Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellas, has anyone used tune ecu to correct the speedo reading due to gearing changes? i connected sucessfully to the ecu but could i hell find the right tab or area to enable me to alter the settings ? can anyone help please?:notworthy:

·
Registered
141 Posts
^^ what he said.

I originally thought you couldnt change that option on the stock map at all, just need to download it though

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm confused*. Why does changing the gearing change the speedo?

The difference in changing the gearing means that for a given speed the engine will operate faster or slower depending on which way you altered the final drive ratio.

If the wheel size remains the same, how does this effect the speedo? Is the tacho tied into the speed calc? Maybe the TPS is? Seems odd though.....

* This happens frequently and easily!

·
Super Moderator
11,897 Posts
The speedometer pickup is at the countershaft sprocket on on the motor so if for example theoretically the gearing is 3:1 (3 rotations of the countershaft sprocket to 1 of the rear wheel) and then you change either gear now it's not the same ratio say it's now 4:1 now your speedo is going to read 1/3 faster because the countershaft is rotating 1/3 more times for every rotation of the rear wheel.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ahhh, cheers MacBandit, that makes sense to me now. By the way, you play Playstation too much :bowdown::rofl:

UKMarine - Out of interest which way did you change the gearing, taller or shorter?

·
Registered
712 Posts
if you dont want to do that, and want to keep it all right you can buy a speed-o-healer and it corrects the speed and milage. thats what i did cause im just not smart enough to pull all the tune ecu stuff. either that or dont know enough about the system. but my way does cost about 80 dollars more than just the cable for the tune.

·
Registered
141 Posts
if you dont want to do that, and want to keep it all right you can buy a speed-o-healer and it corrects the speed and milage. thats what i did cause im just not smart enough to pull all the tune ecu stuff. either that or dont know enough about the system. but my way does cost about 80 dollars more than just the cable for the tune.
Speedo healers only calibrate the speedo, which as we have said will actually render the odometer innacurate, as bikes leave the factory with correct odo but over reading speedos

·
Registered
279 Posts
TuneECU will do the same as a SpeedoHealer, thus making it not needed on these bikes.

If you change the gearing, you can use TuneECU to adjust the speedometer back to factory. You're odometer will be accurate that way, but your speedometer will still read high as the bikes come this way from the factory. You can't have an accurate speedometer and odometer, you have to choose one or the other.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts