Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2010 daytona 675 se while i was on leave from the afghanistan and was wondering if i get it sent to Germany and want to sell it there what would be the process? I was lookin on german websites for my same bike and it goes for 9000+euro which is 12,500 USD. I know there is VAT but how does that work and would that be included in the price of the bike to the new owner? Im not sure if the prices i saw included VAT or not. the site was mobile.de
I can get free shipping to Germany so thats not an issue. Doesnt it just make sense to maybe sell it while im in Germany and maybe get the 2011 675r?

What do you think?

thanks for any comments

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
I assume you're military since you speak of the sand box. It shouldn't be that hard at all if you want to sell to a private party. It should be just like it is here in the US. Unless there is a special reason motorcycles are taxed from a private selling party then you should have an easy transaction with whoever buys your bike.

When I was in Germany I bought a used car from the base lemon lot. I got a loan approval from my bank and gave them the seller's information and they transfered the money over to him. He gave me the registration and I did what I needed to for tags, insurance and stickers for the base. I don't remember doing anything for offbase. Granted this was a while back so I am not sure if things have changed since then.

Now as far as making sense to sell it. That depends on if you really want the '11 SE or not. Like the you said the military will ship your bike for you to Germany and they will do the same for you going wherever you are going after Germany. The great thing about shipping a motorcycle is that they don't consider it a vehicle and can include it into your House Hold Goods (Air Force term so not sure if it's different for other braches). So it really comes down to whether you want to keep your already broken in D675 or sell her and get the '11 SE? How much money have you put into your current 'tona? That could be a reason to not sell it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will have 2k worth of goodies into it. but i think i might want to step up to an 848 or somethin after the ridin season is over. My buddy got a 2011 s1000rr and is talkin smack already. lol
a few more questions
1. does the US spec bike need to be changed to meet German specs. I know if im riding(military)the bike it does not, but if i were to sell it to a local national?
2. like Bamboo said, if its a private transaction, does the buyer have to pay VAT when they go to register the bike? (as this would effect my selling price)
3. are there any Germans that can chime in on this?
4. does the bike have to be stock?

thanks again

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
There's a member importing a UK bike to Belgium 'round here, he might have some insights, too. I guess you'll just have some paperwork to fill, as long as the bike is not modded in sensitive areas.

I think you should keep it, though, and kick your buddy's ass in the corners. More expensive isn't faster, eh :coolgleamA:

·
Registered
464 Posts
I will have 2k worth of goodies into it. but i think i might want to step up to an 848 or somethin after the ridin season is over. My buddy got a 2011 s1000rr and is talkin smack already. lol
thanks again
Buy the bike that YOU want regardless of smack. An 848 isn't a step up, per se. Depends on your application, really.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Many US bikes are actually CA models, which have to undergo even stricter emissions testing than Euro III. If it's a true 49 state bike it'll still meet Euro III and it'll be OK to sell to a local. Switch the dash over to KPH and you're good to go. If it's anything like England you probably can't have a slip-on on the bike if it doesn't have a road legal stamp. No idea about VAT.

And no, I wouldn't sell it to get a 675R because the R price will be just as inflated as the SE. And I sure as hell wouldn't sell it for an 848; I've never met anyone who can ride one faster than a 675.

·
Registered
2 Posts
importing US spec bike to Germany

I live in Germany and have tried to do this. First of all you have to pay 6% import duty then add 19% vat , this is very straightforward to do, the difficult bit is getting it through the German Tuev, these guys put the vin # in their computer and if it is not euro spec (ie you have a US vin #)you will NOT get a Tuev! They don't even have to look at the bike! You can change as many headlights and exhausts as you like but if that vin# is not in their database you will not get it. This all started in 1999 when the EU started a homogulation practise. Bikes built before 1999 are much easier to get a tuev.Just get a headlight with an 'E' mark,an exhaust with an 'E' mark and a mph speedo and pass the emissions test.Tires have to be a matching pair too, correct size and speed rating.
It's easier to buy a US spec Triumph (or any other make)from montana motorcycles in rammelsbach , they import them from the states, all you have to is present them with a US Customs form which you can get while you wait from the US customs office on post. US military members are exempt from the Tuev.

·
Registered
437 Posts
pretty much every review i have read ranks the 848 below the Daytona. if you are going to spend the kind of coin for an 848 then you are better off stepping up to the liter bikes if you are going to try and keep up with the s1000rr in the straights. or you can keep the Daytona and beat him in the corners as has been said. corners are more fun, btw...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts