Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all fellow triumph riders!

My name is Sean or TSPOON.

I started riding at the very start of this past season on a 2009 Ninja 250r. Prior to that, I had zilch riding experience (unless you count a bicycle) ;). I took it very seriously; I took the Motorycyle Safety Course at my local dealer (North American Warhorse)/DMV and it was a blast...not to mention effective. I spent countless hours learning about the theories and how-to's of riding. I took my father’s and countless other's advice on starting on the Ninja 250, and I am so very glad that I did; I find myself ramming the same idea into my friends heads who want to just jump right onto a 600cc as their first bike. I only had one minor spill while practicing maximum lean angle in a parking lot, other than that it was all smooth sailing, and not to mention FUN…I was in love.

After a few months and a few thousand miles a week (I rode/ride constantly) I decided I wanted to get a bike that I have had my eye on since I first occupied the idea of riding. Never did I think that I would have gotten this bike so soon, but I was set on it and I was going to make it happen. Aaaan that bike is Duh Duhh Duhduhhhhh—the Triumph Street Triple R. I got a used 2009 STR while I still had my Ninja and frantically tried to find a buyer for the Leaner-mobile, as I was eager to get my funds back up…I found a buyer in a few weeks. What attracted me to the STR is, well, everything about it! I love naked bikes, I love the power delivery of the 3 cylinder engine, I love the styling of it, and I LOVE how you get the performance of a race replica but with a more comfortable seating position and more useable power curve. The thing is a beast! It handles like a dream, with that short wheel base and all, the brakes are unbelievable strong (thank you Daytona), and I can go on and on forever about what I like about this bike. I plan on keeping this bad boy for a long time and intend to do some mods to it as time goes on- I would love to chop the sub frame and bob the seat OR toss the Daytona rear end on it, as I have seen others do. That mod is actually what attracted me to register for this site. But enough about the Striple..

My next move was to buy a used cruiser and make a bobber out of it with the help of Blue Collar Bobbers’ line of “bold-on” bobber parts. I have never been into cruisers much but I like to tinker with things, like the look of bobbers, and could use a cycle to just bop around town on when not riding spiritedly. I was thinking a blvd or a vstar and had all the parts/$$ mapped out. Well upon my searching for a candidate for tspoon’s monster garage, I came across a 2009 1100 Vstar that was ALREADY in the midst of getting a Blue Collar Bobber make-over. It already had most of the parts that I wanted to put on it..the EXACT parts. While I was a bit disappointed that I wasn’t going to be involved in the make-over as heavily as I intended, I could not pass up the deal. I got the damn thing for $2,800 and it had about $700 in parts that I was going to buy for it anyway. The thing is a bute and exactly what I was looking for. I am very satisfied with the purchase and still have some plans in store for the build.

I find most joy in riding through the country (we have nice, long, windy, fairly unpopulated roads around here that weave and roll through the mountains that seem to go on forever. Every time I hop on the bike, I get a rush of feeling excited, alive, and vulnerable all at once. I am DYING to get to a track and have the opportunity to really push my limits and expand my skills, however, I do not know of many options in the North Eastern PA area…maybe Pocono Mountain, but I need to research it more.

Well, I hope that I did not write too much and am going to discourage people from reading my first post haha but I can talk about bikes for DAYS, and often do. ;p

Say Hi, please..I am hoping to be involved on the community here. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Welcome and great intro. And you picked the right place to come brag about your bike as well as all the questions that will likely surface throughout your ownership. Great community here with an incredible wealth of knowledge. Enjoy your bike and keep the rubber side down!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome and great intro. And you picked the right place to come brag about your bike as well as all the questions that will likely surface throughout your ownership. Great community here with an incredible wealth of knowledge. Enjoy your bike and keep the rubber side down!
Thanks for taking the time to read it, man! I found myself on this site a lot just being a lurker and I decided, ya know what, I can def benefit from registering!
Thanks brothaman, back at you!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Wow, that's an intro I will never forget. Welcome aboard!!! As Aelous mention it's a great community will you find genuine people who actually care to give you good and honest advice to the best of their abilities.

Excellent move on providing pics right in the beginning. Seems like you will fit in fine. The more you are involved with the community more you get out of it!

Keep the rubber side down.

09 ST3R

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha glad you like it, Nef. Thank you for the welcoming! I sure seems like a great community and I am eager to get more involved and share my experiences with others on here.

Safe Ridin!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hahaha i call them elephant ears and they work quite well! It gets cold here and mother Nature can't just expect me to not ride my bike over the winter lol. The mitts still get a bit cold but i have to have weak gloves. I think if i step up my glove game I'll have no problems.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Hahaha i call them elephant ears and they work quite well! It gets cold here and mother Nature can't just expect me to not ride my bike over the winter lol. The mitts still get a bit cold but i have to have weak gloves. I think if i step up my glove game I'll have no problems.
Welcome! Nice intro! Why not heated gloves? I've tried numerous "glove" solutions for cold weather and it seems like there is no better solution than heated gloves.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

And yes
Pocono raceway does trackdays as does Milville New Jersey.

Don't' hesitate and continue your progress in learning to ride and take a race school or trackday. I believe New York Safety Track will be running this year as well.

Enjoy the bikes, nice job.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome to the forum.

And yes
Pocono raceway does trackdays as does Milville New Jersey.

Don't' hesitate and continue your progress in learning to ride and take a race school or trackday. I believe New York Safety Track will be running this year as well.

Enjoy the bikes, nice job.
Ah, great! I have trouble finding information on it via their websites and the internet..I have been looking for somebody that personally has experience with local track days. I would LOVE to go to a track and take race lessons. I have looked into the ones in cali, but the overall cost of the trip would be too high for my justification. But, believe me, I really want to further my skills in a controlled environment and hopefully under some kind of coaching.

Welcome! Nice intro! Why not heated gloves? I've tried numerous "glove" solutions for cold weather and it seems like there is no better solution than heated gloves.
I actually am considering heated gloves, I currently have a heated vest and it is great. I am not sure if i will need them though, because those handlebar muffs that I use are very effective, and I think combined with non-heated winter gloves will be golden. However, it would be nice to just ex the muffs all together, and just use heated gloves, as the muffs sliiightly hinder mobility and cover my bar end mirrors.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hello Tspoon, I am not sure if I should welcome you or not as I have only just joined the forum also, so will start with "Hello fellow newbie" I read with interest that you plan to bobtail your STR, I too have dreams of amputation for my new ride. So would love to hear your thoughts on the subject, styling, materials, possible construction and so on. I start with a plank canvas, as I picked up a dirt cheap two week old dropped ST in need of a few new parts. So don't feel to bad changing things up.

regards
Falcon

1 - 13 of 13 Posts