Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Street Triple 675, 2009 Street Triple 675R
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and gals, just wanted to ask the brains trust what they think about the following with my starter motor. Had some rattles and squeals coming from inside the alternator cover last time the bike was running. I now have the cover off and wonder if these two things with the starter motor are normal or not. 1. Holding the shaft and pulling out and or pushing in there is a small amount movement, I would think it shouldn't move, and 2. turning the shaft I'm getting a squeaking noise coming from the shaft, or I should say probably from the internal bearings in the starter motor itself, feels on the dry side, hence the squeak. It should turn smoothly I think with no noise whatsoever. Time for a new one?? I have video showing movement and recording the noises I am getting but can't post those here by the looks. Might try imbedding some video via Youtube..... at a later date.

·
Registered
253 Posts
It's been about two years since I've messed with a starter on a Daytona so going from my rapidly fading memory but I'm thinking starter motor cog having a little play is normal.

Meeting some resistance and squealing a little is not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's been about two years since I've messed with a starter on a Daytona so going from my rapidly fading memory but I'm thinking starter motor cog having a little play is normal.

Meeting some resistance and squealing a little is not.
That's pretty much what I was thinking. Looks like I'll be getting a new starter..... thing is where from? A genuine Triumph OEM one is like $850 (AUD) plus postage ex USA or Italy.... or one out of China for about $150 with free postage. Anyone got recommendations?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would recommend 'not China'. It might be worth it, to see if it can be rebuilt. You can get starters for cars and Harley's done, why not triumphs?
Yeah I agree about the your recommendation.... Rebuilding is not something anyone does anymore here in Australia.... always cheaper to get something new it seems. My workshop manual says "Note: No replacement parts are available from Triumph for the starter motor." Still it can be pulled apart, as it can, someone may well sell seals and the bearing that will fit.

·
Registered
253 Posts
If it were me I'd buy an OEM used one like this:

I'd check the internet for a salvage place. In the U.S. they have a shared database so they can check if anyone in the system has what you need. Starters tend to last the life of the bike so I wouldn't hesitate to use a used one.

There's also a place called Rick's that sells aftermarket stators and starters in the U.S. I've purchased two of his stators and they worked out fine. They may be made in China I don't know but then the one in the Striple may be as well. It's unlikely to have been made in the UK since 99% of Triumphs are now made in Thailand and parts sourced from everywhere.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I have a couple of them laying around. I'll post pics later today.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Black Material property Fluid Gas Font

I just checked and on both starters the gear can be pulled out a tiny bit (around 0.5mm if I had to guess). No squeaks though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts