Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone I ride the tracks with uses slicks with tire warmers and I'm on Diablo Rossos. They encourage me to switch over but I'm not sure if it makes sense since I don't think I've reached the Rosso's limits and I feel fairly comfortable on them. Wanted to hear what you guys think

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I guess the question for me is how often do you ride the Track? If it is 4 or more times a year get slicks, if not stick with street tires that you have.

·
Premium Member
2,977 Posts
No need to upgrade to slicks unless you are running Mid Advanced Pack Pace at least. Even then it's not necessary. Lots of the "front of the pack" Advanced riders use DOTs... Look at the AMA 600 class, they run DOTs...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks. I do ride the pace of the Mid Advance Group, and I agree because I've seen guys on DOTs but they were more of a track tire than mine. My next tires are gonna be the Rosso Corsas, heard they're better for track use

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Thanks. I do ride the pace of the Mid Advance Group, and I agree because I've seen guys on DOTs but they were more of a track tire than mine. My next tires are gonna be the Rosso Corsas, heard they're better for track use
If you're looking at Rossos, then slicks are quite a few levels higher (assuming you're talking about real race slicks).

There's the new Pierrli track day slicks that seem to be getting good reviews. I always thought they where just a treadless version of the Corsa IIIs, but I think they're a little different. Biggest advantage seems to be the lack of tread related wear.

I personally don't see any great advantage in them for the average rider, and one huge disadvantage if the track gets wet.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
You don't need slicks.

I am riding with Metzeler Racetec K2's, and regularly get past guys on litre bikes who are using slicks and warmers.

Amazing stuff can be done on 'track biased' road tyres. Some of the very fastest guys at the track I ride just use Racetecs.

O.B

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You don't need slicks.

I am riding with Metzeler Racetec K2's, and regularly get past guys on litre bikes who are using slicks and warmers.

Amazing stuff can be done on 'track biased' road tyres. Some of the very fastest guys at the track I ride just use Racetecs.

O.B
I was thinking the same thing, and cheaper since the track biased road tires last many more heat cycles and don't wear out as quick

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
To put this in perspective - I'm an okay rider but no hero. I ride at the top of the intermediate/fast group at the track, and when I get the bugs out of my new track bike, should be able to graduate to the fast group.

There are some guys at the track who do track days and also race. They are on a different level to me - I have had them slice in underneath my line at the track and leave me behind like I'm standing still ... and I'm on a faster bike. Their corner speed is staggering - big respect.

I always used to see them with their warmers on the bikes in the pits, and take some small consolation in assuming that there were slicks under those warmers. So not only did these guys have big skills, but the advantage of slicks, too.

Got talking with them late last year ... nope, no slicks. They're running Racetec K2's, same as me!

Even bigger respect - and testament to what these tyres are capable of.

O.B

·
Registered
38 Posts
There's no need for slicks at a track day unless you're a racer setting up your bike for an upcoming event or absurdly talented and need every bit of traction and control you can get. Don't get sucked into keepin' up with the Joneses, proven DOTs are fine. Plus some slicks have bizarre carcass constructions and diameters, which means unless you adjust your chassis to suit you won't gain much in terms of handling.

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
There's no need for slicks at a track day unless you're a racer setting up your bike for an upcoming event or absurdly talented and need every bit of traction and control you can get. Don't get sucked into keepin' up with the Joneses, proven DOTs are fine. Plus some slicks have bizarre carcass constructions and diameters, which means unless you adjust your chassis to suit you won't gain much in terms of handling.
+1...You should also read my detailed review about the Dunlop Q2s. Those are street tires and I run a mid-advanced pace as well. Long story short, I was about a second slower on those than when I use DOT race tires. And Jason Pridmore runs the Q2s at the track (Cand churns out some ridiculous times. I actually had the opportunity to watch him at a pretty difficult corner on a track over the weekend (at Chuckwalla) where everyone seems to run off (Turn 7) and he was doing it flawlessly and no sign of the tires letting up whatsoever.

If you want to read my detailed review about the tires, do a search for "Dunlop Q2s" with my username as thread started by user

·
Registered
36 Posts
I run the Dunlop Q2's as well. I have had my Street Triple R since July and had the stock Qualifiers on at my first track event with no issues at all. I wore those out and have since put on new Q2's. I am by no means a very fast rider probably just a touch faster than the novice groups. A fair number of guys I run with though use the Q2's and rave about them. I have also found that the Q2 seem to have pretty good feedback from the road. "Sport" tires should offer you plenty of grip for your needs. Especially if your bike does double duty of street and track like mine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts