Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

new member here. I bought a new Street Triple R a month ago (2012 model). It rides great and I love how it's getting better during the break-in period.

The one issue that I got is that it the mileage is terrible. I knew these bikes don't get great mileage, but my numbers seems to be unusually bad.

I did 400 miles on it and I have an average of over 8l/100km. Or 29mpg (US) and 35mpg (UK). These are the numbers on the dashboard and using my calculations they are more or less correct.

Compare my numbers with: http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/overview/70-Triumph/1073-Street_Triple.html?sort=1&powerunit=2

I haven't passed 5000RPM for the first 300 miles and haven't passed 6000RPMs at all. The riding was done mostly in the city. Let's say 70% city.

What could cause this? Is there something wrong with the engine? One problem is that I am from Romania and there is no authorized Triumph service here. The closest one is in Budapest and I'd go there only if I know for sure that there is something wrong with the bike.

Let me know if you have any ideas or you encountered the same problem. Thank you!

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
Tronix - even your average is pretty low. I've rode in groups of several 675 (Street Triple/D675 mix) and we all got about 40-44 mpg. We weren't riding easy either, lol. I've consistently got around 42-43 no matter how I ride it, easy or hard.

·
Noob Hazer
12,385 Posts
OH yeah well I get 1mpg because I constantly hit redline.

Also if you bought a fucking sportbike for MPG you have issues and are probably someone that looks at a Vette thinking you could push 50mpg out of it. Come on women turn the wrist and dry those tampons up.

Kidding aside.

Seriously dry those tampons up.

But OP you just said you did most city riding, so that would mean stopping, starting, stopping, starting. Just for those who dont know that is when you are going to use the most gas outside of cold starts. Also the ST being so new still is not broke in, and then we could go into the science of aerodynamics and how you and that bike are far from it, but I am no expert there.

Now go ride and stop looking at that stupid MPG calculator. These things are made for fun, just don't hurt someone or yourself and it's all good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As I said, I did not buy the bike for the mileage. But when I get too ride only 200KMs before my tank is empty, there is a problem. Did you guys have significantly worse mileages before break-in? I just want to find out if there may be a problem with the bike or not (hopefully not)

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
You kids are doing pretty good if you ask me!

I get about 15 miles to a gallon give or take, and my gas costs $10.50 a gallon. For every 25 laps I make at Thunderhill, I use one 5gal gas can on average, or $52....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes, the mpg's should improve a little bit after the break in period. But if you do mostly city driving (70% as you say) I would not be surprised if you never hit more than the low 30's for mpg. I get about 37-38 mpg's with my combination of riding to work (50/50 highway and city). If I'm just cruising on the superslab, I'll get maybe around 45mpg.

Also, make sure you aren't short shifting it too much. The STR does like to rev a little bit. While the torque curve is flat enough to pull below 4000 rpms, you might actually be lowering your fuel economy by keeping the revs too low. I wouldn't cruise around town at anything lower than 4000 rpms because you start to dip below the very broad power band. It's not necessarily lugging the engine per se, but it will be less efficient here.

Wait until after the break-in period before you start worrying about a problem, but you may not see much improvement if your riding is mostly city.

·
Noob Hazer
12,385 Posts
You kids are doing pretty good if you ask me!

I get about 15 miles to a gallon give or take, and my gas costs $10.50 a gallon. For every 25 laps I make at Thunderhill, I use one 5gal gas can on average, or $52....
Oh yeah well I get a tank to every mile. WHAT NOW!!!

1 - 20 of 92 Posts