Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my best friend and I rode our bikes out to Cross Country BMW/Ducati and SportHonda dealerships in Metuchen, NJ (enjoying real warm weather for the first time this year) and we of course found ourselves in the BMW showroom drooling over the S1000RR. A very nice saleswoman asked us if we wanted to take a test ride, so...well...who the hell wouldn't? My friend went first, and after seeing the grin on his face I immediately submitted my driver's license so they could copy it and signed my life away, and I was off. All I have to say is that I experienced something spiritual on that Beemer today, like God himself made that motorcycle and blessed us mere mortals on Earth with a taste of what can only be described as heavenly.

I would be lying if I didn't admit I was tempted to trade my bike in right there on the spot for one...damn practicality to hell.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
U been on a 848 1098 or 1198?
I have only sat on them not actually ridden, but I plan to. I was very impressed with the Beemer's ergos and streetability; it is thoroughly comfy by sportbike standards. The Ducs are very hard in the ergos department, but they are hands down the beauty queens, honestly my favorite looking bikes.

·
Registered
577 Posts
U been on a 848 1098 or 1198?
I own a 1198 and have also ridden a 848 but I still drool over that BMW. There are some days that I question whether I made the right choice?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The demo S1000RR that I rode also had the Akrapovic slip-on, and of course all the goodies (traction control, ABS, shift assist). I started off with the bike in rain mode, it felt very 600cc like in its power delivery, very familiar and friendly. Basically rain mode provides the most correction from the traction control system at the slightest sign of trouble and limits overall engine power to about 100 hp if I remember correctly. After about 5 minutes I realized that I didn't take it out to try it in rain mode, so I switched to full race mode and got on the local interstate (route 287). Taking the on ramp in second gear, I rolled on the throttle and felt the smoothest yet most powerful throttle response that I've ever experienced. Putting the shift assist to the test, I rolled hard on the throttle as I just tapped on the gear selecter without ever touching the clutch lever or rolling off the throttle, and it EFFORTlessly upshifted without blinking. I was really blown away at how little action was needed by my left foot for upshifts, lever travel is very short. It's almost silly how easy it is to ride this bike, but at the same time it doesn't take away from the riding experience, it actually enchances it. Seriously at 8K and up this thing is a missle and just keeps pulling hard all the way up. Slipper clutch feels great and does what it's supposed to do, and the brakes are top notch with ABS feeling un-obtrusive, and if you don't like it you can just turn it off, and same with the traction control.

If all that isn't enough for a selling point, when I asked about insurance prices (clearly expecting something in the range of most literbikes) the numbers she was giving us were less than what my friend pays for full coverage on his CBR 600RR and only $150 more a year than what I pay for my STR!!!!!!! The only way I can rationalize it is that the insurance companies must view the ABS and traction control as safety additions, thereby contributing to lower insurance premiums. Also when I talked to the saleswoman, she told me that out of the 80 S1000RR's they sold last year (they are the 3rd largest BMW dealership in the USA, and #1 in S1000RR sales) only one bike has come back crashed, so the benefits of the ABS and traction control must have real world value in keeping riders safer.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I would love to ride this. I hear such great things about the S1000RR. I had a customer ask me if I wanted to ride it but I don't like riding other peoples' bikes unless it is a dealer I work for or something. I read so many reviews about how this bike is revolutionary in so many ways. I knew one guy that owned it for a few months and at first he said it was the fastest, baddest, best bike he had ever ridden but then appealled his original intent with this bike is too fast. I want one someday. It seems like a no brainer. Would I sell my 2007 Triumph 675 "Black Shark" for one? Nope but not to say I wouldn't have more fun on the Beemer after all the good times on the 675. I love my Daytona but that Beemer has eyes that stare long and hard at me. Next thing you know Triumph will introduce a new Daytona 1375 Triple and whoop everyones' ass again.

·
Registered
437 Posts
according to many reviewers the zx10r will be the bike that can at the least hold it's own against the BMW. might wanna check that out and while you are remember that the Kawi is going to be far easier to get parts and far cheaper. should be about the same on insurance with all of the goodies as well...

·
Registered
993 Posts
Yes the ZX10 is going to make a shuffle for sure. This is the way it always is. The Japanese will copy what the Beemer does and improve on it. The ZX10 is going to be awesome but I like the looks of the BMW. I love Japanese bikes but the only problem for me with BMW is dealer support in my area. I just bought a new seat for my Daytona so as far as the BMW goes I can only dream because I can't afford another bike right now & I am still in love with the Daytona 675. Triumph is just a great company period IMHO. To be honest if I had extra cash I would pick up one of the new Tiger 800 bikes.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I've ridden both the 848 and S1000RR, as well as Blades and many other sportbikes. I can honestly say the BMW is by far and a way the best of the lot, without exception. It fills you with so much confidence right from the off - it's staggering. Aside from aesthetics, and of course cost, I can't honestly see why you would choose another sport bike...

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I purchased one last year, expecting to keep my 675, because I never thought the 1000, would handle as well as a 600cc class bike. Long story short, my 675 was up for sale 3 days later.

The too fast things doesn't make sense to me, if that was the case, why not just put in it rain mode, or better yet shift earlier so you don't tap into the power?

The bike is fast, I admit, I just ride it around like a little 600 and when I need it to be (like when I had to pass some jokers on 1198's), I just gave her that gas, she lofted her pretty little front wheel off the ground and good by Ducks!

The OP hit the nail on the head with the bikes, I like to think of it as a Gentleman's Sportbike. Because that's what it feels like.

It was nice being after being away so long, I used to spend 2 hours a day here back in 06-08.

All the best,

Michael

·
Registered
78 Posts
The reviews I've read in the UK all seem to suggest the Kawasaki falls short and that the S1000RR is still the best litre sports bike.

I still want one, but I also want a new RC8R. If I do move up to a litre bike, my head says BMW, my heart says KTM. I know the BMW would kick the ass of the KTM, but I just really like the RC8R, its got something special about it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I rode one down at foothills bmw and couldn't believe how small it felt....then I test rode the 675 and I was sold!

Military members get a free $1500 package if you buy the s1000rr

·
Registered
999 Posts
The reviews I've read in the UK all seem to suggest the Kawasaki falls short and that the S1000RR is still the best litre sports bike.

I still want one, but I also want a new RC8R. If I do move up to a litre bike, my head says BMW, my heart says KTM. I know the BMW would kick the ass of the KTM, but I just really like the RC8R, its got something special about it.
My friend from race tech told me it handles like a 125!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts