Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.

My apologies if this only has a de facto relationship with the D675.

I'm prepping an SV650 track bike. I am up against a wall on budget, and all I have is 2X lines to build my front brake system - one to run from the master cylinder to the right caliper, and one to run - via a double banjo bolt - from the right hand caliper to the left.

Seem like a plan?

I just spoke to a parts guy who tells me that this is a far inferior method, and that I should run 2X lines of near equal length, both starting at the master cylinder, each running to one caliper only.

Well, my D675, which has some of the best brakes I've used, runs its lines via the FIRST of the above two methods.

What's the truth here?

O.B

·
Super Moderator
11,896 Posts
There is zero performance benefit in a hydraulic system such as this to running two separate lines. The only benefit and the reason that the pro racers first switched over was for safety. If something get's tangled up in the front wheel and rips the front fender off it'll take the brake line with it. This was a rule requirement at the world racing level that first started the dual line setup.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is zero performance benefit in a hydraulic system such as this to running two separate lines. The only benefit and the reason that the pro racers first switched over was for safety. If something get's tangled up in the front wheel and rips the front fender off it'll take the brake line with it. This was a rule requirement at the world racing level that first started the dual line setup.
Thanks for confirming that, Mac.

I have to say that it just didn't ring true to me at all...and sounded like a sales pitch by a guy who wanted to sell me a pair of braided lines.

Good to see my Spider Sense is still working okay.

O.B

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
MacBandit is 100% correct. There has been loads of BS said in the past about which is best. I even heard one guy claim that if one brake line split you'd still have the other brake!!!!!!!!!!
I think it was over here in the UK that a racer had his fender ripped off and it took the brake lines with it. That could even be a rumour as the brake lines are stonger than fenders I would have thought.
However over here for racing you have to have the two lines from the master cylinder and not one down and one looped over the fender.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Some say that it improves feel but I've I didn't notice a difference when I installed the dual lines on (ironically) an SV race bike

+1
No real performance difference.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Some say that it improves feel but I've I didn't notice a difference when I installed the dual lines on (ironically) an SV race bike

+1
No real performance difference.
If anything feel would be improved with a single line down, then another across. The shorter the line length the less room for 'swelling'... Not really an issue with modern braided lines.

·
Registered
350 Posts
If anything feel would be improved with a single line down, then another across. The shorter the line length the less room for 'swelling'... Not really an issue with modern braided lines.
Wouldn't it apply brake pressure to one side prior to the other?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Wouldn't it apply brake pressure to one side prior to the other?
No.
The pressure wil equalize WELL before the pistons start moving...in effect, the pressure wil be equal thought thr whole system at all times. That's how hydraulics work

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No.
The pressure wil equalize WELL before the pistons start moving...in effect, the pressure wil be equal thought thr whole system at all times. That's how hydraulics work
Pree-cisely. It was this thinking that got me doubting the parts guy in the first place. I now have the lines fitted, and I have to say it feels pretty good to me!

I'll let you know how it goes at the track next week ...

O.B

1 - 9 of 9 Posts