Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can't open my tank to save my life. key works fine but the tank is obviously a vacuum. am i missing something?

did some searching and didn't turn up anything useful. can anyone point me in the right direction?

i did find mention of a hose that is to "keep the tank from becoming a vacuum." pinched hose? operator error?

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
If your tank had formed a vacuum, your motor should've been starved from gas, so I guess you might want to check if you're turning the key the right way etc :whistle:

·
Banned
365 Posts
if there was a flash fire in the fuel tank the diffrence in pressure would make the hatch very hard to open..
Some Ahole keyed my tank the other day and i was taking photos just now, here is an open tank to help motivate

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
haha, i'll be certain to turn the key in every which way just to be sure

and omg, that pic has inspired me to keep trying, despite the backdraft risk :nod:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haha! did a search for "vapor lock" which isn't actually what's happening, but in a related thread macbandit mentioned that the exact thing that's happening with my bike could be caused by a pinched off vent hose. thoughts/ ideas/ comments? this'll be my starting point. thanks for any input.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
It goes from under the tank to the sprocket, as far as I remember.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
haha! did a search for "vapor lock" which isn't actually what's happening, but in a related thread macbandit mentioned that the exact thing that's happening with my bike could be caused by a pinched off vent hose. thoughts/ ideas/ comments? this'll be my starting point. thanks for any input.
Yes check the hoses under the tank that lead downward to the bottom of the bike. Start there, report back if not fixed and hopefully someone smarter than me on this can chime in.

·
Race Team Sponsor & Beer Pongaholic
3,286 Posts
It is very easy for junk to get inside the lock cylinder. It sounds similar to many daytona gas caps I have seen. Get some liquid graphite and run it into the lock. Then while turning the key, push down on the front part of the cap with your other hand until the lock fully disengages.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
success!

the hose from the tank to the carbon canister / evap can was pinched TIGHT underneath the tank. unplugged it from the useless black box and squeezed... *air leak..... bong!*

thanks to everyone who had some input.

now i just have to see if i can route the hose better or if its just forever crimped.

now to order my tuneecu cable so i can pull my engine code and pin up and tune out my exup valve. :thumbup:

one more question: my bike only has one hose going into the evap can. i see the connector for a hose going out, but there is no hose. is this just how it is?

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Posting because I asked the question to myself, "Where the hell is my evap can?" But correct if I'm wrong the evap can is a Cali thing only?!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
yeah i've been searching for what exactly i need to do with the 2 hoses attached to it. anyone know off the top of their head? our search engine seems to be like 80% good. i still need to look through the how to's.

i think we're the only state that requires that kind of crud on the bikes. from what i've read a lot of times a company will just put it on all bikes because it's simpler than keeping track of which one's they can send here. so i could get in trouble if i took it off, and got pulled over, and the cop took my fairings off, and knew what was missing.... i dunno how dealerships feel about bikes that've been modified.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts