Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure how many of us Daytona owners have run into this issue. The snorkel tube seems to be one of those thing that supports the weight of the nose. I could go on and rant but I just want to know whether others have the same issue, and how severe this issue is.

I've sustained some severe damage from hitting a big POTHOLE :cuss:. If you didn't know if any better, you'd think I'd jumped a curb and did all the damage (to include 2 damaged rims and broken snorkel mount to the frame).

I can't help to think on how to prevent this from happening again.:notamused:

Please share your experiences and comment.

·
MacGyver / BOTM / BOTY Winner
1,253 Posts
Ames, I seem to recall a recall (sorry :duh:) of the bolts that secure the air intake snorkel to the frame way back in late '06. I believe the specific issue was loosening - and the fix may have been simple replacement with threadlock impregnated bolts.

This, of course, does nothing to prevent your issue from taking place. But I also remember a number of bikes coming into the shop with cracked snorkels around the attachment to the head tube. Design weakness? I'd say so. These were replaced under warranty but the replacemnt part was identical to the original.

Just thought I'd share a bit of historical info.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
It is definitely a weak point. Almost every Daytona I've looked at that has been wrecked and goes down, lowside, highside, whatever...the snorkel is broken. I think the problem is also not just that the snorkel itself is weak but the front fairing stay is attached to it as well. So yes, all the weight of the nose section and any impact it takes goes directly to the snorkel. Bad design yes, but I guess don't wreck the bike and you won't have any problems....:whistle:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine broke. Currently investigating options. I don't want to purchase the same one as I think it will break again. It also difficult to find options as my bike is a 06. Any other options other than the stock plastic piece? Does the motoholders frame stay come with aluminum intake snorkel for 06? It appears that the 13+ does just by looking at the drawings but not the 2006.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts