Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So upgrading from the stock str3 forks to the Daytona forks and getting the upgraded brakes. Bike is at the mechanics right now and apparently the brake lever is not compatible so need to purchase a new brake lever. Pretty sure I'm going to get the ASV shorty brake lever but have questions about what to do for the clutch (because of course my levers have to match). I've never had shorty levers and the mechanic at the shop recommended long on the clutch and short on the brake. I'm vaguely inclined to go shorty on both - these bikes have pretty easy clutch action so not overly concerned about grip... but really have little reference other than hearing other peoples take.
Anyone have any experience with shorty levers that can give me advice?

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I think that's a pretty typical combo if you are going to go with mixed lengths. I prefer them both to be long, just in case I want to use more than my first two fingers. I think it would look kinda goofy to have different length levers, but I could be wrong. I say go with one or the other based on your riding. Do you only use two fingers on the clutch? If so, go with shorty's all around. Pretty much everybody uses one or two fingers on the brake on a regular basis so that's not to worry about. Just figure out what works best for your style. :thumbup:

·
Banned
941 Posts
I think I can chime in here. My first two bikes I kept the stock/long levers, but I was using 4 fingers for the clutch and 2 fingers for the brake. I was thinking of getting mismatched ASV levers (long clutch/short brake), but my OCD kicked in and thought it would look weird in pics if they were mismatched. I ended up getting both shorties, and I kind of regret it. Brake is fine as I still only use two fingers, but I find myself repositioning my left hand when I pull in the clutch to use all 4 fingers on a shorty. This is especially annoying in traffic and wish I just got the long clutch.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I think I can chime in here. My first two bikes I kept the stock/long levers, but I was using 4 fingers for the clutch and 2 fingers for the brake. I was thinking of getting mismatched ASV levers (long clutch/short brake), but my OCD kicked in and thought it would look weird in pics if they were mismatched. I ended up getting both shorties, and I kind of regret it. Brake is fine as I still only use two fingers, but I find myself repositioning my left hand when I pull in the clutch to use all 4 fingers on a shorty. This is especially annoying in traffic and wish I just got the long clutch.
That's what I've always worried about. Maybe the answer would be the ones with the adjustable length?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Do a search on here, there are adjustable levers available that let you adjust the length of the lever by a few cm so you can have shorties, long ones or anywhere in between.

As a side issue why anyone needs to use 4 fingers on the clutch is beyond me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mix'd up

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm taken Daken's advice and don't want the awkward action with the clutch but am fairly certain shorty braking won't be an issue - though my OCD also has issues with different legths :| - but I'll see if I can live with it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you can wait for delivery have a look at this thread. May save you some cash either way you decide to go :)

eBay Levers

·
Registered
112 Posts
These are the ones I'm talking about, don't need to be the eBay cheapies, mainstream manufacturers do them too.

May help with your OCD. I must have it too as I wouldn't have different length levers!

·
Banned
941 Posts
As a side issue why anyone needs to use 4 fingers on the clutch is beyond me.
Personally I pull the clutch all the way in when I drop into 1st gear. Easier to do that when I have four fingers on it, especially when I need to hold it there because I know a stoplight is going to change to green soon.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have ran long clutch lever , short brake lever on all my bikes !! If I need to use more than 2 fingers on my front brakes something is wrong !!! And I like a long clutch lever for sitting in traffic , on the grid etc. etc.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I love having the shorty brake lever. Less chance I grab a handful and it is long enough to apply all the pressure I would ever need.

Due to the fact that I commute on my 675 I have a long clutch lever and can not see me going shorty in that regard unless it was a track only bike that I only needed to be concerned about downshifts with...

·
Registered
832 Posts
Short / Long should really be Shorter length / Standard length.

I have ASV 'Shorty' length levers, both brake and clutch, and I love them. I was hesitant to switch to both short levers, but I'm glad I did. Like many, I generally only use 2 fingers to brake, so getting a 'Shorty' length brake lever made sense. I think 'Shorty' is a deceiving description though. Because most folks use 2 fingers to brake, the assumption is that a 'Shorty' brake lever is only large enough for 2 fingers. Consequently, it's further assumed that a 'Shorty' clutch lever is only large enough for 2 fingers.

Actually, most folks can comfortably fit at least 3 fingers on a 'short' lever (and the "ball" end of the lever counts too as there's nothing that says that you can't use that part of the lever!). It's not like the lever is so tiny that it's possible to operate! My lazy ass pinky finger on my left hand doesn't really do much work anyway when pulling in the clutch lever, so I'm okay with it just hanging off the side, like during tea time. Think about it. You probably have a lazy ass pinky finger on your clutch hand too. :rofl:

Just thought I'd throw my 2 copper Lincolns in.... In the end, I think it's all personal choice. If you're thinking ASV levers, then you can't go wrong either way. :thumbup:

·
Registered
541 Posts
I can fit 3 fingers on a Pazzo shorty clutch lever, just fine.
I also had to drill for positioning on my rizoma bars though... so that could be why (they're further towards the end of the bar than standard.

·
Registered
509 Posts
i did shorty/shorty never had an issue, It probably wont be an issue like you think. I was surprised, now I just think whats the point of the extra length? My clutch is pretty quick I don't have to grab a full handful, that might play a roll in having no issues with shorty. traffic and such not an issue either, If I wanna grab with the whole hand the ring fingers is on the end of the lever and no pinky*sp? , but i cant say my pinky is the strongest finger anyways.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
arg - can't wait

>moto< - thanks for the tip on the ebay items. Unfortunately the bike is on blocks in the shop right now with the new forks/brakes on so I am in the position of needing levers right now. Wish I could wait or had sussed out earlier that I would need the new levers. Would have saved me a bill. Though the ASV levers are pretty flossy so not all bad...

·
Banned
941 Posts
Off Topic: Did you guys ever hear that if you go really fast on a straightaway on the track, the wind resistance could actually put pressure on your front brake and slow you down? I've heard some racers drill a large hole in their front brake lever.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts