Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

New member here, been lurking for some time. I'm seriously considering getting a D675. I presently ride a Monster S2R 1000 (which I intend to keep), but would like to add a sportbike to my (small) stable.

I finally had an opportunity to ride a Daytona briefly this past weekend, and I loved it. It had an aftermarket pipe, which made a big difference in terms of sound and feel (I'm very addicted to the growl of a twin engine, and was missing that completely on the stock Daytona I'd ridden previously.)

My only remaining concern has to do with riding position. The aggressive posture doesn't bother me (I have clip-ons and rearsets on my Monster, and prior to that rode a Thruxton.) I just felt that on the D675, I was very much riding "on" the bike (in fact, almost "over" the bike), whereas on the 848s I've ridden (the other option I'm considering), I felt much more "in" the bike.

I realize this might just be something I'll get used to, but at this point, I have to say I much prefer "in" to "on", if that makes any sense. I'm wondering if any of you D675 riders have noticed this, and whether there are there any mods that would address it (lowering, different seat, raising forks, etc.?) Thanks in advance for any info!

Topangster

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
Hi all,

New member here, been lurking for some time. I'm seriously considering getting a D675. I presently ride a Monster S2R 1000 (which I intend to keep), but would like to add a sportbike to my (small) stable.

I finally had an opportunity to ride a Daytona briefly this past weekend, and I loved it. It had an aftermarket pipe, which made a big difference in terms of sound and feel (I'm very addicted to the growl of a twin engine, and was missing that completely on the stock Daytona I'd ridden previously.)

My only remaining concern has to do with riding position. The aggressive posture doesn't bother me (I have clip-ons and rearsets on my Monster, and prior to that rode a Thruxton.) I just felt that on the D675, I was very much riding "on" the bike (in fact, almost "over" the bike), whereas on the 848s I've ridden (the other option I'm considering), I felt much more "in" the bike.

I realize this might just be something I'll get used to, but at this point, I have to say I much prefer "in" to "on", if that makes any sense. I'm wondering if any of you D675 riders have noticed this, and whether there are there any mods that would address it (lowering, different seat, raising forks, etc.?) Thanks in advance for any info!

Topangster
Out of boredom one day I decided to shave the seat for my bike because I felt the bike felt too tall. The "on the bike" feeling didn't bother me too much. When I finished, I was happy with the results and now it totally feels like Im sitting cockpitted with the bike like on a Gixxer. Its now become my track seat.

I may go back to my gel seat for track.

So yes, getting a lower seat may help with what you're looking for.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hi all,

Topangster
There is a way around that and that is to purchase the low gel seat, it really makes a big difference...IMHO

·
Registered
256 Posts
weird, i feel the opposite- the Duc's (848/1198) I feel like I'm sitting on the bike... Monsters I feel like I'm riding a (edit) *BMX* bike, at least on the one 696 I sat on. Not that the 675 feels like a lounge chair or anything.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I'm 6'1". The D675 is ass-up, hands down, chin on the windshield (well, close, anyway). It's great for the track. After picking up the FZ1, the 'tona could never be my one & only. Love that motor though!

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
Can someone attempt to describe the difference between these "on" and "in" feelings for me? I don't have the most diverse background, and never really thought much of it.
Sit on a gixxer and then sit your 675. You should feel the difference. The Gixxer feeling is the "in" feeling or what I call "cockpit" feeling. The D675 you feel like you're sitting on top of it or what OP is reffering to as "on"

An extreme case would be to sit in a Lotus versus sitting in a truck.

·
Race Team Sponsor
282 Posts
When I first got my bike, the suspension was set up with the rear end high which made it feel like I was very much on top of the bike. Once I got the suspension professionally adjusted it felt much better. They decreased the sag on the front and increased the sag on the rear.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I rode a mates 1098 and it felt a lot different to the Daytona - it felt like my arse was going to drag on the ground!!

Yes the Tona has a high seat which launches your bum skyward but i felt much more comfortable on the Trumpy than on the Duc.
I find it lots easier to move around on the Daytona because it is so slim and i think that is why it makes such a great track bike.

Like anything though, you will get used to it. If i owned the 1098 i'm sure i would be able to adapt to it just like i adapted to the 675 after coming off a CBR250...

Just get one...all the reviews putting it above the 848 can't be wrong!!!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
OP, I came from an sv650. The 675 gave me that exact same feeling of sitting "on" the bike. That feeling got even worse when I went to the track. It wasn't until I changed springrates in the suspension did I feel I was no longer riding ontop (I'm really light). Now its more of a "with" thebike...but still not a "in" the bike. But I suspect that change really wouldn't help for a casual street rider.

You'll get used to it. I too shaved my seat and it helped with that feeling a little. 1 good thing from an "on" the bike feeling is it makes it easier to move around the bike. Or at least I think it does, it may just be psychological.

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
The "on top" sensation is the same with the Street Triple, and in fact has made it a little difficult for me to go balls-out on steeper down-hill stuff, especially twisties. I know it's in my head, and hopefully I'll get used to it eventually, but for me it's a bit non-confidence inspiring, lol.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
You'll find that most D675 riders are going to say they are on the bike vs in the bike. It just comes down to the geometry and ergos of it. That's just the way it is and it's that way for the way it's meant to be ridden... aggressive. I used to lean on my wrists real bad and it caused my hands to go numb shortly after starting any ride! I got some Stomp Grips and I make it a point to use my legs to keep my up vs applying pressure on my wrists.

Some of the other bikes I felt as though I was sitting in the bike was the '08 ZX10R, '08 R6 and the '06 GSXR600. If it wasn't for my Daytona, I'd be on a R6 right now!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think the 848 has a fairly aggressive riding position as well (by most people's accounts), so I'm not so sure it's the geometry, per se.

Maybe it's that the Daytona is shorter than the 848, so you're much closer to the nose when riding? The 848 feels like a longer reach to the bars, so you're sitting back more when riding. On the Daytona, it seemed like I was virtually over the fairing, which felt strange.

I move around a lot on my Monster, so maybe this is something I'd just get used to - I felt "on" the bike vs. "in" the bike on the new Monster I sat on, which I didn't much like, and the Streetfighter I rode (which I did like.) Or, I'll make the seat/suspension adjustments discussed here. I do think a Daytona is going to be in my bike house soon, either way...

Topangster

Btw, does anybody rent Daytona's in the L.A. area? I'd love to ride one for a full day and really get a feel for it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts