Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am trying to diagnose an engine noise and issue in my 2007 Daytona with 70k-ish kays on it. It was making a noise under 4k rpm that would go away above those revs. It certainly sounded like something catastrophic was happening. It was happening in line with engine revs. It felt there was some resistance/drag on the engine at low-med revs when making the noise but that the engine performance was otherwise unaffected.

My thought was water pump impeller broke and it was flung out of the way at high revs, and fell into the way at lower revs. I removed clutch and water/oil pump (both in good condition) and the engine still makes the noise, hence it is not the pump or gearbox/drive system. The engine spins freely enough on the starter, but makes this noise.

It feels like something is currently constantly fouling a moving component. I have a few thoughts - cam chain tensioner, something else valve-train related; starter not disengaging and/or damaged. I'd prefer to narrow it down if I can, before I dig any further in.

Any help is appreciated :)

Here is a video of the noise:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats great news that you've found the problem! Have you replaced the cam chain yet with that miledge?
Thanks SKmotomn, no, I don't believe the timing chain has ever been replaced. I had all the usual servicing done, it does make me wonder whether the chain tension was checked.

The news got worse, unfortunately. Here's a photo I took with a borescope through the spark plug hole. This is the piston crown - all three pistons looked like this. One or both of the cams must have skipped some cogs on the cam chain, leading to the valves contacting the pistons.

That would explain the noise that kicked in louder as I shut it off, I'd say this happened in its final moments.

Long story short, I now need to join the S1000RR forum. I think I'll park this up and consider a rebuild project in the future.

Automotive lighting Liquid Automotive tire Astronomical object Gas

Automotive lighting Liquid Automotive tire Astronomical object Gas

1 - 4 of 4 Posts