Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at Shenandoah WV this past weekend and I was having an issue with my boots scraping in the corner. I talk to a rider coach from TPM about it. He seem to think my body position was off. I was pretty certain that I was keeping decent form, but occasionally I would scrape a boot, especially when my knee puck would touch. I am still running stock sets and the track did have some negative camber corners. Just wondering if this is a body position issue or maybe new rearsets would help. Boots are pricey and I would like to sort it out before I wreck my boots...haha

Anyone run into this themselves? I am still pretty new to the track.

·
Noob Hazer
12,385 Posts
Pictures would help, also it may not be your body positioning but your foot positioning. Are your pegs dragging? If not then I would say you are sticking your foot a little to far out, do you stand on your toes or are you on your mid foot?

Its hard to say much without picture though.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Used to happen to me when I first hit the track, too.

I have great big feet and my toes were always touching. I learned very quickly to tuck my feet up to the point where it really is only the 'toe' of my boot on the peg when I'm deep in a turn. I think it was the terrifying cost of new boots that drove me to work hard on my foot positioning! I very seldom scrape a toe slider these days, even when I'm racing.

O.B

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was positioning the tips of the pegs between my big toe and the next toes. I was moving the tips up on the pegs at steep leans. Should I be looking to change the rear sets?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
None of the pics show much, the area where it was happening the most my pit lackey was not able to see. I did have better results by moving my boots in a bit, but wouldn't rear set adjusted back and higher prevent this?

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Higher/further back rearsets may help.

Possibly the less expensive option may just be to hang off the bike more - that's part of what I did.

By hanging off the bike more you'll usually effectively lean less, hence less toe scraping.

My 'routine' as I enter a corner is first to tuck my foot in hard against the bike with my toe on he peg, and with my inside foot in position, slide across the seat and hang off, angling the knee out as I go. It becomes a sort of automatic pivoting action.

All the best. Boots are too expensive to grind to bits.

O.B

·
Noob Hazer
12,385 Posts
Agreed I dont think rearsets will help you much becaues it now makes me think you just do not hang off the bike enough, when I lean into a corner I try to get my ass off as far as I can and I also like to put my head as far into the mirror area as possible. I like to hang off the bike though lol

But I would try what OB suggested lean off the bike more, so it lowers the center of gravity, thus needing less lean angle.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I was at Shenandoah WV this past weekend and I was having an issue with my boots scraping in the corner. I talk to a rider coach from TPM about it. He seem to think my body position was off. I was pretty certain that I was keeping decent form, but occasionally I would scrape a boot, especially when my knee puck would touch. I am still running stock sets and the track did have some negative camber corners. Just wondering if this is a body position issue or maybe new rearsets would help. Boots are pricey and I would like to sort it out before I wreck my boots...haha

Anyone run into this themselves? I am still pretty new to the track.
I was at Shenandoha also. Where you on the blue and white SE? There was another rider I was talking too on a kawi having the same problem. We figured it was the stock pegs as well. I think OB and Twowheel might be onto something though. I would try changing my foot and body position before spending money on rearsets. On another note. That track is sick. I had so much fun. I cant wait to go back in August. Ill be there August 25th and 26th. Let me know if your going we can meet up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was at Shenandoha also. Where you on the blue and white SE? There was another rider I was talking too on a kawi having the same problem. We figured it was the stock pegs as well. I think OB and Twowheel might be onto something though. I would try changing my foot and body position before spending money on rearsets. On another note. That track is sick. I had so much fun. I cant wait to go back in August. Ill be there August 25th and 26th. Let me know if your going we can meet up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com App
Yup, that was me. I am thinking its a mix of a few things. stock sets, tough track and body postion. I am going to work on body postion first. That is cheaper...lol. The heat did give me some brain fade tho.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Higher/further back rearsets may help.

Possibly the less expensive option may just be to hang off the bike more - that's part of what I did.

By hanging off the bike more you'll usually effectively lean less, hence less toe scraping.

My 'routine' as I enter a corner is first to tuck my foot in hard against the bike with my toe on he peg, and with my inside foot in position, slide across the seat and hang off, angling the knee out as I go. It becomes a sort of automatic pivoting action.

All the best. Boots are too expensive to grind to bits.

O.B
Thanks OB, I will try to work on my body position and see if that corrects it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Agreed I dont think rearsets will help you much becaues it now makes me think you just do not hang off the bike enough, when I lean into a corner I try to get my ass off as far as I can and I also like to put my head as far into the mirror area as possible. I like to hang off the bike though lol

But I would try what OB suggested lean off the bike more, so it lowers the center of gravity, thus needing less lean angle.
I will try this, I dont think I am bringing my head as forward as youre suggesting. Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
898 Posts
If I'm reading your post correctly, your foot is not on the peg properly. If the 'tip of the peg is between your big toe and the next', that means that most of your foot is OFF the peg? Tuck your foot in close to the bike.

Also, make sure you're not 'duck footing' it. What I mean is that your foot should be inline with the wheels of the bike, not angled so that your heel is crammed against the swingarm while your toes point to the cornerworker with the flag.

As far as what TwoWheeledWonder said about hanging as much of his ass as he can off the bike, I have to disagree. The world-class professional instructors that I've had (Keith Code and Jason Pridmore) disagree as well. While their approaches differ from each other, neither one of them likes to see a rider barely in place on the bike. Keith Code suggests putting the edge of the saddle in your ass-crack, so that one cheek is off the seat. Jason Pridmore actually discourages moving side to side off the seat, and suggests instead that you should simply be pivoting around the tank to get in the direction you want.

They both used samples of people hanging way the hell off the bike as examples of what NOT to do. It makes you have that much more movement and work to do to prepare for (and to recover from) the corner.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
:nono:
Higher center of gravity = less lean angle

You're most likely fuckdootting. Hang off the bike and keep your feet in and you should be alright. If your pegs dont fold, keep just your toe slider past the tip of the peg so when it touches down you know its not safe to go any lower.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I took a class last year and the instructor taught us that using the tips of pegs positioned between the toes provided a pivot point to allow the rider to quickly change position. I don't recall being told to move them in after setting up for the next turn in. But I was not appoaching the lean angles I am now. Do you guys pivot you feet using the tips of the pegs and then move you feet in? Maybe this is something that is just seems to work for this coach.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I took a class last year and the instructor taught us that using the tips of pegs positioned between the toes provided a pivot point to allow the rider to quickly change position. I don't recall being told to move them in after setting up for the next turn in. But I was not appoaching the lean angles I am now. Do you guys pivot you feet using the tips of the pegs and then move you feet in? Maybe this is something that is just seems to work for this coach.
Think of it in terms of grip. The more of your foot that's on the pegs, the more surface area you have for grip, and the more leverage you can safely use to transition your body position, as well as having more grip to plant yourself mid-turn.

I would never recommend anyone rides 'on the tips of the pegs'. And now, as you're seeing, it's causing you an issue that is limiting your ride, instead of improving it.

The peg should be at the ball of your foot , with as much of the width of your foot on the peg as you can get. This position will afford you the most flexibility and balance, paired with maximum grip.

·
Noob Hazer
12,385 Posts
If I'm reading your post correctly, your foot is not on the peg properly. If the 'tip of the peg is between your big toe and the next', that means that most of your foot is OFF the peg? Tuck your foot in close to the bike.

Also, make sure you're not 'duck footing' it. What I mean is that your foot should be inline with the wheels of the bike, not angled so that your heel is crammed against the swingarm while your toes point to the cornerworker with the flag.

As far as what TwoWheeledWonder said about hanging as much of his ass as he can off the bike, I have to disagree. The world-class professional instructors that I've had (Keith Code and Jason Pridmore) disagree as well. While their approaches differ from each other, neither one of them likes to see a rider barely in place on the bike. Keith Code suggests putting the edge of the saddle in your ass-crack, so that one cheek is off the seat. Jason Pridmore actually discourages moving side to side off the seat, and suggests instead that you should simply be pivoting around the tank to get in the direction you want.

They both used samples of people hanging way the hell off the bike as examples of what NOT to do. It makes you have that much more movement and work to do to prepare for (and to recover from) the corner.
I will continue to use my method because it works for me, but I also still see plenty of racers doing it in the higher levels. Many things I have read typically say to focus more on your upper body and make sure to point it/look where you want to go, but to also point your hips in the direction of the corner also. My text may read wrong from what I am trying to tell him, what I should have said was much more of what you said, typically my butt crack (sure you want to know this) is just passed the seat, mainly cause my legs dont go much further lol but I also have my head equal or further out depending on the corner. While this year I have not been to the track due to work like I would like to be going, but I am trying to find a picture of what I consider my body style. I remember JD gun comparing me to someone, but cant seem to remember lol, but I just feel more comfortable leaning out like I do instead of keeping my body more over the bike.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Leaning your upper body far out is not a bad thing, it's just when your have your whole damn body way off, so that you're barely connected to the bike.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts