Triumph 675 Forums banner
261 - 280 of 305 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Ever ride in the cold all bundled up and people ask you about being cold? God it makes me want to punch an infant. There I am standing next to my bike wearing so many layers I can barely zip my jacket shut and I'm still freezing my balls off and mother fuckers still gotta ask me "hey...aren't you cold?" If I could strike someone with lightning...

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've heard people say:
"I don't wear gear because I have confidence in my riding ability and I won't crash. You'll get up to my level and wear less gear in a couple months."
"Buying gear is stupid. You should spend that money and get mods to make your bike go faster instead."

My response is usually: "Uhh.. yeah have fun with that." and walk away.
Unfortunately my dad (rides a Harley) is of that first opinion. Turns out no matter how much you argue they're adamant that "since they're such good riders" that it's impossible to get in a wreck.

Side note, I did get him to wear a Snell full face during winter months. That's a step, right?

·
2,459 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
During our battalion rides(USMC), I am always the only one in full leathers, which scares me. For awhile when I'd show up to work in them, someone would play the power rangers theme song on their phone. After finishing the rides up on whatever mountain we go to, they don't make any more snide comments, and typically ask questions about getting decent gear, which is good. Unfortunately the Marine riding culture is generally about the perception of "looking good"(in their case, 707 helmet, icon textile jacket, jeans and combat boots), and not riding well.

·
Registered
528 Posts
During our battalion rides(USMC), I am always the only one in full leathers, which scares me. For awhile when I'd show up to work in them, someone would play the power rangers theme song on their phone. After finishing the rides up on whatever mountain we go to, they don't make any more snide comments, and typically ask questions about getting decent gear, which is good. Unfortunately the Marine riding culture is generally about the perception of "looking good"(in their case, 707 helmet, icon textile jacket, jeans and combat boots), and not riding well.
And a wild Devils Advocate appears!

I asked you that too. :whistle:

·
Registered
248 Posts
This kid comes up to me this past weekend not to comment about my gear but about my bike.

I pulled up into parking structure and a guy waves me over to park in the motorcycle area. I get off my bike and thank him. He says "that's a nice bike you got there, I've never seen a new Triumph". I say thanks, and that I just got it 2 months ago.

A guy comes over and says "you just got this?"

Me: Yeah, not too long ago, it's my first bike.
Him: "You should have gotten a Yamaha R1 or Yamaha R6...they're the best bikes out there...what bike is this?
Me: It's a Triumph Daytona.
Him: What's a Triumph? Never heard of it?. Must be really nice...look at all this carbon you have on it.
Me: It's a nice bike for my first bike.
Him: You should take this to the canyons, that's where I'm heading to right now. It's the best place to develop your skills.

By now, I should have stopped talking to him....but it goes on...

Me: I'm going to sign up for the advanced rider safety class and also superbike school when the weather gets cooler, but right now, I just enjoy riding it around.
Him: Oh...you don't need that...I've been riding for 1 year without a license without any issues.

THIS is where I stop talking to him... "See you later man, I'm gonna meet up with some friends" He walks away, wearing his chest plate and back armor, a t-shirt, and some cheap gloves. Jumps on his R6, and his girl hops on the back (she's wearing heels, regular pants, and a tank top). He revs like a mad man exiting the parking structure then takes off blaring down the street. What a tool....

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Met up with a friend and he brought someone with him to just bought a Ninja 650 as his first bike. Good on him. Sadly, wearing shorts, a tank top, and mechanics gloves.

He has pretty elegant tattoos covering both shoulders.
Me "You like those tattoos"
Him "Yea..."
Me "Get a jacket"
Him "Yea, but I don't want to be sweating all the time"
Me "I'd rather sweat now than bleed later"

Why do I bother.

·
Registered
30 Posts
"glad you're wearing gear, you sport bike riders need it. If you were on a Harley going 40 mph you would be fine, they don't need all the gear you do." .....from my sister...MY SISTER!

Took all I had not to reach up and punch myself in the face.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
"glad you're wearing gear, you sport bike riders need it. If you were on a Harley going 40 mph you would be fine, they don't need all the gear you do." .....from my sister...MY SISTER!

Took all I had not to reach up and punch myself in the face.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Well Harleys do go only 40mph so she is right about one thing.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Some people will never understand until they wreck. Sad but true. When I went over the handlebars at 55 MPH on the freeway (cut off, had no options for a way out), my helmet undoubtedly saved my life and my jacket fully saved my skin. While I don't wear full track leathers, I ALWAYS have a helmet, jacket, and quality riding gloves. I'm guilty of jeans and sometimes gym shoes. While I know this is problematic, they served well enough for the above wreck, but I know it's not enough. I got lucky. It always amazes me to see anything less than what I wear, which is already sub par for a wreck.

Sent from my HTC One

·
Registered
496 Posts
Even in the summer time when I am all geared up.... I get asked, "Are you hot in all that gear." Then I take the 15 minutes to show them all the vents and perforations that allow air to flow and keep me cool. Then I end with, "When I am riding @ 60MPH there is an instant cooling affect." They laugh and carry on.

Then in the fall/winter when the temps get around 40. Take for example yesterday. I went to work on the Rocket and it was 45-50 outside. It usually takes me 45 minutes to get to work. The sun was out and not a single cloud in the sky... I only saw one other rider out! I am all bundled up and I love it.

So then I get those people who are fair weather riders...., "How can you ride with all that gear on...." I just ride away and not even answer that question. I then get the really stupid ones..., "Are you cold its like 30 degrees outside...." I guess that forget that layers of under armour, longs johns, thick socks, ect. don't keep you warm at all.

I am rocking all my gear in the colder weather months. If you have not tried it gear up to the max and go ride when it 30-40 out. Yesterday was perfect and so was 3:30AM when I am on my way back. It is the most invigorating experience. IT is like elevating all of your senses to the max. You see better, you can smell all of the aromas of mother nature. (I use a major road that cuts in between a forest preserve.) Absolute harmony between you and your machine. The humm of the Arrow, the vibration of the engine, the freshly paved asphalt meets the Diablo Corsa SP's, the Cold air moves across your face and brings with it the smell of bon fires, fallen leaves, freshly cut grass, and the deep woodsy aroma. Nothing in life can take you to a place like this...nothing.

Sorry about the day dream... It is still so fresh in my mind.

Ride safe all,

Joe

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I can agree with that to the max. I was out yesterday with temps in the lower 40s. It was amazing. I love fall riding and your description is perfect. Not gonna lie...I kinda got a broner reading it.

Sent from my HTC One

Reactions: 675R_Daytona

·
Registered
521 Posts
I've only had compliments on my gear (all Dainese with a Bell RS-1).

However I've run into people that don't wear a thing and I bring it up why don't they wear anything, especially a helmet. I shit you not the answer I always get "Helmets mess with my peripheral vision and I've already wrecked without one and didn't need it." That's the kind of idiots here in Kentucky....

·
Registered
199 Posts
We all get these stupid comments. One time, must of been about six years ago when my son was about 14 years old, he and I went for a ride. I made him wear gear when he rode on the back of my bike and he actually liked it - thought it was cool. We stop for a break and walk into a 7/11 and a guy starts giving me crap about wearing leathers. He's telling em that he never wears any riding gear when he rides his 'chopper'. My son steps up in the middle of this conversation with his soda and says 'well then you're an organ donor'. This wasn't a little guy and he wasn't the friendly type and I almost choked on the soda I was drinking. The guy wasn't that bad as he shut the f up and walked away.

261 - 280 of 305 Posts