Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last riding season I owned a beautiful fusion white Street Triple, and overall it has been one of my most favorite motorcycles ever owned. It did everything well, was confidence inspiring, ect. I am a lightweight rider of about 135-140 lbs, and so the suspension seemed to work on good pavement. I started to notice the limits once I started hitting some city streets and riding more aggressive.

Even though the suspension felt like it had limits, I rode the bike well - and most of all....I could get away with a lot more than I feel like I would have been able to on a more unforgiving bike.

After riding many crotch rockets in the past with rock hard suspensions and insanely touchy brakes, I def. did not enjoy the edgy feeling. In short, those bikes are just not forgiving to me. I can do what I needed to do on the ST without having to worry about the front end washing out on me under hard braking.

Well, I ended up selling that ST for financial issues - but now I'm back on my feet again and have the funds for another bike. I enjoyed the street triple so much that I def. want another one....but now I am thinking about getting the R version.

My question is, would the R version feel too edgy for me to ride confidently? I'm afraid that the brakes are going to be super touchy, and the suspension will feel way to stiff for someone 140lbs. Has anyone gone from the standard to the R version and had these issues?

Thanks, and I can't wait to join the community again!

·
Registered
471 Posts
You should be fine- the brakes are not a problem they have a bit more power but are really easy to modulate-there is no grabbiness and within the first ride you will learn their response.
"r" suspension is adjustable and so you should be able to set it up to suit you-it feels no harder.
Unless you found the seat nearly too high on the Striple the slight increase in seat height on the "r" will not prove a problem.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hey Karl,
FWIW, I weigh 145, and I came to an STR from a bike famous for its crappy suspension.
Don't overthink it based on your weight. Even if it feels odd to you at first, you'll get used to whatever bike you choose. Good luck in your decision. :icon_smile:

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have an ST-R and I haven't ridden the standard version so I can't compare the two, but I don't find the braking touchy at all.. like JCP says they don't bite in unless you want them to.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I bought a stardard Jet Black Street Triple and passed on the R version. For me at 5'10" and 175, the standard was fine and I have no regrets.

Just test ride the R and compare.

BTW, check and make sure your new bike has the new MOSFET RR uint installed. If not - have them get it replaced before you buy it.

The old RR is located behind the rear shock facing the engine and the new unit has the mounting reversed facing the rear wheel.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for the responses....I'll definitely end up test riding one to compare. I'd end up upgrading the rear shock anyway most likely on the standard, so if I can save myself some trouble with the R I'll go for it. It doesn't sound like the difference will throw me off that much.

·
Registered
832 Posts
At 135-140 lbs, you are definitely not hitting the limits of the suspension. Even the standard ST rear shock spring is oversprung.

I have a standard ST, installed a STR rear shock, and will be installing a new spring and suspension correction plates this weekend

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At 135-140 lbs, you are definitely not hitting the limits of the suspension. Even the standard ST rear shock spring is oversprung.

I have a standard ST, installed a STR rear shock, and will be installing a new spring and suspension correction plates this weekend
Did you prefer the standard suspension over the STR? Are you saying that the STR suspension would be far too stiff for someone my weight?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Did you prefer the standard suspension over the STR? Are you saying that the STR suspension would be far too stiff for someone my weight?
I hover around 165-170 lbs without gear. The standard shock was over sprung and the STR shock is WAY over sprung for my weight. So yes, the STR shock, in stock form, would most likely be far too stiff for you as well.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I had the standard and it was ok for the riding that I was doing but I must say that now that I have the "R" I am extremely happy with being able to set the suspension to my riding style, you'll get quite a lot for the extra out-lay, adjustable suspension front and rear, better quality breaks on the front, "FAT" bars.
If your worrying about your weight, adjustable suspension is probably where you want to go.
Quite a lot of "ST" owners end up up grading the rear suspension first and then find themselves compelled to do the front.

Good luck with your decision and don't forget to "MOD" it

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hover around 165-170 lbs without gear. The standard shock was over sprung and the STR shock is WAY over sprung for my weight. So yes, the STR shock, in stock form, would most likely be far too stiff for you as well.
Thanks, thats what I guess I needed to hear....

I had heard the STR could be adjusted, and many people say that even for a 140lb rider it could be adjusted down softer. Sounds like thats not really possible now I guess.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Thanks, thats what I guess I needed to hear....

I had heard the STR could be adjusted, and many people say that even for a 140lb rider it could be adjusted down softer. Sounds like thats not really possible now I guess.
It can be adjusted. Either way you go, the recommendation for your weight would be to start with a new spring.

·
Super Moderator
11,899 Posts
I find it hard to believe that the stock shock is too strong for your weight. I have 10 lbs on you and I didn't have to adjust the suspension at all to achieve proper sag. So the spring is perfect for me. There's more then enough adjustment in the shock to suit you as well.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Forget stiff, you can adjust that. Way more value for the $ in the R. But if you don't need it, then don't spend more. Easy choice.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I find it hard to believe that the stock shock is too strong for your weight. I have 10 lbs on you and I didn't have to adjust the suspension at all to achieve proper sag. So the spring is perfect for me. There's more then enough adjustment in the shock to suit you as well.
It may be perfect for you, but it's not perfect for me, and I definitely don't think it's perfect for someone that is 30-40 lbs lighter than us. The STR spring isn't too strong that it's completely out of the adjustment range, but it still isn't ideal. I reached out to our friends at Race Tech and they agreed so I ordered a new spring. Also tried swapping out the original silver ST spring into the STR shock and learned that it isn't the best solution either. Street Triple Shock Spring Swap. A new spring didn't break the bank and I'm confident it will be a nice improvement as soon as I get everything dialed in.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi there, excuse my ignorance but what is a MOSFET RR and why is it important that it has the new one? I've bought a 2010R in late December which I assume is later model as it has M8 threads in the swinging arm for the bobbins/sliders. Would this have the MOSFET RR?

·
Super Moderator
11,899 Posts
Really its not important that is Mosfet. It's just the current popular item. Even the shunt style r/r can be very good its just that Triumph chose to go with a cheap POS shunt r/r on the original 675s. However they have now switched to a industry standard design unit which currently happens to be a Mosfet style.

All that said the only way to be sure your bike has the newer better unit is visually. You coykd post a shit of it and I or others can verify for you what you have.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts