Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when the weather gets a bit nicer I'm going to start track daying it up, and I just wonder, for the people who ride both track and street, how long does the routine of swapping between the two take?

I know I won't be getting track plastics until I'm sure that I'll be hitting the track a lot, but when I think about it, the idea of swapping my plastics and whatnot seems like it'd be time consuming... Especially considering I've got my HID ballasts in the side panels (although next time I disassemble it I'll move them to the nose).

So basically... how much time do you spend getting your bike ready for a track day?

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
When my D675 was seeing double duty at first it took me about an hour. But I did it so much that I built up a routine that was very efficient and could do it literally in 20 minutes. (And yes, that included a wheel change to DOTs). If you want a detailed routine how I did it, let me know.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm debating the same thing right now as I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of Sharkskinz. I just started riding last year (did 4-5 track days) however I know this year I plan on doing at least 10. I figured the track plastics would be a good investment however I still want to be able to ride it on the stree (without rigging up some crappy lights just to make it barely legal)

·
Registered
860 Posts
Just as tooblekain said, at first it took me 45min to an hour. Now I have it down to about a 30min routine. In my case, that includes swapping my windshield over from street stuff to the race stuff and vice versa.

It's really no where near as much of a chore as it seems like it would be.

Last time I did it, it took me an hour and fifteen minutes, but that included pulling the wheels, removing street tires, installing dots, eatng a few slices of pizza, and finishing the job. Haha.

·
Registered
173 Posts
It took be about 45 minutes also. It included changing the windscreen, taping up all lights and removing fuses, removing license plate.
I also have a 'junk' tail fairing I change to also.

This is minus changing the coolant over which happens in the spring.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I usually take about 20 mins to an hour... changing out plastics only, no wheels.

I leave a crappy front fender on the bike for street riding, but that'd only take an add'l couple of minutes. I just changed to a fender eliminator so I don't have to take the plate assembly off, that will save some time. I got a clear windshield for the track, and that also cuts down time, as I just leave it on the track fairing.
The biggest pain for me is that I park in a public garage, so I have to take my tools and fairings down, and take the old ones back up to the apt.

I admit, while it's not hard to do, I thought it would be a lot more convenient and easy. If I had a garage, it probably would be easier, but when it's hot out (stifling in the garage), and I'm going to go back to the track in a couple of weeks, chances are good I'm going to just leave the track plastics on and not street ride for that time.

When I didn't have the track glass, prepping for the track took approx 2 minutes. Tape lights, unplug light fuse, remove mirrors and license plate. Probably should have just picked up a spare set of OG fairings and kept doing that.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh god I completely forgot about the license plate... I have a CompWerkes fender eliminator which will probably be a bitch to remove.

When my D675 was seeing double duty at first it took me about an hour. But I did it so much that I built up a routine that was very efficient and could do it literally in 20 minutes. (And yes, that included a wheel change to DOTs). If you want a detailed routine how I did it, let me know.
WHAAAAAT? Okay, I'm curious since it includes the tire change. Post an explanation if you can.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Used to take me about an hour.

Yet despite that, I became less and less inclined to convert the bike back to street mode when I came back from the track each time.

So I bought a track bike. Problem solved, for the price of a crash damaged SV 650 ...

O.B

·
Registered
860 Posts
WHAAAAAT? Okay, I'm curious since it includes the tire change. Post an explanation if you can.
I do believe that he stated a WHEEL change, and not a tire change... haha. Mine was the tire change and a break for pizza, and that took about an hour and fifteen min. hAHA...

·
Registered
531 Posts
A wheel change takes no time at all. I've done a tire changes in <10 but that was with someone else running the wheels to the tire vendor and him doing those before anyone elses. And me just working pulling the wheels and putting them back on. Amazing what you can do in order to make a race.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I did this for awhile, but it got really annoying. Since I already had all the extra track stuff, I ended up just going all in and buying a trackbike of the same make/model/year. Track prep time gets much shorter.

·
Registered
860 Posts
^^ agreed. If I could come up with the funds to find a salvaged bike, I'd most likely go ahead and get another bike. But for now, I'll just keep using mine for double duty.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
So when the weather gets a bit nicer I'm going to start track daying it up, and I just wonder, for the people who ride both track and street, how long does the routine of swapping between the two take?

I know I won't be getting track plastics until I'm sure that I'll be hitting the track a lot, but when I think about it, the idea of swapping my plastics and whatnot seems like it'd be time consuming... Especially considering I've got my HID ballasts in the side panels (although next time I disassemble it I'll move them to the nose).

So basically... how much time do you spend getting your bike ready for a track day?
Assuming your talking about how long to make it so it passes tech inspection and is safe to ride, maybe about 30 minutes total.

5-10 minutes of taping things up depending how neat you are :). Warning - DO NOT get excited and do this like 3 days before because you'll just need to do it again when the track day comes lol.

maybe 10 looking things over to make sure its safe and no bolts are backing out or whatever. And another 10 oiling the chain (will need to do this every track day).

And now that I've gone through the process a few times and the bikes a track only bike now I can get everything loaded into the truck and bike on the trailer in maybe an hour and a half...and I take a ton of shit.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It seems the obvious solution for me is to keep my pants on and buy a track bike in a few years, haha. I'll just tape up the headlights and whatnot in the meantime.

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
It seems the obvious solution for me is to keep my pants on and buy a track bike in a few years, haha. I'll just tape up the headlights and whatnot in the meantime.
LOL... yes...WHEEL change...not TIRE change. I have an extra set of wheel with DOTs. However I did get relatively proficient with a No-Mar...(thanks to MGFChapin and Privateer's Garage--did 5 wheels in a week period). so maybe add another 20 minutes?

If you don't want to tape up lights, I made headlight infills out of fiberglass that Im looking to sell.

·
Registered
957 Posts
i would serously think about a second bike...a cheap sv650. you have a really nice bike and once that baby goes down it will never be the same again...

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
i would serously think about a second bike...a cheap sv650. you have a really nice bike and once that baby goes down it will never be the same again...
+1...my Daytona's been down about 8 times. She went from precious gem to diamond in the rough.

·
Registered
780 Posts
You could do it in 30 mins or less if you don't have track plastics.
1.Tape up all lights (turnsignals, tail light, and head light)
2. Unplug head light by the fuse box, no need to pull fuses
3. Unplug the tail light
4. Remove mirrors, license plate, and passenger pegs if they are still on the bike.
5. check all fluids
6. OPTIONAL but strongly recommended. Safety wire at a min. the oil drain plug, oil filter, oil fill plug, and dip stick. Once those items are saftey wired there is no need to do it again in the future so time is saved.

I think that is a basic list that will get you past tech, keeping in mind your tires must be in good shape and other things like nuts and bolts are tight. Also check out what restrictions your track org. has on coolant types. I believe most will let you run just about anything you want in the beginner and intermediate groups.

·
Registered
780 Posts
On a side note I think you will find that it takes longer to get your bike loaded on to a trailer or truck and get the rest of your gear together and make sure everything is secure than it does to get the bike prepped. I have an enclosed trailer that I leave all my track tools, chairs, EZ-UP and things like that in and I still feel like it takes me for ever to load up things like cooler, food, riding gear, gas, front and rear stands and other misc. items. Maybe if I didn't live in a town house and had a nice garage I could cut down on the walking back and forth. Even though it may take awhile to get ready in my opinion that is half the fun of a trackday. Prepping the bike isn't my favorite thing to do but I get a ton of enjoyment out of working on it and tinkering, and preparing for the trackday just serves to get me even more pumped up and excited to ride. Just have fun with it and don't get all worried about the little things like some people do. Just get your bike gear and gas to the track safe, with lots of food and water. Tools and such are great to have but if you don't have alot a room for them you can just borrow some at the track from someone like me who never minds helping a fellow rider out. After you do a few trackdays you will be like me and buying track plastics and be like the rest of us here ADDICTED.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.