Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is why my wife worries when I get bored...
For my first attempt I'm happy as with the result, I figged if I made a dogs dinner out of it I'd just have to weld it back up and re-paint it.
You never know till you try.
Waddya think?

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
not bad at all mate, looks pretty clean and adds a nice unique look to your bike aswell. i like how you left some solid struts in there not just cut the whole lot out.
braver than me tho. i would need so many pairs of underpants to try something like that. i worried about having to fit the gb crash protection pack comming in the mail let alone the fender eliminator! hahah

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
braver than me tho. i would need so many pairs of underpants to try something like that. i worried about having to fit the gb crash protection pack comming in the mail let alone the fender eliminator! hahah
Took a deep breath before the first cut!
I've had her for 4+ years now and want to be a little unique.
When it was new (06) I had to have my crash protectors made for me!
And folded up my own rego plate bracket after taking off the stock one.
Fabricating bits and pieces is something I get a massive amount of enjoyment out of though, and I've been given the green light to buy a Tig welder and some other new toys when I can get the cash together…
Pity our oven blew up, it'll have to wait a little longer…:notamused:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I can't tell much by the pics, did you throw so black or gold mesh screen behind the holes? If not, i figure it'd be worth it.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Black mesh, made a mould of the shape and pressed the mesh into it so it sits flush with the surface.
Panted them black and stuck them in…
I’m trying to make it sound easy but it was a right bitch!
But if it was easy then where’s the challenge?
Sorry bout the photo, I’ll get it in some sunlight and take some more.

·
Premium Member
9,300 Posts
Looks good man. Definitely would not have the balls to try it on my bike though! :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Alright, I don't want to do this but someone has to... :p

Great job on the initiative and design, however it seems like you might have rushed through the cutting process. It seems in the photograph that some of the lines are a little jagged, or that could just be because the paint flaked off in certain regions giving it that impression. Either way, as of right now it seems a little half finished to me.

The bottom of the curve (one near the seat) seems like it points a bit too much inward and away from the outer line of the tail, giving it a slightly unnatural feel and breaking the line of the tail.

Please understand that I'm not trying to be a dick, just offering an honest opinion in response to what I'm seeing. I don't have the balls to cut into any part of my bike because I know that I lack the skill. You on the other hand took a risk and it came out pretty good. I'd say if you had another run at it you would definitely be able to improve on what's done before and make it so much cleaner.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Constructive criticism? Bout bloody time! :laugh:

No offence taken, a heat gun and I'll whip the mesh back out and spend some time with the finer details but I was kinda running out of time!
Bloody mate and his nacked old car!
Most of it is the paint chipping, but I'm a pedantic prick when it comes to my bike so I'll be fussing over it on my next long stretch off.
I did run the lines curving in a wee bit, I didn't want it too fat then tapered but yea, it was a compromise.
And if I wake up hating it I'll fill them and re paint it.
But if a talentless wannabe like me can do this on my first shot, then hopefully someone will run with the idea!

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
I'm glad you took it the exact way I meant it :cool2:

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I'mwondering if Superlight's mod wouldn't be easier... Too bad I find no suitable mesh around T_T Vents on the fairing are cool, too :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,176 Posts

Great job on the initiative and design, however it seems like you might have rushed through the cutting process. It seems in the photograph that some of the lines are a little jagged, or that could just be because the paint flaked off in certain regions giving it that impression. Either way, as of right now it seems a little half finished to me.

The bottom of the curve (one near the seat) seems like it points a bit too much inward and away from the outer line of the tail, giving it a slightly unnatural feel and breaking the line of the tail.

Please understand that I'm not trying to be a dick, just offering an honest opinion in response to what I'm seeing. I don't have the balls to cut into any part of my bike because I know that I lack the skill. You on the other hand took a risk and it came out pretty good. I'd say if you had another run at it you would definitely be able to improve on what's done before and make it so much cleaner.
Dick :laugh:

·
MacGyver / BOTM / BOTY Winner
1,253 Posts
Nice job, Karl.

But if a talentless wannabe like me can do this on my first shot...
No my friend, that's certainly not talentless. You want to mod something? I say "Go for it." That's what personalizing one's own bike is all about. Are the heel plates on your footpeg assemblies original? If so, the webbing you created in your vents helps to carry the theme of that web in each heel plate. :thumbup:

I was hoping to post a photo of the vents and mesh I did back in late 2006 - but I can't get into photobucket for some reason. I'll try later.

Black mesh, made a mould of the shape and pressed the mesh into it so it sits flush with the surface.
Now that's ironic. Guess what I started to do about a month ago on mine? I obtained some very nice black expanded aluminum and began to form new mesh for all my openings. The diamond of this mesh measures about 4mm by 2.5mm and really looks pro. Being aluminum, it's relatively easy to form by hand and push outward to match the surface of each body panel. The project was delayed as I removed the 3-piece carbon fiber belly pan from my R1100SP, reinforced weak areas with fiberglass, cut a large hole in the front for cooling, made the mesh for this opening (same process as above), masked off the carbon fiber I wanted to show, and have begun to shoot paint. These belly pans are not that common on this model BMW, and I've never seen anyone paint their's body color. Should look pretty good.

Reminds me of Superlight's mods. (And that's a good thing) Good job :thumbup:
Thanks again, Nick.

:gomods:

·
MacGyver / BOTM / BOTY Winner
1,253 Posts
I'mwondering if Superlight's mod wouldn't be easier
It sure would be :nod:, Smoke. Cutting a hole in that part of the tail AND leaving webs is WAY more time consuming and patience taxing than cutting just one large hole.

... Too bad I find no suitable mesh around T_T Vents on the fairing are cool, too :thumbup:
Really? You have attempted to contact a local metal supply house of some kind? No luck?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts