Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
7,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I recently had my bike safety wired, so I figured I would take some extensive photos to enlighten those who have or plan to safety wire their 675's. Enjoy! :2tu

Front Brake Caliper Bolts:

Front Wheel Axle Spindle & Fork Pinch Bolts:

Rear Brake Caliper Bolts:

Rear Axle Nut:

Radiator Cap:

Misc. Radiator Hose Clamps:

Oil Filter (Hose Clamp):

Oil Cooler/Heat Exchanger & Misc. Hose Clamps:

Oil Drain Plug:

Oil Level Dipstick:

Oil Filler Cap:

Bar Grips:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Even more...

Attachments

·
Registered
7,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still more...

Attachments

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hey Shane. Are you racing the bike?

Just 2 little tips. Next time leave leave a little extra length on the tags at the end and double them over. You did it on a few that i saw, but it's a bitch to get poked with safety wire. The second tip would be to use a clip on the rear axle and oil filler. That way you could easily check oil and change the tire without rewiring every time.

·
Registered
7,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Shane. Are you racing the bike?

Just 2 little tips. Next time leave leave a little extra length on the tags at the end and double them over. You did it on a few that i saw, but it's a bitch to get poked with safety wire. The second tip would be to use a clip on the rear axle and oil filler. That way you could easily check oil and change the tire without rewiring every time.
Yup yup...ofcounsel and I will be racing WSMC next year, and are in the midst of prepping our bikes. :twisted:

Would you happen to have any pictures of the type of clip you are talking about, because I would LOVE to do this to avoid rewiring every time I want to check oil or change my tires. Also, would you mind showing me which pictures I didn't double over, and an example of which ones I did? Thank you very much for the tips, because these are the types of things that make all the difference. This is my first time safety wiring, so it's all a part of the learning curve. ;) :idea:

·
Registered
508 Posts
Shane, the tail on the rear axle nut is folded over in your pictures, the oil drain isn't.

Also, if you havent done them yet, don't forget the side case bolts that have the copper washers under them, and both of the retaining brackets where the coolant lines enter the engine case.

·
Registered
7,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Shane, the tail on the rear axle nut is folded over in your pictures, the oil drain isn't.

Also, if you havent done them yet, don't forget the side case bolts that have the copper washers under them, and both of the retaining brackets where the coolant lines enter the engine case.
I don't believe we have to safety wire those pieces. :? A reputable shop in Southern California (Lee's Cycle Service) did all the safety wiring, which is the shop that Jeremy Toye races for. They are extremely familiar with WSMC, so I doubt they would have overlooked something like that, but I could be wrong. :confused: Would you mind taking some close up shots of the pieces you are referring to so I can possibly safety wire them in the same manner? Thanks! :wave

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Shane,
You're fine on safety wiring for WSMC. What Yam350 said about the side case bolts don't apply, however, the coolant lines do. Most likely, Lee's Cycle did them.
Also, the quick release clips that were referred to earlier are called "R" clips, because they look like the letter R. You can get them at any home depot in the bolt section. But I prefer the "D" clips. These look like the letter D and fold under themselves. Much better than the R clip IMO.

Here's an R clip on the rear axel area:

I prefer these clips:

·
Registered
7,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Shane,
You're fine on safety wiring for WSMC. What Yam350 said about the side case bolts don't apply, however, the coolant lines do. Most likely, Lee's Cycle did them.
Also, the quick release clips that were referred to earlier are called "R" clips, because they look like the letter R. You can get them at any home depot in the bolt section. But I prefer the "D" clips. These look like the letter D and fold under themselves. Much better than the R clip IMO.

Here's an R clip on the rear axel area:

I prefer these clips:
Ahhhhhh...I see. I will check on the coolant line when I get home from my families house for Christmas. This line, correct? :?:

Regarding the clips, would I be able to do either the "R" or the "D" clip with the way my nut has been drilled and attached to the sub-frame pictured below? I noticed the pic you showed has the clip going all the way through the axle, so I'm not sure if simply putting a clip through the hole I have would be sufficient? Also, where do I get those clips? :?:

Thanks again for the input. :D

·
Mod & "Resident Baller"...
7,797 Posts
Shane,
The formal name for the "R clip" is a "Cotter Pin";)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just a suggestion...

Hey boss, first of all excellent job with the idea of safety wiring. I'm in the military (air wing in the Marines) and I have to safety wire hardware and connectors on aircraft daily, on the job. I've noticed that you didn't "pig tail" some of the safety wire ends, - not making a loop with the final end of the twisted wire. That loop is fairly important for maintaining safety wire integrity. I recommend using .32" aluminum safety wire for hardware. Also the wire has to be fairly tight because the bike vibes can cause the safety wire to damage components if it's rubbing against them. Otherwise good job, excellent idea! :wink:

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.