Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 305 Posts

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm just curious what kind of things you hear from people when wearing your gear in public? I wear all protective gear but usually blue jeans instead of my riding pants and get repeated stares from my jacket, boots, etc when going in to get something at the store or if i am out with friends.

I was out last night and this guy i was walking past glances at me and asks why i am wearing all this ridiculous gear, especially dumbass looking boots "just" to ride a motorcycle? I resisted the overwhelming desire to put my helmet on and headbutt him and just responded "because i like my ankles attached to my leg" then walked away.....

Share your story!

·
Premium Member
9,300 Posts
I'm just curious what kind of things you hear from people when wearing your gear in public? I wear everything but pants and get repeated stares from my jacket, boots, etc when going in to get something at the store or if i am out with friends.

I was out last night and this guy i was walking past glances at me and asks why i am wearing all this ridiculous gear, especially dumbass looking boots "just" to ride a motorcycle? I resisted the overwhelming desire to put my helmet on and headbutt him and just responded "because i like my ankles attached to my leg" then walked away.....

Share your story!
Well there's your problem. :laugh:

Typical response - "Doesn't all that gear make you hot?"
Track/race suit - "You look like a power ranger"

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I went on a private bike tour outside of Barcelona a few years back. Both myself and my guide had full leathers on, and my guide leads me to a restaurant for lunch. Ended up being a really nice place in the countryside, no way I thought they'd let us in. He assured me it wasn't an issue, and takes clients there all the time after a ride. Picture two sweaty guys in full race suits having a 5 course lunch with fine silverwere and linens.

What a site we must have been, should have taken a picture. :laugh:

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jstu202, lmao, you got me there, ill correct that. :laugh: everything but riding pants

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
'Arent you hot?' 9 times out of 10. The other times it's 'keep the helmet on when we do it' idk if that's an insult or not

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
'Arent you hot?' 9 times out of 10. The other times it's 'keep the helmet on when we do it' idk if that's an insult or not
well, it does offer "protection" doesnt it? :rofl2:

·
Registered
116 Posts
I wear my gear n people ask, ru riding a motorcycle or something...no I'm just wearing my gear cuz it makes me look taller n bigger, I'm 5'5''

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wear my gear n people ask, ru riding a motorcycle or something...no I'm just wearing my gear cuz it makes me look taller n bigger, I'm 5'5''
i saw someone here that responded... "no, i just walk really fast and this keeps me from getting road rash if i trip"

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
This happened the day I was riding my new bike home. Pulled into a gas station and a kid on a beat up r6 pulls up to the pump on the other side of where I was at. Wearing cargo shorts, some adidas shoes, and a short sleeved shirt.

Squid: Nice bike, is it your first?
Me: Thanks. 6th, what would make you assume that?
Squid: Ohh, all the gear, I figured you were new to riding.
Me: So how long you been riding?
Squid: Since June.

I thought of about 50 different smart ass remarks but I held my breath. Didn't even want to waste another 30 seconds of my life talking to a brick wall.

·
Registered
404 Posts
That pretty much takes the cake right there.

·
Registered
813 Posts
100 degree day, in the gas station with just my leather jacket on (and street clothes underneat :cool:) lady said, "i hope you get rid of that jacket by this afternoon.

people actually think i'm crazy when i tell them it actually helps keep me cooler. no direct sun and it is perforated, gets a ton of air flow.

·
Registered
246 Posts
One late morning I was in The Krispy Kreme cooling off after a ride (it was already over 100 degrees outside) with my helmet in hand, full leathers, back protector, etc and I noticed an obviously homeless man who was nursing his 25 cent coffee. Eventually when I was starting to leave he came up to me and asked "is that a ski outfit?"

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
the power rangers comment is classic, ive had that a few times as well.

i typically wear all leathers when i ride, i dont ride around town much, just in the mountains. i get comments all the time, "arent you hot in all that" is the typical.

i tend to not be a smartass. i just give an explanation usually. how i like my skin, and id rather be hot than have my skin peeled off if i go down, etc. plus all my gear is perforated, so i explain once im up to speed i really dont get that hot. its just when im at stop lights and such.

its better to be polite and explain your reasoning for the gear, hopefully most people wont see you as a jackass and follow your lead and wear their gear.

i have had guys pull up on their bikes wearing shorts and tshirts etc. and when you talk politely to them, for the most part, they listen. of course there are guys who will do what they will. but its good to try and be a positive influence.

·
Super Moderator
2,122 Posts
Well there's your problem. :laugh:

Typical response - "Doesn't all that gear make you hot?"
Track/race suit - "You look like a power ranger"
I get both those alot, but the power ranger comment is usually by a Harley rider. To which I reply "Better to look like a power ranger, than a member of the Village People"

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
my hooligan 2 milspec is neon green with reflective stripes so it gets a lot of attention, which is the point. with that and my back protector underneath ive gotten "ninja turtle" before.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
People ask if I ride when I have the jacket/gloves/helmet/boots/etc and I just tell them with a straight face that No, I have a problem with walking into walls and falling over alot and this was recommended by my doctor.

1 - 20 of 305 Posts