kinda worries me.

Common Impressions
I found both bikes that the exhaust note was much quieter than I was expecting - I could hear the traffic easily over the bike unless accelerating hard. I suspect I was riding the bikes wrong... I wasn't really making the engine work hard I don't think.
One thing I found I really dislike is digital speedometers. I am so used to the analog dials I think it will take some getting used to seeing my speed in digits.

Impressions and influence on decision
I have been lusting for the Daytona for months. I didn't like the looks of the Street Triple initially, but I must say they are growing on me. After test riding both bikes, I have the following conclusions based on my personal circumstances

Reasons to buy the Street Triple:

• Insurance is cheaper
  • Less fairing = less damage if dropped
  • Its cheaper
  • Its more comfortable
  • Its easier to work on (bits under the fairing)
  • It was cooler on my thighs (perhaps due to it not being 100% warmed up when I rode it)

Reasons to buy the Daytona

• It looks better (of course, individual choice)
  • I've been lusting and losing sleep over it for months
  • It will be cheaper to throw on an Arrow slip on (3-1 vs 3-2 on Street)
  • Bigger top end, perhaps more suited to rides on a weekend

Obviously from what I am saying, with my circumstances, the head would choose the ST3 and the heart would choose the Daytona.

Why does it have to be so difficult? If only there was a Daytona with the ergos of the ST3. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Sorry for the long winded post :)

Ty

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
What about a Sprint ST or Sprint GT? Faired looks, but more comfortable. There's also the new Kawasaki Ninja 1000. This is not the supersport zx-10, but a 1000cc motor in a faired standard bike with more relaxed ergos.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What about a Sprint ST or Sprint GT? Faired looks, but more comfortable. There's also the new Kawasaki Ninja 1000. This is not the supersport zx-10, but a 1000cc motor in a faired standard bike with more relaxed ergos.
Both are out of my price range and perhaps too big physically for my needs - I need to split traffic a lot on the way to work. I actually prefer the look of the Street Triple to the Sprint anyhow ;) Again, subjective. I am tempted, however, to give the Tiger 800 a ride when its around in Aus.

You're not doing it right until you see the blue lights come on, you'll find out! hahaha
Yeah, I probably didn't even get the shift lights to come on at all. I got to about 110km/h / 70mph on the Street and I felt like I needed to be in 6th gear. Perhaps I should have only been in 5th?

I know now what people mean about the linear power curve though on both bikes, it was a weird feeling to be able to pull in all gears at all road legal speeds.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Yeah, I probably didn't even get the shift lights to come on at all. I got to about 110km/h / 70mph on the Street and I felt like I needed to be in 6th gear. Perhaps I should have only been in 5th?

I know now what people mean about the linear power curve though on both bikes, it was a weird feeling to be able to pull in all gears at all road legal speeds.
If you really weren't immensely impressed with the power compared to your 250 you were definitely riding VERY gently.

On the Daytona you can easily get up to highway speed in 2nd gear, just some food for thought...

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
If you really weren't immensely impressed with the power compared to your 250 you were definitely riding VERY gently.

On the Daytona you can easily get up to highway speed in 2nd gear, just some food for thought...
You can get up to highway speed in 1st gear, actually. Highways here are 65mph, and it tops out between 65 and 70 in first.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Yeah, as I suspected. I think it has something to do with the engine being so torquey that I probably had it in too high a gear most of the time. Might also explain why I thought the bikes were so quiet.

I might need to go to another dealership for a testride :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
The Street Triple has softer power compared to the Daytona, it's near on 20HP down, mainly at the top end of the range, however I think they both sound nice as standard.

The triples are a bit like a twin, I think you get the best out of them by riding them like a 4 cylinder, however the flat torque curve is so flat that it can feel at first like the upper mid-range is flat, it isn't.

When I first rode a Daytona I thought it had a lame top end compared to my CBR600RR but then I realised I was faster everywhere, like a twin, you just learn to ride the way the triple is.

Also... bear in mind that the Daytona is apart from the Ducati 848 THE MOST focussed race rep style position, a CBR600RR is much more nuetral and comfortable, so is a ZX6R, but you soon get used to it, I like it feeling like a racebike.

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
......On the positive side, it felt like the bike had much more grunt that the street triple and a much better top end.....
Ty
Not possible - the Street Triple is tuned/designed to deliver more of its power at a lower speed than the D675, and conversely, the D675 makes up that difference at top speed. It was just the way you were shifting and most likely the ergonomics of the D675 were influencing your impressions. Either way, there's not a lot of difference, so don't lose any sleep over the power curve of either bike, it's an awesome engine. You can ride the D675 faster more easily, (above 100 mph) simply due to the wind protection offered by the riding position and fairings, of course the Striple will run out of legs around 140-ish mph. Riding the Striple over 100 mph makes you feel like a 12 year old kid flogging his bicycle down a very steep hill at ball-breaking speed, you probably won't do it a lot, lol.

Access to engine for maintenance should not carry much weight, you shouldn't be working on it that much.

It is a tough call, think hard about the way you will ride it the most and go from there. Both are fantastic machines. :grin:

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
You don't know much about an engine until you're brought it at least close to the red line, which wasn't the case ^^ But you sure felt it was mellow and civilized when needed :)

As for the Daytona's ergos, remove the bolts securing the clip-ons to the upper clamp, adjust them and you get a far more humane riding position.

You will appreciate gel seats !

You should also note the Daytona allows for efficient HID conversion while the streety doesn't.

Whatever your choice, you can't go wrong (especially if you get a Daytona:whistle:). And don't forget black is the fastest colour :coolgleamA:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yeah I really think that Triumph have done a smoke and mirror job on the engine regarding the 'increased low down torque' many believe that it simply has less top end rush making it feel better in the mid-range when in fact there similar, or even a simple internal gearing change. Also the airbox in the Daytona is designed for high rev performance which probably limits it down low, as in 2-4k RPM.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I went from a 250 to the Daytona 675....best thing I could have ever done with motorcycles.

I have only ridden it...maybe 5-6 times due to cold weather....but everytime I am in awe of how much power low down, in the mid and up high it has to give! And the Striple will give you more low/mid grunt. It is faster from 0-60 I believe than the D675.

Might just want to look at the bike this way...which one do you WANT more...which one will make you smile more? Yea money comes into play, but then just wait till you can afford what you WANT, then you will be truely happy!

Oh and ergos come into play a lot when sport/standards are compared to a supersport. I find almost nothing bad about riding the bike a decent distance. Only thing that I have to get used to is the tank coming into contact with my arm for slow tight turns. The only thing that ever hurt after riding(I rode it about 50 miles when I picked it up at night) was my inner thighs, but that is good for you!!! Build up muscle. Most people who complain about their wrists don't know how to ride properly...

·
Registered
437 Posts
the Striple is a beautiful bike, but i feel the Daytona has a little more versatility. but that could also be due to the fact that i have an FZ6 already and that is similar to the Striple (half fairing on the FZ though).

to make the Daytona a little more of a commuter bike (if the racing ergos do not fit you well) just change to Helibars and throw a gel seat on it.

·
Registered
479 Posts
From what you have said here...

I have been lusting for the Daytona for months. I didn't like the looks of the Street Triple initially, but I must say they are growing on me. After test riding both bikes, I have the following conclusions based on my personal circumstances

• Insurance is cheaper
  • Its cheaper
  • Its more comfortable
  • It was cooler on my thighs (perhaps due to it not being 100% warmed up when I rode it)

Obviously from what I am saying, with my circumstances, the head would choose the ST3 and the heart would choose the Daytona.
... you will regret it if you do not get a Daytona.

Forget the logic and go with what makes you feel good. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Yeah, you definitely weren't doing it right. At 70mph, im probably still in 2nd (or maybe 3rd, depending on my gearing at that time).

·
Registered
2,539 Posts

• Insurance is cheaper
  • Its cheaper
  • Its more comfortable

Why does it have to be so difficult? If only there was a Daytona with the ergos of the ST3. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Ty
I've highlighted above the most logical buying consideration you have to make. :whistle:

Hmm. A Daytona with the ergos of the ST3? Hello, what's that a picture of below I wonder?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I went from the Street Triple (first bike) to the Daytona after a year. You have to buy whichever bike you have your heart set on – otherwise you just won't find excuses to ride it like you should.

The Street Triple is faster off the line. Noticeably so. It's just the way the torque curve is shaped. I find the Daytona more comfortable (and the comments about needing a gel seat certainly aren't accurate in my opinion – I did a 600 mile day in the middle of a 10-day 3200 mile holiday and was fine in the posterior department), but buy what you love and what you fit. You'll get used to the Daytona's ergonomics in about a week if you learn to hang on with your knees :)

Any questions about either then just ask – I did 6000 miles in my year with a Street Triple and have done 7000 in 9 months on my Daytona. The Daytona with an Arrow exhaust sounds far meaner (I don't mean louder – I mean like an F1 car!) than my Street Triple with the 3>1 Arrow – but the Street was louder at idle. I'd say the Arrow exhaust is the first thing you should do to either bike, but definitely aim to get the 3>1 over the 3>2 on the Street.

Sorry, I've waffled a bit – but shout if you want to know anything else!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Ill chime in and say you might need to go for another quick test ride to see how quick they really are

I jumped on a friends Ninja 250 a while ago and gave it back saying there was something wrong with it. There is more than a significant difference, proabably more than anyone would expect!

You mentioned they werent as quick as youd expected - go for another ride, im sure you change your mind...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts