Triumph 675 Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Just remember this if you think you have gotten away. If they did catch your plate, they may come knocking at your door with a warrant. Your cell phone may give you away. Have an acquaintance that outran a bunch of police in Tampa. Ditched his bike at the airport and made it home. They came knocking at his door and used his cell phone gps tracks to crucify him in court. He lost his license and spent many thousands (want to say over $10,000) in legal fees. It just doesn't pay in the end. Oh, he also outran the sheriff's helicopter! Yes, he was moving and got a really hard judge.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Noob Hazer
12,385 Posts
Yep my company has a group that all they do is help with the tracking of a cell phone. I will tell you, even with your GPS turned off, we can find a pretty close location of where you are or have been.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Yep my company has a group that all they do is help with the tracking of a cell phone. I will tell you, even with your GPS turned off, we can find a pretty close location of where you are or have been.
How far back can they track you?

·
Noob Hazer
12,385 Posts
How far back can they track you?
You know I am not sure. At least a few weeks most likely

Not all carriers track through GPS though, smaller companies like Cricket track based off cell towers, where the big carriers aka the companies I take care of right now use GPS and cell towers.

A lot of people get scared about that, but the only way we can "legally" release this information is to of course law officials or government like FBI, etc. Now if companies are using that information for say advertising or something like that I personally have no clue.

I do have to say I was not surprised when the NSA stuff came out lol I already knew haha

·
Registered
813 Posts
I'm not worried, I'm as square as they come. Haha

I just never realized that info like that is stored, although I'm not surprised either.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
It's not worth running. Just pull over and take the damn ticket. I've had a cop go past me when I was doing 100+ slowed down to see if he'd turn around and didn't see him turn around. Couple miles down the road he caught up lol. I deserved that one though. Anyway needless to say the tickets that loss me off are when I get pulled over because I'm a little over the limit on a sports bike.

oh squiggly line how I doth love how you make my tripple howl

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
yeah I am the same, they can follow me all the want back and forth to work... and the strip club.
I too was wondering how long that kind of data is stored. Can they look back a month and see where my phone was?

And they shouldn't need a reason NOT to track you, but should need a solid reason TO track you.

You might not be doing anything wrong, but what you're doing is nobody else's business. Its an invasion of privacy.

·
Noob Hazer
12,385 Posts
I too was wondering how long that kind of data is stored. Can they look back a month and see where my phone was?

And they shouldn't need a reason NOT to track you, but should need a solid reason TO track you.

You might not be doing anything wrong, but what you're doing is nobody else's business. Its an invasion of privacy.
I agree, but a company could also say you are using THEIR network, so if you don't like it don't use it type of deal.

I am not for either side. I could careless really, but in the end this tracking method has saved many lives. Just when I was down in NM working on taking over a smaller company in the communications industry, they helped find 3 missing kids that had been kidnapped by an assortment of crazy boyfriends, etc. That was even without using GPS, just going off cell towers. While I had nothing to do with helping them, I found it pretty damn cool. Again I do not specialize in anything wireless, I am sure I could figure it all out pretty quickly, but I will stick to fiber optics and the big boy routers.

Either way; it is up to you, if you don't like it, do something about it.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I agree, but a company could also say you are using THEIR network, so if you don't like it don't use it type of deal.

I am not for either side. I could careless really, but in the end this tracking method has saved many lives. Just when I was down in NM working on taking over a smaller company in the communications industry, they helped find 3 missing kids that had been kidnapped by an assortment of crazy boyfriends, etc. That was even without using GPS, just going off cell towers. While I had nothing to do with helping them, I found it pretty damn cool. Again I do not specialize in anything wireless, I am sure I could figure it all out pretty quickly, but I will stick to fiber optics and the big boy routers.

Either way; it is up to you, if you don't like it, do something about it.
All valid stuff. And of course there are benefits, thats awesome that they found kidnapped kids, I wouldn't want to lose that. Good luck defining the parameters for when cell tracking can and can't be used.

Like you said, the bottom line is probably if you don't like the way they have their stuff set up .. don't use it.

·
Noob Hazer
12,385 Posts
Yeah, it sucks when something can do good, but is used for greed or like the government, ""to protect from terrorism"", but who am I to complain, without me they would not get to far since I keep up the core of the network hahaha

MY B!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Invasion of privacy? I don't expect any privacy regarding anything that involves cell or internet technology. If the government isn't looking at it, I assume marketers are. I haven't read all of the small print, but I suspect that the 20 something page long contract I signed when signing up for my cell service contains some legalize saying that any information, other than maybe my data, is the property of the cell carrier. Perhaps I am wrong, but I wouldn't be one bit surprised.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Invasion of privacy? I don't expect any privacy regarding anything that involves cell or internet technology. If the government isn't looking at it, I assume marketers are. I haven't read all of the small print, but I suspect that the 20 something page long contract I signed when signing up for my cell service contains some legalize saying that any information, other than maybe my data, is the property of the cell carrier. Perhaps I am wrong, but I wouldn't be one bit surprised.

Maybe not expecting it is part of the issue. Again, its their network, and if its in the contract then REALLY shame on me haha, but I'd rather not have the whereabouts of my phone (as only one example) mined and shared and potentially used against me at some point.

Right or not right is a moral discussion that hijacks the thread even more .. just feels like another few feet down the slippery slope

·
Registered
199 Posts
We could start another thread about privacy. The worst is mainstream social media, ie Facebook. Absolutely nothing is private there. What some don't realize is that exif data on digital photos give away info. It's just one more data point that can place you at a certain location on a specific date and time. That is if the pics were taken on a cell phone or a camera that has GPS. Yes, not expecting privacy does suck, but there is damn near nothing that I can do about it, but be careful. That or go off the grid, but I like creature comforts too much to go off the grid.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts