Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the point of an adjustable suspension, when you can adjust everything except for preload? How are you suppose to achieve the proper sag measurement when you can't mess with preload??

Triumph recommends that you don't mess with preload on the STR, somehow that makes absolutely no sense to me. I have searched this topic on the forums, and whenever it is brought up, the thread is closed or merged with another.

·
Registered
351 Posts
It's not adjustable because they don't give you a tool! Just adjust as all books/articles tell you how to set sag. I can Guarantee that the manufacturer of the shock disagrees with Triumph's manual

·
Registered
618 Posts
(as Ian said) adjust the sag with the nuts on the shock.. use a screwdriver or whatever you have. This will set your STATIC SAG . If your a well set lad ,get a new spring. Im sure if you use the search function you will find many threads relating to this exact question.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
(as Ian said) adjust the sag with the nuts on the shock.. use a screwdriver or whatever you have. This will set your STATIC SAG . If your a well set lad ,get a new spring. Im sure if you use the search function you will find many threads relating to this exact question.
I'm just the opposite at 145lbs geared up, so I will most likely need to back off the preload a lot instead of max it out.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I'm just the opposite at 145lbs geared up, so I will most likely need to back off the preload a lot instead of max it out.
Mate, if you can't get the sag to within limits you will have to find a lighter spring.. the R has a heavy spring as standard.. most light guys find it tops out quite easily.. this could be your problem.. best to see a suspension guy.. it will improve you bike no end.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mate, if you can't get the sag to within limits you will have to find a lighter spring.. the R has a heavy spring as standard.. most light guys find it tops out quite easily.. this could be your problem.. best to see a suspension guy.. it will improve you bike no end.
If the rear shock spring has to be swapped, wouldn't the front fork springs have to be swapped as well?

·
Registered
618 Posts
If the rear shock spring has to be swapped, wouldn't the front fork springs have to be swapped as well?
You need to check them too , by winding out the front preload you should get the front sag about right.. have you seen this done before? with a zip tie? . Check out some suspension websites, there is so much great easy to understand information out there.. god bless the interweb:notworthy:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You need to check them too , by winding out the front preload you should get the front sag about right.. have you seen this done before? with a zip tie? . Check out some suspension websites, there is so much great easy to understand information out there.. god bless the interweb:notworthy:
Yeah I mean I've seen that done before, I know both the rear shock and forks have to be dialed into the appropriate sag. A lot of bikes have different spring rates front/rear which complicates things even further. I'm hoping that for my weight, I'll be able to get the correct sag front and rear with preload adjustments. If not I'll be looking at a new rear shock and new fork springs :(

·
Registered
618 Posts
Yeah I mean I've seen that done before, I know both the rear shock and forks have to be dialed into the appropriate sag. A lot of bikes have different spring rates front/rear which complicates things even further. I'm hoping that for my weight, I'll be able to get the correct sag front and rear with preload adjustments. If not I'll be looking at a new rear shock and new fork springs :(
(rear spring) and fork springs..yes. Get it all dialled in first.. you maybe ok! :thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts