Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
I don't see the point. Why use stainless steel to manufacture a part you will discard within a couple of months (if you ride often)?

I am a believer in changing oil and filters often, rather than spending big and changing it less frequently.

·
Noob Hazer
12,385 Posts
From some quick research a lot of people say they are not as good because the paper ones trap the smaller pieces of dirt and what not, but then many people like them.

Here is what one guy says

"It's not so much that the dirt gets trapped in there, it's more the fact that it can't filter the smaller particles a papery type can. The micron rating on a paper type filter will be much higher than a stainless, because there is a limit to the size of the holes that can be drilled or punched into the mesh sides of the stainless filter.

I am not so sure about this, for example RO filters I have are a stainless membrane, and I am not talking the cheep one they sell at home depot,

I am talking on a molecular level smaller then anything I am worried about in my motor! sub micron!"

·
Noob Hazer
12,385 Posts
I usually stick with OEM just because if something blows in the engine it wont give them a reason to try and blame it on me, but that is just because my buddy got shafted with his Kawi from a local loser dealer.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I always use Fram oil filters...never gone wrong on my bikes.
Fram, not that they actually make filters, has a pretty shitty rep from a lot of different sources. Their Tough Guard seems to get sort of OK rating but the rest of the line is sort of iffy at best.

The disclaimer probably should be that most of us change filters and more importantly bikes so damn often that oil/filter related failures are REALLY rare.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts